Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
terry1122 said:
Mannual or Automatic for the 04 GTO? Give your thoughts.
i usually go with the manual transmissions, just because that's plainly my opinion. but you can order the new gto with a 6 speed trans, right? cuz that's what i read once, but if im wrong, please correct me. im not familiar with the 6 speed trans. i have yet to drive a car with a 6 speed. not sure what gear to start off of. like on a 4 speed, you would start on the 2nd. to me, if you have to shift more than three or four times, then go with the automatic.

AGAIN IF IM WRONG IN ANY OF THIS, PLEASE TELL ME.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the 6 speed. It's just like any other manual transmission. You start out in 1st. You can start out in 2nd or even 3rd just like with any other manual, although I don't know why you'd really want to. The GTO does have the skip shift on the manuals, and it's a pain in the a**. If you're not going fast enough when you start off in 1st, instead of being able to shift into 2nd, it shunts you over to 4th. Anyway, I wanted the manual simply because I think they're more fun to drive. As far as having 6 gears, it's really not that big of a deal. I only use 5th and 6th when I get to highway speeds. It's really pretty cool cuz you're cruising along at 75mph and only turning about 2000rpm in 6th. Lots of goat to spare. :D Keep in mind too that if you choose the automatic, you'll pay the $1000 gas guzzler tax. It all boils down to preference though. If you have to deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, you might rather have the automatic. I live in Charlotte, NC and deal with a HUGE amount of traffic but I still wanted the manual.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Everyone seems so much more impressed with the car when they find out it's a 6spd and not an auto. Personally, I've enjoyed manuals more and I'm willing to pay the penalty when sitting in traffic. If you are going to drag race with moderate perfromance increases, then an auto is good. That's unless you want to go to an all out drag car then you will go with some type of sequential manual.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i go auto and have been slammed by many but i dont care wut others think the car is fast enough. Plus when i got my GOAT it was the last one on the lot and they cut me an even better deal if i took from their lot rather than the dealership havin 2 go fine me one. I wanted a yellow jacket w 6 speed Gto but there were none available. Now lookin back im glad i got Black.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've always preferred manuals over autos. I feel like I have that much more control over the car. Plus I love using the transmission for breaking, you get a nice throaty rumble/gurgle note from the exhaust when you downshift. Autos are nice for tons of city driving, but I can deal with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
While I prefer the manual, with this large, torquey engine and low gear ratio, the auto box doesn't give up much performance to the six speed. I'd probably be happy with either. I love the manual, though!

·
Registered
142 Posts
transmission

My preference is for the automatic, but that's because I live in a congested traffic area and did not want to deal with the manual in traffic. The manual is according to the Pontiac website .1 second quicker to 60 that the automatic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Afterglow said:
I've always preferred manuals over autos. I feel like I have that much more control over the car. Plus I love using the transmission for breaking, you get a nice throaty rumble/gurgle note from the exhaust when you downshift. Autos are nice for tons of city driving, but I can deal with it.

Thats what I would have said .More control is good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts