Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking EVERYWHERE for '65-'67 Gto, LeMans, Tempest with a Manual Tranny... but have only seen Automatic.

Did they even have any made with Manual Trannys those years?

Even looking at other classic muscle cars (Chevell, Charger, ect...) all i ever see is Auto.
Why is that?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
39 Posts
They absolutely made manuals those years. My dad had a '65 and my brother a '67 both with the Hurst linkage. These defintely had lower sales numbers, especially the '66 and '67 as the Goat had become more of a luxury muscle car compared to, say, the Dodge and Plymouth of those two years. My guess is the manual with Hurst linkage is highly sought after and, hence, hard to find. You might have more luck finding an entirely wrecked '65 somewhere in obscure junkyard, than just the tranny, since anyone selling the tranny already found it and knows what they got. (There's going to be a higher percentage of '65's with manual than other years.) Keep diggin'.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In '65 , roughly 2/3 of all GTOs built were manual transmission cars. In '66, there were twice as many manuals as automatics, and in '67 (with the debut of the TH400), autos and manuals were split about 50/50. The standard manual transmission was a 3-speed with a Hurst floor-mounted shifter. 4-speed was optional.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts