Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I haven't done it either, but in reading these forums for the past year or so there have been postings on this subject. If I recall corectly, the general feeling is that there is no gain in performance for taking out the screen. If you do the math on the amount of actual restriction in air movement past the screen it is negligible. To really make it right, get a bigger TB and CAI and leave the screen alone.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
There is a lot of debate on this. GM descreened the mass airflow sensor on the C5 Z06. That has bolstered those with the opinion that you should do the same to LS1/LS2 engines. I've heard of people breaking wires while descreening it. I've heard of people throwing codes (the mass airflow sensor is very sensitive to being dropped banged on etc... and that may happen while descreening it). Then you also lose the extra protection you get from the screen.

IMO don't do it. Any gains would be small and the risk high.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Leave it alone, yes GM descreened the Z06's, however they also completely redid the MAF table! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.