Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automobile magazine had a short blurb covering the changes found in the '05 GTO, this month. Interestingly, they suggest that one possible reason that the '04's failed to sell was that enthusiasts who remembered the 1st generation goats - particularly the late '60s models - refused to buy the new version since they lacked the visceral appeal i.e. in your face appearance, loud exhaust, etc. The magazine suggests that the new generation GTO would have sold better if it had been given a different name - maybe an entirely new one or one that is not tied to the legendary first generation GTO.

I doubt the magazine's claim but maybe there is a grain of truth to what they stated. If I had to pick a name for the americanized Monaro other than GTO, I would probably have chosen a long forgotten Pontiac model - the Can Am. It wasn't a particularly appealing car when it was introduced in 1977 but it did sell well and it conjures up images of Can Am vintage racing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RED68GTO said:
Can Ams Sold Well????

only made 1377 or so

though i have owned one and liked it OK for something unique( but slow)
It was a limited production run if I remember but they sold every one they built. :lol:

·
Registered
674 Posts
they sold every pacer that was built too. it was a flop. :willy:

the original enthusiasts of the first gto 40 years ago are in their 60s. the target is people in their 40s.

the target is the potential BMW buyer, but the car has a pushrod. wait the target is the mustang buyer, but the car has an independant rear. wait the target is....

what is the target? maybe there is none, thats why the only planned on 18k units. 99% of the population knows there is a new halo car, and dont know gm cant give them away.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tom said:
they sold every pacer that was built too. it was a flop. :willy:

the original enthusiasts of the first gto 40 years ago are in their 60s. the target is people in their 40s.

the target is the potential BMW buyer, but the car has a pushrod. wait the target is the mustang buyer, but the car has an independant rear. wait the target is....

what is the target? maybe there is none, thats why the only planned on 18k units. 99% of the population knows there is a new halo car, and dont know gm cant give them away.
Actually,,I graduated High School in 64,,,am now 58,,not quite 60,,,and love the New GTO,,,but I think you are right about many,,,,tooo many options,,,my friends are either conservative(Toyota Camrys),,,or trying to maintain their youth with a BMW>>>>

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
That is quite possibly the ugliest car I have ever seen.

BTW I agree that GTO should never have been used. IMHO GM should have brought it in as a Holden Monaro CV-- leaving the faux Pontiac stuff off and the better-looking (IMHO) Holden parts-- in a move that would be similar to what Ford did with the Merkur brand.

Of course, that was failure...so what the hell do I know?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Groucho said:
That is quite possibly the ugliest car I have ever seen.

BTW I agree that GTO should never have been used. IMHO GM should have brought it in as a Holden Monaro CV-- leaving the faux Pontiac stuff off and the better-looking (IMHO) Holden parts-- in a move that would be similar to what Ford did with the Merkur brand.

Of course, that was failure...so what the hell do I know?
As for what it should have been called, what's done is done, whether one agrees or disagrees. It would be nice, but probably too much to ask, for the auto critics and writers to move on to evaluating its merits and comparisons and stop beating a dead horse. Speaking strictly for myself, had it been called anything but "GTO," whatever interest I would have had would have come about 18 months later (I placed my deposit on my '04 in August '03).

What the heck, auto manufacturers frequently discontinue and later reintroduce models. In more cases than not, the new model bears no similarity to the original. Okay, GTO isn't just another badge, but in six important respects--V8 engine, rear wheel drive, true dual exhaust, muscle, muscle, and muscle, it bears faithful allegience to the original. And then is has the safety, handling, comfort and convenience, mileage, and other enhancements that we expect a current vehicle to have over its 40-year-old ancestor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know... They could have called it the GTO Type-R or Type-S.. that would be cool. (NOT).

Actually I think the new GTO reminds me more of a GNX than a GTO.
I think calling it the GNX would have maintained their goal of introducing a "retro car" but at the same time not tainted such a sacred icon like a GTO with a Holden transplant. I love my 04' GTO.. but I will admit I would have loved to see what design concept they would have come out with making a retro GTO from scratch.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
twolf said:
I know... They could have called it the GTO Type-R or Type-S.. that would be cool. (NOT).

Actually I think the new GTO reminds me more of a GNX than a GTO.
I think calling it the GNX would have maintained their goal of introducing a "retro car" but at the same time not tainted such a sacred icon like a GTO with a Holden transplant. I love my 04' GTO.. but I will admit I would have loved to see what design concept they would have come out with making a retro GTO from scratch.

Just my .02.
Actually, Buick is now planning to re-introduce the Grand National in 2007 and will use the same 2007 GTO all-wheel drive platform. It will be propelled by a 400 hp version of the twin turbo 3.6 liter Buick V6 - in keeping with its original concept.

G

·
gto

old school -vs- new school dont defame the nameplate,old school fast motor
no brakes, no handling,overheats, wont start,threw belts, chewed up side
gears,heat soak, vapor lock should i go on! new school my car hauls the groceries, too bad your shifter rattles,oh the tires are not enough, the spoiler
is ugly,you newbees dont know how good it has gotten,05 bigger motor,larger
wheels and brakes give me a break you cappacino sipping whiners,if you dont like the new goat "dont buy one" line up for the new lemming mustang or if
your a real man impress this old schooler and tell me about your new ferrari
the new gto like it or shut up! dismissed your mommys calling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ramair tells it like it is!........
Only time will tell how this all plays out.
I will be there when they build it here....
and they do a little more to make it look like a "goat".

Gotta Love It! :seeya:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.