Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly sure why, but they wanted to race....

I was heading into town this evening for a quick errand -- about a 7 mile drive on a rural 4-lane hwy. Leaving the subdivision, I was having a bit of fun chirping the tires, and passed the Mazda, getting up to speed -- about 65 or so. The Mazda I guess either didn't like it, or wanted to play, not sure which, but he does the fly-by then plants it next to an SUV doing about 50. not passing, not letting me pass.

So we're cruising at 50 for a while, then I see the puff of black smoke from the Millenia giving me the telltale sign that he's on the move. He goes past the SUV and I drop it to 3rd and easily pass and pull on him until about 120 before shutting it down. The Millenia is a good 4 or 5 bus lengths behind.

Interesting car technically: Millenia S's are supercharged, but have an odd exhaust stroke where the valve stays open until the piston is TDC. Called the Miller Cycle engine, it has less parasitic loss due to no real compression stroke other than what is generated by the supercharger.

Technology aside, it was no challenge for the Goat. Not exactly sure why he wanted to try. Perhaps just wanted to see what it had. Anyway, it was fun all the same!

Jim Miller
'06 M6 PBM, bone stock other than JHP gauges and bluetooth kit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be a challenge. I had a NA millenia a while back, traded it in on my 2k2 Altima 3.5. I'm not sure why they even tried ... unless they had some aftermarket stuff on there. a NA millenia is around 170 hp, I believe, and the S is around 220. weight is right around 2800, i believe, possibly upwards of 3000 ...

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
the Millenia was supposed to be Mazda's high end vehicle division Amati (I believe that was it) like Toyota's Lexus and Nissan's Infinity...it was truly built to a higher standard and I think the Millenia was well thought of in its day...I think sometimes people feel the need to try your GTO just to see how much it really has...
Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be a challenge. I had a NA millenia a while back, traded it in on my 2k2 Altima 3.5. I'm not sure why they even tried ... unless they had some aftermarket stuff on there. a NA millenia is around 170 hp, I believe, and the S is around 220. weight is right around 2800, i believe, possibly upwards of 3000 ...
They were around 3200 lbs. Still light in my opinion for a nicely equipped 4 door sedan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts