Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a meeting in Wilmington, DE, and travelling north out of Baltimore on I-95 there's a speed trap: Marked Crown Vic pulling radar. My Bel 995 see's it in plenty of time, and I slow down.

Over the next rise is an '04 Phantom Black Goat loaded down with antenna's catching the radio from the marked cruiser I'd already passed.

I wave to the nice Trooper, seeing as how I'm driving my '06 Phantom Black Goat.

He smiles and pulls out! YIKES!:eek: :willy:

But he passes me to catch a T-bird! :cheers :lol:

Just be careful out there!

Also spotted a Trooper driving a Charger SRT-8 as well.

Oh, and finally, one last comment on car spotting: '68 Goat in Wilmington! Sweet!:party:

Jim Miller

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a local news item on the Chargers: Seems the Crown Vics only have 250 HP and they're looking for more to keep up with the new muscle...

Also, I seem to recall they were siezed cars, so really no sweat off my tax dollars...

JM

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I think Crown Vics were really done 15-20 years ago. Kinda like the the Checker, a great taxi cab stays on way past it's due.

Down here in Florida they have a few Mercury Marauder's that have been worked over by a tuner. They have the 4.6l 3v engine with a supercharger and are for long term durability testing. A state trooper I was talking to at a drag strip told me they run low to mid 12's and top out in the 175 range.

Pennsylvania takes the cake for unmarked cruisers though. I think half of the state police's fleet is unmarked, mostly Crown Vics, but I've seen Mercury Sables, Mercedes E-class AMG's :eek: , Ford Explorers, an Audi A6, a Neon SRT4, along with others. I think anything they seize gets put into the fleet. I remeber seeing in the late 80's a bunch of Regal T-Types, and some Audi Quattros in the snowy mountains.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crown Vics were only just replaced with the Five Hundred in the last year or two.

Jim M.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The_Goat said:
Glad to see my hard earned tax dollars at work.
Yea, me too. SRT8?.........somebody's getting too much budget money IMO.:cheers

JET

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Crown Vic is still being made and will be at least through 2008.
I had two Mercury Marauders '03 and '04. Great cars with 302 hp stock.
But it was going to cost $10,000 to get 400+ hp with a Supercharger kit so I just put that money into a '06 GTO. I do miss the room on the MM but the ride, comfort, stereo, handling, speed, quiter ride, etc. of the GTO often makes me forget the four years I drove the Marauder.

Hey, I probably could have put the GTO in the trunk of the Marauder.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GTOtbird said:
Hey, I probably could have put the GTO in the trunk of the Marauder.
Hey! Then you could claim 700+ hp! :cheers :rofl: :willy:

Seriously though, how much weight are those MM's carrying around? ~300 hp with that much heft I would imagine would be kinda tough, wouldn't it?

JM

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
GTJimbO said:
Hey! Then you could claim 700+ hp! :cheers :rofl: :willy:

Seriously though, how much weight are those MM's carrying around? ~300 hp with that much heft I would imagine would be kinda tough, wouldn't it?

JM
The Crown Vic and Mercury Marauder are fairly light for how big they are. The Marauder weighs in at 4200 lbs. Compare that to the Shelby GT500 Mustang that is only 150lbs lighter. The Crown Vic is about a 100 lbs lighter.

A road test showed 0-60 in 7.5 and a 15.5 1/4 mile at 90mph for the Marauder. The last road test I saw of the Crown Vic with the police package was 8.5 to 60 and a 16.1 1/4 mile at a high 80's mph.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Too much budget $$?

If I were at point B needing assistance, I'd want my local Blue to jump into a GTO at point A to haul a$$ over. Besides, every GTO they buy = less fixed cost for the rest of us to absorb.

Oh yeah, one more benefit.... if you get hauled in, at least you'll be comfy in the back seat, haha!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.