Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Melted engine paint on exhaust ports?

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  66tempestGT 
#1 ·
I had my engine rebuilt... The machine shop did a beautiful job. I put the engine in and I let it get too hot and the paint burnt off around the exhaust ports on the heads. Now that it is tuned and running cooler is it worth touching up the paint or will it happen again?

When I was breaking in my engine it climbed to about 220 before I turned it off. I invested in an engine shroud and it runs great around 190.

See less See more
#2 ·
i used the duplicolor pontiac metallic blue and had it up to over 220 after shutdown before i got my fan and shroud correct and it barely discolored it on the heads no flaking, i would touch it up, you know that flaked paint will catch your eye every time you open the hood...:(

#6 ·
Another solution is to paint that area with high temp silver or cast gray paint. The Pontiac blue isn't available in a paint rated high enough to withstand exhaust port temps. The cast gray or silver isn't a perfect solution, but it's better than the rust color that you wind up with otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.