Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I am new to the forum and thought i would share with you some 'handywork' carried out on my 66' Lemans by previous owners.I live in northern Sweden and bought the car down in Stockholm,a seven hour drive away last november.I immediately put the car in a friends barn for winter and only brought it home last weekend,as you can see from the photo's i think i was lucky to have made it home that night.The unfused fusebox is a dangerous joke and the non original shifter was only held on with two self tappers,no electrics connected to it and a random hole cut for the shifter cable.
I removed the horrendous rear shelf speakers from the door panels to discover the holes had been cut out with what i can only assume was a large blunt chisel and a sledge hammer,the same goes for hole in the dashboard where the radio used to be.That was day one,god help me,i think i have my work cut out for me with this one,it's a shame because the car is solid and straight,just been in the ownership of morons!

DSCN1785.JPG

DSCN1786.JPG

DSCN1788.JPG

DSCN1784.JPG

DSCN1787.JPG

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Looks like yours was bastardized too.

Many of us can relate to the atrocities performed on these things.
I could fill a page with what I ran into.
The most egresses: Some MORON used a compression fitting on the drivers front brake line. The fitting chaffed on the chassis. It was that bad when discovered it was on the verge of blowing thorough, the brake line was barely intact at the joint. Here's the kicker... I got a receipt from the previous owner on brake work performed. All signs point to Monro Muffler.

They have stooges working there too.....

Your fuse box has a lot of life left on it!!!!!!!!! :lol: The fuses are remarkable. :willy:

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Yep, those are some heavy duty fuses. Lifetime guarantee! I must say I've never seen that before... I couldn't tell you how many different bolts I found on my car. The previous guy must have used whatever he had on the shelf at the time. Including drywall screws for the headlight bezel.....

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
at least its solid, those are the easy things to fix (and cheap because its mostly your labor)....welcome and keep the pics coming, lot of us Tempest/LeMans guys around here....:cheers

Looks like our friend Nick Lidstrom will be coming home, saw him last night at a RHCP concert he got a ten minute standing ovation form his fans here in The Motor City

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep,at least it's solid,a little bit of welding needed here and there.The paint job is bloody awful,i think Stevie Wonder painted with rattle cans.It's also had a staggering 26 owners,apparently american cars can change hands 2 or 3 times in one summer in Sweden (im English not Swedish) they must get bored easily!Someones dropped a 76' 400 in it coupled to a TH350 and it runs pretty sweet,so all i have to do is give it a complete strip down,bare metal re-spray,complete new interior and a few thousand on new parts and it will be as good as new.Oh yes build a garage to do it all in as well!

DSCN1586.JPG

DSCN1588.JPG

DSCN1592.JPG

DSCN1596.JPG

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Yeah, I love those special sprial wound fuses, wonder if he had those made up custom?

:rofl:

Even with all that, it still looks like you've got a solid base to build a nice car.

Bear

·
Registered
240 Posts
Despite the previous handywork, you still have a nice solid project. Good luck with it. And Instg8ter, are you a Wings fan? Life long and long suffering Islander fan here. Yzerman was always one of my favorites.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts