Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, there's some metal like sludge in the engine of my 400!!its in a 1970 GTO . the reason i opened up the oil is that i saw oil mixed with water and stuff under car after a day of driving.opened up the pan and saw this!!!
any input guys?

Thank you

·
Registered
910 Posts
is it hard chunks ? clean a chunk off for us

if its soft it might be bearing material .... way too much to be assembly lube

have you opened your oil filter ?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Might be some type of stop leak/sealant that the previous owner put in it knowing it had a leak in the system? Doesn't look to good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It looks like what you have there is...sludge! If you pull a valve cover, you’ll see the same thing caked on the inside of the valve cover and on top of the head. It’s the stuff that colors your oil black, just settled out of solution.

Absolutely 100% normal. It’s not a problem unless:
1) It contains metal flakes. Silvery or brass colored.
2) The oil contains water. Oil in the water makes it look brown (not black) and cloudy, like gravy. Your write up said you had oil and water on the floor. I read that as oil drops and water drops, but not (creamy, brown) oil mixed with water. You have oil leaks and water leaks. These old cars were never 100% housebroken! I would chase the coolant leaks first.
3) Excessive sludge can plug the oil pump intake screen. Clean this and the pan while you have it apart.

The primary cause of sludge is combustion gasses getting past the rings. All cars have some blow-by. Old tired engines have more. The detergent packages included in the oil are intended to keep these combustion by-products in suspension so that they are drained out with the oil.

“Back in the day”, your car may have been run on non-detergent oil, hastening the creation and accumulation of sludge. Or the oil may not have been changed as often as recommended. I’m assuming you’re running a good quality oil and changing it every 3000 miles. The new oil will gradually dissolve the sludge accumulation, and you oil will blacken quickly. The remaining accumulations in the bottom of the pan and in the corners of the head ARE NOT A PROBLEM unless they are disturbed (clean the oil pan and oil pump screen while you have it apart).

Short trips can hasten the creation of sludge. Combustion by-products contain water vapor which condenses inside the engine and helps form sludge. Try to make frequent trips of 20 miles or more to fully warm the engine and the oil and boil off the water. Make sure your PCV system is hooked up and functioning properly.

Your engine is not new. Does it need to be rebuilt? Probably not. Indicators that it’s time for a rebuild are (in my opinion):
1) Excessive smoke out the tailpipe.
2) Low and uneven compression.
3)Bad noises from inside the engine.

So what should you do today? Investigate the oil and water leaks. If it’s a few drops, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If it’s leaving puddles, it may need attention.

Expect leaks from the front and rear main seals. These can be expensive to repair, so you probably want to just feed the leak. Except that you already have the oil pan off!! Is the engine still in the frame? I think it’s possible (thigh difficult) to change the rear main seal with the engine still in the car. This might be worth doing, since you’re already in so deep.

Easily repairable oil leaks may occur at the valve covers or oil pressure sending unit.

All water leaks should be fixed. Check the weep hole on the water pump. Check all hoses. Do not overfill the radiator.

You may want to run some Motor Medic, Sea Foam, Motor Flush, or similar product just before your next oil change.

Have fun, and keep ‘em rollin’ !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I looked a little closer at the second picture, and there may be something abnormal going on. Normal sludge is black through-and-through. It looks like you’ve got gray mixed in.

If the chunks are normal sludge, they will be black inside if you crush them. Anything else is probably a problem.

Can you wash some of the chunks with brake cleaner or carb cleaner? What color are they? Are they magnetic?

Some possibilities:
Some cars had plastic teeth on the timing gear. These can crumble and fail.
Silver stuff that doesn’t stick to a magnet would be aluminum. Silver stuff that sticks to a magnet would be iron or steel. Neither one good! Possibly valve train bits.
Red, blue, black, or silver rubbery stuff probably overzealous application of RTV.
I don’t see tan color, so I don’t think you’ve got water in the oil, so you can probably rule out blown head gasket.

How was the car running? Has the engine been rebuilt? Recently? Any funny noises? Flat tappet or roller cam? What type gear on the distributor? Aluminum rocker arms?

I had assumed an older, undisturbed engine. If it has been recently rebuilt, the possibilities and probabilities are different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts