Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody run these valve covers. I am cleaning, sanding, more cleaning and more sanding these valve covers getting them ready for painting. Just wondering if anyone runs these, how well they seal with the a good basket. I am thinking of
replacing the standard blue ones on my 455, as I have a slight leak at the valve cover and need to redo the gaskets.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I have run the old Cal Custom finned aluminum covers. Because they don't bend like the steel ones, they seal really well. I'm running the stock chrome ones these days, though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks I will post some pics after painting them and get them installed

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a set of M/T that I bought at a swap for cheap. They are on the wall now but could come down soon. I wonder how they would come out with a powdercoat job?;)

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I've also seen them powdercoated, except for the top of the ribs, the top flat rectangle, an the M/T....they are all flat and level, and polish just those parts....very cool and nostalgic looking.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay I got my covers painted I used VHT wrinkle plus 350 paint. Three coats and I think they look fantastic. I was thinking about sanding the letters and gills to aluminum finish for some contrast but I am liking the black on black a lot more as that is more my style. Now just waiting on the gaskets from summit. Hope to get them installed this week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Nice buy.....I'm waiting for word on a set of Billet-Tek covers from Tin Indian...I have "special needs" or would grab up a set of finned aluminum covers........:cheers

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
make sure they do not send the 5 bolt ones, those are not Pontiac (pic1)...pic 3 are the Pontiacs 4 bolts...nice covers, looking for a good deal on some M/T's myself.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
And I thought I was the only one that noticed that... lol.... I have a pair of M/T's myself. They're a pain in the rectum to clean. I'm going to opt for a set of chrome Edelbrock covers. Their basic, easy to clean style. Haven't looked real close, but it seems I might have to take the wiper motor off to get the M/T cover off on the one side..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
if you decide to get rid of them Green PM me....i have tall chrome and with the bigger brake booster mine are tight but the will come off w/o having to remove it or the washer pump

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I can do that. I even bought a set of Felpro gaskets and T-bar bolts awhile ago. Just need the covers.......

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Just bug me every once in awhile so I don't forget. The only reason I mention that is, I'm pretty busy at work right now. Last I saw, our local(25 miles away) O'Reilly store has 1 set of Edelbrock covers. Wouldn't ya know it, they're for a Pontiac!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi.

I have a pair of ally MT covers on a 389' they have the "Pontiac" logo embossed on the surface area where the breather hole usually is and finned MT breather boxes on the sides instead. I was told these are rare and havent seen any like this yet. I believe they date around mid sixties. Anyone else seen a pair like these?? :cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts