Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles are you guys getting on your rear tires? I've just replaced my bald BF Goodrich tires after only 14K miles. :eek: Have'nt really been racing or smokin em up. Just curious.

·
Registered
58 Posts
As a point of reference.. I just had my goat in the shop to have my "free" oil change and had them change the 6speed over to royal purple and all change the differential over to rp. 7500 miles.. 2nd oil change... anyway.. they were supposed to rotate the tires but when i picked it up and asked,,, if they did they said,,no.. there was more tread on the back than on the front.. guess the in town driving is worse than the taking off (no burn outs but a few nice black stripes since i got her)..said there was about 1/2 the tread left..so i figure about 14k and they will be history.. which is about what i got out of my 02 6banger camaro... so.. i'm happy.. i have read some guys here only got about 5 to 6k..

·
Registered
70 Posts
With 15K I plan to replace my tire/wheel setup in another 5K. I've t ried to have these wheels balanced a few times and they still shake. Finally I spun them on the car off the ground and noticed they are out of round dispite regular rotations. I'm disappointed and will choose Bridgestone S-03 next.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Amazingly, I got 40k out of my last set of Dunlop SP Sport FM901 245/40ZR18s. These tires weren't babied, either...and at ~$120/ea at Tire Rack, they were cheap.

Needless to say, I bought them again. :cheers

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you have 14-15K on the stock Goodrich tires consider yourself lucky. The tires are junk. I got 8K out of mine and my wifes are about gone at 7K. The dealers agree the tires are terrible. They have started to put that tire on some model Cadilacs and are only getting 6K out of them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That is pretty good, I only had a little over 4,000 on mine. The back were pretty bald.I have Summitomas on it now, have about 9,000 on those.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
toolman said:
I have 7500 on mine now and the fronts look brand new, the rears are going to need replaced this spring though :rofl:
what am i not doing lol. have have very close to 10,000 on mine and they look brand new. i made a deal with the wife. i will not buy a set of driff and new rims until mine stockers need new shoes :willy: . i chrip mine every chance i get and did about 5 burnouts (2 real good ones) and i had atleast 2 strips on the road at a red light.

G

·
since your an auto, im guessing your spinning the tires so everloving quick they dont have time to burnoff any rubber from the tread!

GO AUTOS !!!

lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Got a bit over 9000 on my Goats tires and visually there is no difference between front and rear.

During my late teens, I bought (with my parents money) a new 1967 GTX that had Firestone Wide Ovals. Rear tires only lasted 5000 miles until they were bald. The front tires lasted till 20,000 miles. Finally figured out that a heavy right foot was the problem.

Mother said the original tires were on her and the two rear replacements were my nickel.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
EEZ GOAT said:
what am i not doing lol. have have very close to 10,000 on mine and they look brand new. i made a deal with the wife. i will not buy a set of driff and new rims until mine stockers need new shoes :willy: . i chrip mine every chance i get and did about 5 burnouts (2 real good ones) and i had atleast 2 strips on the road at a red light.
Same here. I have about 13,000 miles on the stock BFG's and they have plenty of life left. I expect about 30-40K out of them. Like the rest of you, I have the occasional urge to stand on the gas in 1st gear but I don't do that very often. The tires are wearing evenly and they haven't slipped out of balance. On the other hand, I did have a sidewall failure on the right rear at about 90MPH.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Same here. I have about 13,000 miles on the stock BFG's and they have plenty of life left. I expect about 30-40K out of them. Like the rest of you, I have the occasional urge to stand on the gas in 1st gear but I don't do that very often. The tires are wearing evenly and they haven't slipped out of balance. On the other hand, I did have a sidewall failure on the right rear at about 90MPH.
failure at 90 :willy: was it a complete blow out or was it just rumble rumble rumble?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.