Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Mistaken Identity

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  BARONGTO 
#1 ·
So yesterday afternoon, me and my ex were standing outside next to the gto when we see a light green car drives by (looked like a mazda). A couple of minutes later, the same car goes by. A couple of minutes later, the same thing. Then, after the third pass, they stop and two girls come out (who happened to know my ex) and decide to take a closer look at the goat. They give compliments on its looks and one of the girls says it doesn't look like the new g6s:eek: . Before I could say anything, my ex asked her if she was stupid and that it is a gto not a g6. It was cool though, and now there are two more people that are now know what a gto looks like :cool .

Oh, and Happy Fathers Day to all the fellow dads out there!

#2 ·
Good that your ex set them straight! :)

What I think is funny, is when people standing next to the GTO while it is parked, or stopped, ask what type of car it is or call it a (Grand Am/G6/Something Else) when all they have to do is read the darn nameplate! Is it that hard to see the letters "GTO" on the side? :willy:

#3 ·
Clueless said:
Good that your ex set them straight! :)

What I think is funny, is when people standing next to the GTO while it is parked, or stopped, ask what type of car it is or call it a (Grand Am/G6/Something Else) when all they have to do is read the darn nameplate! Is it that hard to see the letters "GTO" on the side? :willy:
I wanna put some G6 emblems on mine! That would be fun.

#7 ·
How The H***

tap goat said:
So yesterday afternoon, me and my ex were standing outside next to the gto when we see a light green car drives by (looked like a mazda). A couple of minutes later, the same car goes by. A couple of minutes later, the same thing. Then, after the third pass, they stop and two girls come out (who happened to know my ex) and decide to take a closer look at the goat. They give compliments on its looks and one of the girls says it doesn't look like the new g6s:eek: . Before I could say anything, my ex asked her if she was stupid and that it is a gto not a g6. It was cool though, and now there are two more people that are now know what a gto looks like :cool .

Oh, and Happy Fathers Day to all the fellow dads out there!

I honestly don't know how people do that I can insatly tell what one is. If anybody does not know what my car is I Personaly tell them of or publicy embaresed them!!! Besides ther is a biga** symblo on the side it really piss me off when people do that!!!!!!!

#8 ·
Driving out of MIS yesterday after the NASCAR race many people made positive comments about the GTO including some Canadians who can't legally get one, I guess car people know what is what.
One of the people I got to visiting with from Autoweek told me that part of the reason for the exhaust setup and lack of hood scoops on the 04s had to do with the 04s getting their certification being based of the Grand Prix's. I still do not know if this makes sense to me or not.

#9 ·
Don said:
... told me that part of the reason for the exhaust setup and lack of hood scoops on the 04s had to do with the 04s getting their certification being based of the Grand Prix's. I still do not know if this makes sense to me or not.
I don't know enough about car import laws to know if this makes sense enough or not. However, I got the impression that the 04 was the way it was because that's how the Monaro was (or at least I don't think the Monaro didn't have hood scoops in 04 or older.) From what I hear, the Monaro was considered a stylish car in Australia, but once imported here it was considered bland. The split exhaust and hood scoops were part of the plan to spice up the car some without doing a major overhaul, in the chance that it might appeal more to the American market.

#11 ·
Don said:
Driving out of MIS yesterday after the NASCAR race many people made positive comments about the GTO including some Canadians who can't legally get one, I guess car people know what is what.
One of the people I got to visiting with from Autoweek told me that part of the reason for the exhaust setup and lack of hood scoops on the 04s had to do with the 04s getting their certification being based of the Grand Prix's. I still do not know if this makes sense to me or not.
I remember an episode of "AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR" that said the only way to "sneak" it into the states as an 04 was to put it in the same clasification as a Grand Prix. If you have I-TUNES go to "TV SHOWS" in the itunes music store. In there there are episodes of American Muscle Car. There is one titled "2004 GTO: The Muscle car is back" This shows tells all about that.

#14 ·
Clueless said:
Ah, thanks PJ. I was thinking of it from a different angle. From the sounds of this, it was more to get the approval in time for the MY04, whereas the usual red tape would have pushed it into MY05.
HERE'S MORE TO THE "I HEARD" THEORIES;

I HEARD THAT LUTZ WANTED HOOD SCOOPS ON THE 2004 GTO, BUT IN ORDER TO GET THE HOOD CERTIFIED AS "CRASHWORTHY" IT WOULD HAVE DELAYED BRINGING THE CAR TO MARKET. SO, RATHER THAN WAIT A FEW MONTHS AND DO IT RIGHT, THEY BROUGHT THE GOAT TO MARKET WITHOUT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.