Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There I was, minding my own damned business on the 99 this a.m...cruise set at 80, Starbucks coffee in the cupholder, and Opie and Anthony on the XM. I approach the jellybean-looking ass end of an '06 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6, still wearing dealer plates, and slide over to to the left lane to pass it. Suddenly seeing it was about to be overtaken by a goat, the weasel driving the Mitsu puts his foot down.

I hate that.

My foot gets heavier. Weird how that happens. He's pulling away. On, no. That won't do at all. I pop the stick towards the firewall and engage 5th....the pulling away decreases and is very quickly arrested. I start reeling him in. The Overspeed chime reminds me that I have just hit 120...but my ear is more tuned to the song of the LS1 and to the possiblility of a Ka-band signalling "Brap!" from the Valentine One. I come by the guy and give him a polite "Buh-bye now" wave as I negotiate the obstacle course of big rigs and farmworker rattletraps that I've quickly closed on.

Splash One Zero.

Getting to work, I accessed the Trip Computer page of the Garmin Que GPS on my phone. Top speed, 131 mph. The limiter of that Mitsu is at 134mph (yeah- I looked it up) so he ran out of balls before he ran out of software.

He passed me 15 miles or so up the road, just before the Grapevine climb on the 5. He didn't even look over.

Ah, just another commute.

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
Three thoughts:

1. I thought all other cars bowed down to the mighty Eclipse. At least that's what their television ads want you to think.

2. The idea of hyping a speed limiter that's a lot higher than what the engine can produce is a neat idea. "Yeah, my Eclipse is limited at the factory to only 200 mph" when it can't do more than a 120. Interesting gimmick for the ricer set. I love it.

3. You have to be an idiot to try to race a 5.7 hipo V8 with a 6 banger Eclipse. Know your enemy -- and learn to pick your battles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
b_a_betterperson said:
3. You have to be an idiot to try to race a 5.7 hipo V8 with a 6 banger Eclipse. Know your enemy -- and learn to pick your battles.
Maybe he thought it was a G6? :lol:

A guy on ls1gto.com was giving me ****e about not dropping her into 4th and making chop suey out of the Eclipse...as if I've sullied the GTO name by not immediately and completely annihilating him.

Stupid.

I guess it all comes down to this: When my wife calls me in the kitchen to kill a spider, I don't run and get my .45 ACP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
It's almost everyday some idiot tries to race. I try to size up the competition and see if i should waste the gas, but wind up just blowing the opponent away no matter what it is.

This outta get you to scratch or maybe bang your head on the wall....

An early 2000's CAMRY is literally stalking me...I blow him away, not once, not twice, but a third time....miles later he's trying to get me to roll down my window as he's hanging out of his car right next to me on the highway. So I roll my window down to see what this joker wants. Could you believe that he wanted to race me with his Camry (with rims + 50 hp, plus wing + 25 hp - so they think LOL :rofl: )

He said..............Race me the 1/4 mile and if you win, I'll give you 5 grand! WTF is this guy smoking! :lol:

So I smiled, waved bye bye, and took off like a bat out of hell (for the 4th time) Frikken people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
I had a Galant witn the v6 that comes in the eclipse, it was a dog! I cant belive that they ditched the mighty 4g63 turbo for the turd that is in them now. I have a 95 Talon that is reasonably quick and would smoke a new eclipse from the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Good kill
My story is very much like yours.

I ran up on one of those new Eclipses (paper tags) on my way home from work. We ended up side by side at a red light. We both left the line slow waiting and watching each other. Then we both nailed the gas about 1/2 way through 1st gear.
I pulled on him steadily up to about 80 (he gave up). I probably had
5 cars. It's was hard to tell.
I posted the kill in another forum and caught some flack from some of the guys. I guess we are only supposes to race Vettes, Cobras, and Porsche. That would be nice but that's not all that out there. I can wait weeks if not months for a good race against a Vette, etc.

Heck, I'll race a Chevy Suburban if he thinks he can beat me. Some people just need a good beating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Just last week I raced a porsche boxter. After smoking him off the line, I hit about 90. Where i had him by a good 4 or 5 cars,he pulls up next to me. Then asks if I want to race for money.I just smiled and said, why dont you go get a Vw to race you. Heck you might even win. :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I agree with some of you guys that you should pick and choose who to annihalate, because it is not worth it to just waste gas on an economy car. It is so annoying when I go out for a drive in Queens and someone pulls up to me and revs their engine to race and give me dirty looks.

My trick now is that I rev my motor slightly at the light and just barely move my car when it turns green then I slowly roll away while the ass next to me slams the pedal to the ground and make themselves feel stupid peeling out trying to race me with their Integra, Civic, V-6 Stang etc.. It pisses people off every time!!!

I don't know if I am a prick for doing this but it is funny, try it sometime on the lessers. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
937 Posts
Goat Herder said:
I agree with some of you guys that you should pick and choose who to annihalate, because it is not worth it to just waste gas on an economy car. It is so annoying when I go out for a drive in Queens and someone pulls up to me and revs their engine to race and give me dirty looks.

My trick now is that I rev my motor slightly at the light and just barely move my car when it turns green then I slowly roll away while the ass next to me slams the pedal to the ground and make themselves feel stupid peeling out trying to race me with their Integra, Civic, V-6 Stang etc.. It pisses people off every time!!!

I don't know if I am a prick for doing this but it is funny, try it sometime on the lessers. :D
Its not funny at all. I had some Bitc* do this to me yesterday in Mercedes SLK. I felt like a total dick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
1BadGoat said:
Just last week I raced a porsche boxter. After smoking him off the line, I hit about 90. Where i had him by a good 4 or 5 cars,he pulls up next to me. Then asks if I want to race for money.I just smiled and said, why dont you go get a Vw to race you. Heck you might even win. :rofl:
Was it an S?

Good thing the road didn't turn. :cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
II-Savy said:
Was it an S?

Good thing the road didn't turn. :cool
Hey, whats up...... haven't seen you around! BTW, do you know anyone who is looking for an Orange '03 Mazdaspeed Protege'? It's all original w/ 15k miles on the clock.... my girl wants a Jeep again. Let me know! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Hey, whats up...... haven't seen you around! BTW, do you know anyone who is looking for an Orange '03 Mazdaspeed Protege'? It's all original w/ 15k miles on the clock.... my girl wants a Jeep again. Let me know! :cheers
The orange is cool. 15k is low miles also. If you really want to sell it I would post an ad here. People are looking for them all the time.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=131

A Jeep huh? I'm sorry. :seeya:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
II-Savy said:
Good thing the road didn't turn. :cool
Yeah, I hate it when the road Turns..... but quite fond of curves :rolleyes: What do u drive Mustang or Ricer? Because I've read 3 of your posts today and at best you gave a back-handed compliment to the GTO....You sound thirsty....nearly Parched.....need a little HATERADE? :agree
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Goatacular said:
Yeah, I hate it when the road Turns..... but quite fond of curves :rolleyes: What do u drive Mustang or Ricer? Because I've read 3 of your posts today and at best you gave a back-handed compliment to the GTO....You sound thirsty....nearly Parched.....need a little HATERADE? :agree
I was speaking of the S model. More HP, mid engine. You do the math.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top