Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello hello,
New here, just bought an 04 on Saturday. Already smoked a stang GT and some little rice racer. I promised myself I'd drive conservatively to avoid tickets (insurance has gone up a little). But it was too much fun and now I'm thinking mods. I've done mechanical work before, but never with increased performance as the goal...mostly just to keep the crappy old pickup I've got running.
So I'm putting together a plan and I thought I'd run it by the folks here, as you all seem pretty dang knowledgeable. Can't just go out and drop 3g's, so I'm planning for steps here... and they go as follows:

K&N intake
MAF sensor
DiabloSport programmer
Larger throttle body (reccomendations on brands welcome)
Some sort of exhaust upgrade (again, reccomendations welcomed)

Anyone have any thoughts on the logic of doing things in this order...anything I left out? I really enjoy reading the posts here, and I'd appreciate any help anyone could give me in developing this plan.

WOOHOO its my first post! :cheers

·
Registered
590 Posts
welcome to the board. I've always gotten more air in first. K&N = you will notice a difference. be sure to cut some of the mounting plate on bottom where it mounts. it comes from K&N with a portion blocking the large hole made for air in from under the car. you'll see what I mean. I also drilled about 50 holes in same area.

without modding exhaust i jumped off into cam package= cam, springs, retainers, and tune. now i couldn't get enough gases out. cut the resonators out and the car can breathe :D it's a beast; different animal now.

alot of guys are liking the kooks headers, long tubes.

i'm gonna port the stock headers as experiment

this pig drinks fuel now, i can't imagine if you change MAF, sensor, etc...

I'm done for mods for now :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
westell said:
without modding exhaust i jumped off into cam package= cam, springs, retainers, and tune. now i couldn't get enough gases out. cut the resonators out and the car can breathe :D it's a beast; different animal now.

alot of guys are liking the kooks headers, long tubes.

i'm gonna port the stock headers as experiment

this pig drinks fuel now, i can't imagine if you change MAF, sensor, etc...

I'm done for mods for now :D
Thanks for the advice (good call on the K&N cutting, I'll look at it when it arrives in a couple of days)
Part of my logic for putting things in the order I did was to avoid voiding the warranty for as long as possible. Or at least stick to mods that were easily reversible if needed...so a new cam is probably towards the bottom of the list :cool
Have people found real performance gains from swapping exhaust (with stock cam) or is the biggest attraction just the sound?
Thanks again! :cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts