Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious. What do you guys know about tuned Grand Prix's being able to compete, if not beat high performance rear wheel drive vehicles. I ran into this site that has a ton of tricked GP's that swear that they are running 11's-13's in 1/4 miles. Some are even boasting 400 hp. Is this possible just through tuning or are they dropping bigger engines in a Grand Prix?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
So many years ago.... I test drove and was thinking about buying a GTP. (glad I didn't at the time)

They have 3.8 V6's that are suprcharged (260hp?). I would assume if you could build a v8 to 650+ HP, you could also build a V6 to 400+ HP.

A GP at 11.9 ??? That would be a reach for a 3.8 V6 (in the GTP)




Don't tell anybody but I've always liked the GTP :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
Robertr2000 said:
So many years ago.... I test drove and was thinking about buying a GTP. (glad I didn't at the time)

They have 3.8 V6's that are suprcharged (260hp?). I would assume if you could build a v8 to 650+ HP, you could also build a V6 to 400+ HP.

A GP at 11.9 ??? That would be a reach for a 3.8 V6 (in the GTP)




Don't tell anybody but I've always liked the GTP :rolleyes:
Had an 03 in my shop that had a tune, headers and (claimed) head work.felt like it could run high 12's/low 13's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
Had an 03 in my shop that had a tune, headers and (claimed) head work.felt like it could run high 12's/low 13's.
:agree I'm starting to learn that (we all) need to be humble on the road. ANY car could beat you and any given day. You just don't know what's gonna be under the other guys hood. :eek:


(that's why I bout the GTO :D Cus the "other guys" don't know what THEY are dealing with :lol: (usually :rolleyes: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Not a reach at all- read up on them a bit. There are some running faster than that using nitrous also. Pulley (increased boost), exhaust, tuning, etc. make a HUGE difference in those cars. Man, you guys need to get out more lol :). There are a lot of fast non V-8 cars out there. I have had 4 12 second and faster 4 cylinder Eagle Talons- one was damn near stock with just an exhaust and boost controller that ran [email protected], the other was a stock motor and such with an upgraded turbo, exhaust, boost, tuning, etc. that ran [email protected], next was even bigger turbo, front mount intercooler, etc that ran [email protected], then the last was a fully built motor, ported head, bigger turbo, stand alone, etc. that I never got to the track with, but it put 487 to the wheels and completely smoked the 11.5 car on the street one night (a friend owned it after me) :). There are plenty of low 11, high 10 second Talons roaming the streets, but unfortunately, there are also plenty of ricers owning them with every mod money can buy running 14's with them and ruining their reputation. Well, actually, for the street race guys that actually have fast ones- that's not a bad thing :). Heck, a buddy of mine has a 92 Talon with an upgraded turbo, exhaust, stand alone, etc. on a stock motor putting a 410 hp.377 ft-lbs to the wheels on a conservative tune. He put a HURTING on my 05 GTO the other night from a 60 mph roll on :(.

I agree though- the GTP is a sharp looking car. I am trying to get the wife to look at the new 5.3 V8 GTP also, I'd like to see how they run. I think that would make a nice nitrous sleeper car :). If not, I would like the GT 3.8 supercharged so I can do some bolt ons. They really can run with the right mods!! Problem is what the wife needs for a car and what I want her to get are two different things....
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Robertr2000 said:
:agree I'm starting to learn that (we all) need to be humble on the road. ANY car could beat you and any given day. You just don't know what's gonna be under the other guys hood. :eek:


(that's why I bout the GTO :D Cus the "other guys" don't know what THEY are dealing with :lol: (usually :rolleyes: )

Speaking of- I had the GTO out Friday night (same night the talon handed me my ass :( ) and there was a guy with a 90's rustang GT with exhaust, gears, etc. talking smack to a lot of us. We tried to get him to race the talon and he said "hell no, I saw him launch it over there", so then I played the "how about that red Pontiac G6 V6 car over there" and he was starting to take the bait :). Then the wife who was in the car tried to get my attention by revving the motor. Needless to say, after the "wtf? That ain't no 6 cylinder" stuff, the race was off :lol: .
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
I've been trying to read up as much as i can about GTP's. 3800's are strong as nails. There's a turbo kit out now for GT's and GTP's that has them dynoing 290hp and 430lb ft. on a completely STOCK GT.

For some reason those motors make crazy torque curves, fastest newish GTP i've heard of was an 04' doing 11.4. Heavily modded and it was on 96 octane, but i'm pretty sure all its mods were within the reach of $5k or less. Lots of the internals remained stock with the major changes being a different cam, and lifters.

Certainly not to be underestimated. They're the type of car that can do amazing things for little money, but you need to know exactly what you want to accomplish, and exactly what you need to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Not a reach at all- read up on them a bit. There are some running faster than that using nitrous also. Pulley (increased boost), exhaust, tuning, etc. make a HUGE difference in those cars. Man, you guys need to get out more lol :). There are a lot of fast non V-8 cars out there. I have had 4 12 second and faster 4 cylinder Eagle Talons- one was damn near stock with just an exhaust and boost controller that ran [email protected], the other was a stock motor and such with an upgraded turbo, exhaust, boost, tuning, etc. that ran [email protected], next was even bigger turbo, front mount intercooler, etc that ran [email protected], then the last was a fully built motor, ported head, bigger turbo, stand alone, etc. that I never got to the track with, but it put 487 to the wheels and completely smoked the 11.5 car on the street one night (a friend owned it after me) :). There are plenty of low 11, high 10 second Talons roaming the streets, but unfortunately, there are also plenty of ricers owning them with every mod money can buy running 14's with them and ruining their reputation. Well, actually, for the street race guys that actually have fast ones- that's not a bad thing :). Heck, a buddy of mine has a 92 Talon with an upgraded turbo, exhaust, stand alone, etc. on a stock motor putting a 410 hp.377 ft-lbs to the wheels on a conservative tune. He put a HURTING on my 05 GTO the other night from a 60 mph roll on :(.

I agree though- the GTP is a sharp looking car. I am trying to get the wife to look at the new 5.3 V8 GTP also, I'd like to see how they run. I think that would make a nice nitrous sleeper car :). If not, I would like the GT 3.8 supercharged so I can do some bolt ons. They really can run with the right mods!! Problem is what the wife needs for a car and what I want her to get are two different things....
Joe



I agree Kwik, That's why I said 11.9 V6 (in the GTP) is a reach. Anything is possible I guess but the GTP has got the weight of a V8 :rolleyes:

GTP 427???? I'd love to own one (just don't tell anybody) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve A said:
Remember the Grand National Buicks ??
:D God, I loved those. My aunt had one, '85 I believe. My uncle had an '84 Regal turbo. They had a nice battle once and surprisingly, the Regal T-type won. They only did it once, but my uncle got family bragging rights. Until she dug in the closet fot the '79 Hurst 442!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
One of the best bang for the buck turbo cars out there! The Talons took the "best bang for the buck" title away in the late 90's when people really started to realize their potential, but there are several single digit Turbo Buicks out there. I had an 87 GN with 21k miles on it a few years ago that I traded for an 89 Turbo Trans AM (1555 built, GN motor, etc.) with 24k miles- I kick myself every time I think about them since I got rid of the TA also :(.

That 3.8 motor is stout, as is the gen 2 3800 motor (FWD one). The supercharged car has it's limits compared to the endless possibilities with a turbo motor, but still makes incredible power with the right mods.

Like crabhart said- it is about where the money is spent, really any car is like that, but turbo/forced induction cars are more potent than NA with the money spent in the right place. Like my talon example- too many people spend money on the ricer mods- blow off valve, intercooler, etc. before ever even increasing the boost when people with less money invested in the *right* places are kicking their ass at the track!!!
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Quick 6

I still have my '99 GTP that I now let my daughter drive. It's completely stock and is fast enough to get to the grocery store and back.

Check out some of the rides and times at ClubGP or ask GTPrix Chris how fast a 6 can go - - he had one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
fullarmor2 said:
That is something, considering that situation is ideal for the GTO.
Yeah. It really made me miss my old talon- which used to pull on his car :). It did make me feel good that he got walked on the highway by another buddies worked SRT4- that was a fast son of a bitch up top!! He was joking around asking if I wanted to go from a launch next. Yeah, sure that's the talons stomping grounds!! The AWD cars holeshot like a mother.... They can be potent little cars in the right hands. I actually have one here that I was debating what to do with. After the other night, I kind of want to build another one. We'll see.
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Groucho said:
FWD rental cars=crap.

Fact.
My daily driver is an `03 Grand Prix that I "rescued" from the clutches of a Chrysler dealership. Judging from some of the paperwork I found in the glove compartment I believe this car came from a rental fleet before I bought it. Two years and 60K miles later it's still providing trouble free transportation. I traded, actually unloaded, a VW GTI for it. The VW was a German P.O.S. The day I parked that pile of junk on the dealer's lot was one of the happiest days of my life; right behind my wedding and the births of my kids! To summarize my Grand Prix:

FWD - Yes
Rental car - Probably
Crap - Absolutely not!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
Don't underestimate these!!
I believe the fastest GTP runs 9's, modded regularly run 12's, don't shrug them off..... Just look at my SRT4, it's a 4 cyl, 4 door Neon that runs 8.2's in the eighth mile (high 12's in the quarter) with just three mods!!
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top