Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I restored a 67 GTO about 10 years ago. The 400 is starting to get tired
again and I don't care for the 4spd any longer.

What I'm planning to do is put an LS3 engine + 4L65E automatic in their place
along with a little cleanup and a new paint job.
Aside from some of the other obvious minor adjustments that will have to be
made, has anyone out there done this yet that could tell me about some of the not so obvious problems that pop up?

I'll probably add a solid driveshaft, the rear is a 12 bolt 3.42:1 posi.
I know there will be some adjustment in the pinion angle.
Not planning on using headers, but open to suggestions.

Like to hear some feedback since I'm not a pro at these things.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
A fuel tank with internal pump capable of 60 psi, pressure regulator and power to it are required. Some guys have used a plastic Impala tank effectively for very little money. A stainless conversion with pump and Corvette regulator are around $1200.

All the wiring from the dash forward should be replaced with something like an American Autowire update kit to get the needed circuits and wire sizes for all the sensors and computer. It's much easier to start with that than adding wires willey-nilley all over the engine bay. There are circuits for the electric fans and relays for direct voltage to the headlights instead of thru the switch. It also comes with a new terminal block and 2 spade fuses. I have them in 2 of my cars and have installed them in 3 others. Even for just a resto, the kit is a very nice addition.

You should have enough room to retain the stock manifolds in the A body. It saves a lot of money and a competant exhaust shop can build an adaptor pipe to connect into the existing system that includes the co bung, if it isn't in the manifold.

Some LS engines have the PS pump mounted too low and you may need an adaptor kit from Speedway Motors to mount it higher for frame/steering box clearance.

An excellent source for detailed info on this conversion is www.LS1tech.com those guys have done this to many different makes/models and will have indepth, experienced advise.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Never thought about fuel pressure "Too Many Projects". Have to get used to the idea of a fuel injected car.
Where are you located?BG
Stillwater.

Minnesota...:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts