Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading alot of the mods folks here have done (what great info). Now for myself, who hasnt picked up a wrench in a long time which ones are something a novice can do vs leaving it up to the pros?

Quote from 707GTOLS2
'I'd say before the GO FAST! mods
work on your suspension and etc.
shocks, struts, springs, swaybars, bushings, STB
CAGS eliminator
160 thermostat
Short-throw shifter (GMM Ripshifter)
like EEZ said CAI (LPE)'

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Most simple mods (CAI, headers, catback systems, throttle bodies, etc.) are nothing more than direct replacement bolt ons that uses basic hands tools to put on. I've done all my mods myself. I even put my complete catback system on without a lift. As long as your mod comes with GREAT instructions you shouldn't have any problems. Some may even be intimidated at installing a supercharger. But after I read the instructions for the Maggie it is pretty simple for the do-it-yourself type of person. But the time for you to do it versus the cost of having a shop do it is the only factor you'll have to weigh. But all in all, most mods are very simple. Now when it comes to tuning the computer, that's something you really need to leave to the professionals.

·
Registered
738 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
Most simple mods (CAI, headers, catback systems, throttle bodies, etc.) are nothing more than direct replacement bolt ons that uses basic hands tools to put on. I've done all my mods myself. I even put my complete catback system on without a lift. As long as your mod comes with GREAT instructions you shouldn't have any problems. Some may even be intimidated at installing a supercharger. But after I read the instructions for the Maggie it is pretty simple for the do-it-yourself type of person. But the time for you to do it versus the cost of having a shop do it is the only factor you'll have to weigh. But all in all, most mods are very simple. Now when it comes to tuning the computer, that's something you really need to leave to the professionals.
Does the procharger void the warannty if it does which ones don't

·
Registered
584 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
:agree
Haha thanks for quoting me!!!
Like 6QTS said just as long as there's good directions or you at least get the main idea of it you can do it!!!
I thinks the P-1SC doesn't void warranty like the Maggie just don't swap the pulley
For example:
I'm helping my buddy drop in a 408 Ironblock with a Pro-Charger D-1SC into his 02 WS-6
Here's the block dropped in

next is mounting the FMIC with tubing

Just take your time if you have questions jusk ask us here at the forum there's alot of us that are willingto help

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
altho i'm mechanically inclined i hadn't worked on cars for a lot of years (like 30 :)). on the GTO i've put in my GMM shifter, SLP headers, Spec 3+ clutch, tuned my engine with HP Tuners and Innovate LC-1 wideband O2 and designed and installed my own true CAI. it's frustrating sometimes and it helps if you have another car to drive so you don't have the pressure of having to get it done but a lot can be done in your garage with the help available on the internet. good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.