Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monaro is the perfect choice for GTO! The GTO was originally a Tempest rebadged so what is wrong with a car that looks like other Pontiacs. There has been much criticism of not retro or run of the mill looks. Rubbish As we all know the Holden GTO is outstanding.
I turn 46 today yes my BD is 9/11 and have worked on cars since I was 13. Car Mechanic by trade I put my 05 GTO on lift every chance I get and check out the construction of body, suspension and Mechanical. It’s like no other car I have seen would compare to German but the open roomy style is a welcome change from cars I work on. Frankly I’m surprised of the quality and workmanship of a CO. owned by GM for so long.
I never considered a GTO, Ford lover all my life and would have new Mustang now if I hadn’t looked @ GTO. The car is nothing short of outstanding, would compare to cars costing $20,000 more easily. Pare this up with LS2 & choice of Trans. What a car.

My GTO only 1month old 2000 mi still impresses me every time I drive. Only complaints Sound System, lack of gauges and no Outside Temp or Compass even my PT Cruiser has. I wish the options Monaro has were available to U.S. These are small considerations I’m wiling to overlook considering the whole package. Since purchase I have been researching Holden and find it quite interesting that they have evolved separate from GM since they have been in bed for so long. I would suggest looking @ models Holden sells today and offer LS1 rear drive. If the quality runs through the product line I would like to see more offered in US could see a dealership even. I wonder how many are exported as left hand drive
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Glad you are a happy with your switch over! I have yet to pull the trigger and purchase a GTO. But buying the new Mustang never crossed my mind. Just too many of them all over the road for me. I am one that likes the past mustangs more than the new. Although, the GT500 looks pretty muscular.

Go enjoy your GTO today! Throw an US Flag on it and say a Prayer for our troops, as 9/11 is a day we should never forget! And it's your birthday!

So happy Birthday! :party:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Happy birthday Holden, and thank you for your input on the car. The reason I am on this forum is to learn more about this car, because I want to get into one myself. I tend to take my time researching things before I make a decision, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to resist the pull of the GTO. You made a brief comparison to German cars, could I ask you to expand on that a little bit? I've been driving German for over 10 years, but I feel the quality of their cars has not kept up with the premium prices they command. I sat in a GTO at a local dealer two days ago, and I was impressed with the apparent quality of the interior (I currently drive an Audi S4, and Audi has some of the best interiors imho). I didn't test drive because they didn't have a 6-speed manual on the lot. I passed on driving the auto. The possibility of getting into a GTO at the price they are currently offering is extremely tempting, I weaken daily. In fact, I've already started the process of getting my ducks in a row financially. I should probably tell my wife at some point, maybe when I bring the GTO home would be a good time....

I digress. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the car, specifically, how they compare to German cars, since that is where most of my experience lies. Once more, happy birthday bud!

Peace

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Furyan said:
I digress. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the car, specifically, how they compare to German cars, since that is where most of my experience lies. Once more, happy birthday bud!

Peace

Hi Furyan-

Like you, I came from a German car background...my last two rides being an E46 323i and previous to that an E30 325es. When I bought the GTO, I was in the short-stroke portion of purchasing a VW R32.

Compro- the interior of the Holden is far and away the finest fit, finish, and materials of any GM this side of a late-model Caddy...very Teutonic indeed. The ride is good for the GT that this car is...this car feels solid and right at home at felony speeds.

However-- if your last ride was an S4 I think that you may be somewhat disappointed by the Holden's hesitation to react to steering inputs. There is a dull, vague center to the steering. Once it does react, the car handles well enough, though I sometimes miss the precision of my BMW. It throttle-steers like a dream.

However, the thrust will win you over. If a 19mpg average doesn't affect you, you just may really like it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you for your insight Groucho. I admit that the S4 responds very well, especially with the suspension upgrade. 19 mpg is about what I get on the S4 (it's a chipped biturbo) so that won't be an issue for me.

I have to say, I like most everything I read about the GTO. I need to go find a dealer that has a manual on their lot so I can take it for a drive.... :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Furyan

From what I can see Holden uses some German parts and the style of construction just looks more German than any other comparison. I work on all types of car but we originally specialized in VW air cooled. Now it’s a mix VW Audi Asian & Domestic.
The frame portion has parts that are obviously for crash and the engine is break away to drop down and goes under in a head on etc. The Drive Shaft has rubber joints @each end like BMW or Mercedes. The CV Joints look like German. The ignition switch seems just as a new VW turn off and radio shuts off when you pull out key (wish it folded like VW) the key is rather large. Bosh ABS is similar design as VW the German Stereo etc. The body is as strong as anything. It drives like a larger car but I find steering and traction in cornering on the money. Day after I got my car we went to the mountains of NC and I could not out drive the car. My friend that lives there and is also a ford diehard drives those curvy mountain roads daily. He took me for a hell of a ride; I was not scared @ all the car just felt @ home never lost traction. I have 18” tires may help but if I lived there would cost me a fortion because the roads are just too tempting. The firm ride is compensated by soft seats; the 17” tires may ride better. But I love the 18” rims, the only time it bothers me is in construction areas where there is a big step in pavement. The LS2 just sounds soooooo good with windows up you can hardly hear tailpipes. Open the windows a little and it’s just a sweet roar. Outside car exhaust is quite loud. I’m so impressed with car I let everyone drive. All comments are positive from Beefy to best Sport Car I ever drove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.