Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the Monaros have a nice high zoot climate control system in their cars, while we get the cheesy (probably my only real knock on the GTO), twisty knob climate controls. I was wondering if there's a source for buying parts, and whether they'd bolt onto a GTO.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Actually, I think the three knob climate control system is the ultimate evolution of automotive design & ergonomics. I had exactly the same setup in a Volvo 850 Turbo for ten years. Simple, easy to operate day or night, and reliable. It's one of the GTO features that sold me on the car.

In contrast, some electronic systems I've seen use small hard to find buttons in a confusing arrangement. As for the systems that have "soft" buttons integrated into a Nav system touch screen, no thanks. Those are uniformly horrible. Good way to get yourself killed.

As for "dual climate controls", dude you're in a box 4 feet by 3 feet by 7 feet. How much do you think the "climate" is gonna differ from one side of the car to the other?

Nope, sometimes analog controls beat digital hands down. That's why you don't see electronic speedos and tachs. They suck. I had an 87 vette with electronic dash. That was easily the worst feature of the car IMHO. Distracting at night and nowhere near as quick to read with a glance. Notice they're history.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like the three knob setup, but I'd also like the dual cliamate system. Of course, all those cool buttons and toys do cost money. The Base price of the Monaro CV8 is $46,000+ US. That's alot of $$$ :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I hear what you guys are saying about simplicity, and I agree to a point. My wifes Armada is rediculously complicated to adjust when driving. The rest of the car exhudes quality, I'm just not enamored of a design that reminds me of my 1980 Saab. So no one knows, yeah or nay, of a source to order or price parts from the Monaro, or whether it would fit the GTO?

·
Registered
56 Posts
GNX231 said:
i love the electronic ver. in the manaro i hope i will be able to get one shipped for my gto. has anyone tried to get any of the manaro parts yet?
Apparently there is a lot of work required between temp sensors, fan actuators, servos, etc to get the system working. On ls1gto.com someone investigated it and it was going to be on on the order of $2500 or more just for the parts to make it work. I couldn't find the exact thread but here is one that references it (with no links)

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7174&highlight=climate+control

·
Registered
590 Posts
Here's another webiste a customer of mine in Oz. www.capa.com.au

Someone wrote capa's been mentioned in other threads, too.

Back in October I had a GMH employee in Oz write he'd sell some Holden badges a few of us here wanted, but then he disappeared. I think THEY got him after intercepting our emails as I never heard from him again. So, beware. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.