General Motors Corporation
ST 04C 1
TR 66-24217 PON22069
223-B N-2 BODY
EXS 2KWGR PAINT
4F 5Y
BODY BY FISCHER

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Oh, i did find out who the property owner is but haven't tried to locate him yet, i was unable to make out the vin, i took pics but have to figure how to get em from my phone to the computer(not too experienced w computers, sorry)

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
This is what i got today...the info stamped on the firewall as follows:

General Motors Corporation
ST 04C Build date 3rd week April 1
TR 66-24217 Hardtop PON22069
223-B Black Bucket Seats
PAINT N-2 Burgandy with a black vinyl top,
EXS 2KWGR 4F 5Y
Soft-ray tinted glass (all windows), Power windows, A/C, 2-spd auto transmission, Console, Rear seat speaker, Outside remote control mirror and Deluxe front seat belts

BODY BY FISCHER

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Oh, i did find out who the property owner is but haven't tried to locate him yet, i was unable to make out the vin, i took pics but have to figure how to get em from my phone to the computer(not too experienced w computers, sorry)
A very well optioned car, good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Total options were maybe a couple hundred bucks, the car sold for around $3,000 to $3,500 +/- in 66. Many of the GTO's were ordered without any options.
Sorry i'm askin so many questions but this is all new to me. I'm hoping to be like so many of ya'll one day soon...A PROUD OWNER OF A GTO!
By the way, how does a '66 compare to the other years as far as popularity with collectors? Is a '66 fairly easy to come by, rare or some where in between ? And how hard/expensive is it to get parts for it if i need them for the restoration?ANY info ya'll can share with me would help me alot

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well, if you have the time and effort to work on it yourself it shouldn't be too bad, compared to what it will be worth when ur done. If you take my '66 for example I bought it in 2001 for $2k. It looked like this:

It was essentially a carport find you could call it.
about $20k and six years later It is basically done. I understand that alot of parts have gone up significantly in that time, and maybe somebody could help you out on current pricing but that is what was spent on mine over the past six years, doing a frame off restoration liesurly. Some things we needed and had to buy were:
seats, console, steering column, and full interior kit (the car was gutted when we got it)
front and rear bumpers
tons of trim pieces
new doors
both grills
chemical dipping the body, and body panels
rebuilding the siezed tri-power
all new bushings, bearings, etc...
2 wiring harnesses
and a ton of other stuff, but I would assume you wouldn't NEED to do most of that stuff. The only things that my dad and i did not do on the car was paint/body/fitment and we had a machine shop get the pistons out of the cylinders, then bore it out, hottank it and assemble the shortblock.

In the end it really depends on how bad of shape the car is in. I would say it doesn't seem to bad from your brief description, and i would say its quite a bit better than what i had in the beginning. The money also will depend on what you are going for with the car. I don't know if any of that helps at all since mine is a very different situation, but i figured alot of these guys are in bed, and you might still be up.

~Tyler

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, if you have the time and effort to work on it yourself it shouldn't be too bad, compared to what it will be worth when ur done. If you take my '66 for example I bought it in 2001 for $2k. It looked like this:

It was essentially a carport find you could call it.
about $20k and six years later It is basically done. I understand that alot of parts have gone up significantly in that time, and maybe somebody could help you out on current pricing but that is what was spent on mine over the past six years, doing a frame off restoration liesurly. Some things we needed and had to buy were:
seats, console, steering column, and full interior kit (the car was gutted when we got it)
front and rear bumpers
tons of trim pieces
new doors
both grills
chemical dipping the body, and body panels
rebuilding the siezed tri-power
all new bushings, bearings, etc...
2 wiring harnesses
and a ton of other stuff, but I would assume you wouldn't NEED to do most of that stuff. The only things that my dad and i did not do on the car was paint/body/fitment and we had a machine shop get the pistons out of the cylinders, then bore it out, hottank it and assemble the shortblock.

In the end it really depends on how bad of shape the car is in. I would say it doesn't seem to bad from your brief description, and i would say its quite a bit better than what i had in the beginning. The money also will depend on what you are going for with the car. I don't know if any of that helps at all since mine is a very different situation, but i figured alot of these guys are in bed, and you might still be up.

~Tyler
WOW! From the looks of that after pic, you did an awesome job on that car...the one i'm looking at is a little better than where you started, it basically is all still in one piece other than the belts,hoses,radio being missing.You did a lot with 20k, gives me hope if i get mine!Thanks for sharing that with me...do you know much of the '66? Is it a good model? I'm totally a novice on GTO's...what is yours worth now?

·
Registered
465 Posts
WOW! From the looks of that after pic, you did an awesome job on that car...the one i'm looking at is a little better than where you started, it basically is all still in one piece other than the belts,hoses,radio being missing.You did a lot with 20k, gives me hope if i get mine!Thanks for sharing that with me...do you know much of the '66? Is it a good model? I'm totally a novice on GTO's...what is yours worth now?
I love my 66 it was the last year that the GTO or any GM car (other than the vette) was available with multiple carbs, and i love my tri-power. Alot of people perfer the '67 and '66 models the main differences between the two are some emblems, grills, and tail lights but they look very alike. The earlier goats look a little more bland to me, and alot of people like the 68+ ones, its really your taste, but they all seem to have very solid followings. I have had mine appraised for insurance at $40k, and it is fairily heavily optioned like your car. I have three carbs, AC, 2spd, power steering, and the AM/FM pushbutton as the valuable options.
A good website to check out is: Pontiac GTO - The Ultimate Pontiac GTO Picture Site
click on '66 in their banner, and just start surfing. There are TONS of pictures on that site.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Sorry i'm askin so many questions but this is all new to me. I'm hoping to be like so many of ya'll one day soon...A PROUD OWNER OF A GTO!
By the way, how does a '66 compare to the other years as far as popularity with collectors? Is a '66 fairly easy to come by, rare or some where in between ? And how hard/expensive is it to get parts for it if i need them for the restoration?ANY info ya'll can share with me would help me alot
Most everything is available for the `66. Unlike the `64-`65s. Check with yearone, opg, The paddock, Ames, The parts Place inc., and e-bay for anything you should need. GLHV.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
1966 is a very good model to restore!! Good luck with the project...DON'T skimp on the body/paint. do that right and do it once. Mechanical stuff is always fixable, upgradable, replacable.....my .02 cents :cheers Eric

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all of you for your help, i'll let ya'll know if i get it or not. By the way, i sent the pics to my e-mail..now how do i get them to post on this site? Again, i'm not too swift with computers so i need someone to hold my hand doing this!

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
...from the e-mail you sent yourself, save the pics to a known location, make a folder on the desktop and save them there or whatever, then while making a post in this forums, use the "Manage Attachments" button in the 'additional options' and navigate to the folder you save the pics in, and then attach them to your post. If that doesn`t work, you can sign up for a free pic hosting site at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and then upload, then use hyperlinks to the pics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...from the e-mail you sent yourself, save the pics to a known location, make a folder on the desktop and save them there or whatever, then while making a post in this forums, use the "Manage Attachments" button in the 'additional options' and navigate to the folder you save the pics in, and then attach them to your post. If that doesn`t work, you can sign up for a free pic hosting site at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and then upload, then use hyperlinks to the pics.
OK, I'll try that in just a minute...i'll post 'em if it works

1 - 20 of 59 Posts