Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm sitting here feeling lonesome and nostalgic - long story. It was the end of 2005 when I was building my 505 (IA-II block). A guy in Maine (Mark Strelka) was trying out CNC machined aluminum valve covers. I liked the idea, so he engraved my name in the same font that's on the side of the racecar. He was ready to ship them when he asked me if he could keep them about 3 weeks. I asked why, and he said he wanted to display them at Norwalk and he would be using Arnie Beswick. I paused and said "if you do, I have one demand!" I could hear the anxious pause on his end. I said I wanted a picture of Arnie holding them.This was in August of 2005. I'm not in any of the pictures as I was not there.

Norwalk 2005 - Arnie 2 small.jpg
Norwalk 2005 - Arnie Valve Cover small.jpg
Norwalk 2005 - Tameless Tiger valve cover small.jpg

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As is typical for me, this turned into a multistage process as well. When I got the valve covers, I had my painter friend paint my name the same color as the car.

Valve Covers Painted 005 crop small.jpg
Tempest Show 10 07 front 1 small.jpg

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I decide that I would like Arnie's autograph on the valve covers. Yeah, I couldn't do it when they were in his possession! So I send them back to him, and I included a donation into his car fund from the fire he had two years before. Here's final pictures of the valve cover (before holes and stuff put in later), and an autographed pamphlet that Arnie sent to me.

Valve Covers Autographed 003 color crop small.jpg
Water-Pan Evac 1 small.jpg
Arnie Beswick Autograph small.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 428 pontiac engine i want build its survivor still runs like it did from factory.What are your formula for the engine ?

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There isn't one formula. The one that's right is the one you define. For me it was to have a street racer. I would not want to drive it hundreds of miles. The most I typically go is 100 miles one way, and I don't do that often.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, the 428 is my favorite street engine. I could have made any displacement I wanted on my last build, and I stuck with a 428. I have not built a 455, but I have built 389, 400, 428, 482 and 505 engines.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some questions up front:
What result do you want?​
How much money can you afford to spend?​
What parts do you have that can be used safely?​
Do you have a deadline?​

1 - 8 of 8 Posts