Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota recalled 2004-2006 Tundra's and 2004-2007 Sequoia's for a steering component that will fail and cause the steering to be hard or impossible to control.

This news comes after Toyota recalled at least one vehicle of every model it produced in 2006. Toyota recalled over 800,000 vehicles in 2006, which was down from its 2005 total of 2,300,000 vehicles.

Some of the other Toyota recalls are the Scion TC for faulty airbag sensors. It also appears that the NHTSA will require Toyota to recall Tundras for suspension failure issues, this will involve about 400,000 vehicles and Sienna's for the rear hatch failing to stay open, falling and causing injuries. The 2001 and 2002 Echo has been recalled for a faulty crankshaft connector. This recall is a worldwide one that affects over 400,000 vehicles. The Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX330 from 2003 and 2004 have been recalled for a trim piece that comes loose and either stops the gas pedal from moving or locks it in a depressed position. This affects 370,000 vehicles. The Toyota FJ Cruiser was recalled, it affected 7-9000 vehicles. All 2003 through 2005 Prius' were recalled for a steering assembly that could crack and fail.

On another note, GM recalls were down 73% while Ford was down 71%. The recall leader was Honda. Honda recalled 1,397 vehicles. :eek: I wish GM could match Honda in that regard.

All manufacturers saw declines for 2006 except for the superior German quality of VW, the Japanese quality at Nissan and the recall leader for 2006 Chrysler. GM was most improved with Ford a close second.

The worst was Chrysler with 2.3 million cars and trucks, including my Dakota.

Nuff said.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, what a feeling.....................

They ain't been jumpin up and down lately.

I don't ever recall so many Toyota's being recalled when they were all produced in Jap-an.

·
Registered
22 Posts
TOYOTAS--they still are produced in Japan, only the pieces are put into the package here, so the recall is mostly for bad parts, not poor assembly...hay at least toyota does a recall instead of hide them like some Japan car companies....but I sure wich pontiac could keep my GTO running w/o needing to carry jumpers everywhere in the winter.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
TOYOTAS--they still are produced in Japan, only the pieces are put into the package here, so the recall is mostly for bad parts, not poor assembly...hay at least toyota does a recall instead of hide them like some Japan car companies....but I sure wich pontiac could keep my GTO running w/o needing to carry jumpers everywhere in the winter.:rolleyes:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, so it's bad parts, NOT poor assy. I have been saying this for sometime. Parts are MOST always the problem, not the assy. worker. Glad someone else sees it this way.

Many Toyota's are built in the states these days. I.E. Tundra Plant in Texas.

BEFORE Toyota's were built in the states here, rarely did you ever read or hear of massive recalls. Just an observation.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have two friends that work/worked in the Nummi (Toyota) plant here in Fremont California. After hearing some of the stories of the type of people that work there, I'm not surprised to hear about Toyota recalls. The bad thing is, there is one Pontiac model (Vibe I think) that is/was assembled there under a joint aggreement with GM and Toyota. I guess the Vibe is a domestic car and the Toyota's coming out of the same plant are imports.:willy:

·
Registered
34 Posts
The problem with Toyota is they cannot keep up with their demand, and in order to do so, they have to rush through the process of making these vehicles. They do not have the resources to make sure everything is right, and they are just trying to get these vehicles pushed through the assembly lines as quickly as possible. Many do not realize over the past 10 years, many Japanese cars have been dropping off in quality, and they are still able to ride on their reputations of the past, yet no one seems to notice the problems or they just shrug it off as nothing major because people are still programmed to think everything coming from Japan is top-notch quality. Recently, GM and Ford's quality has went through the roof, not to mention fuel economy. Toyota has good fuel economy on their cars, but nothing GM or Ford isn't doing as well, if not even better, but with the bad rap GM and Ford are getting now, Toyota just keeps quiet and they seem infallible. Finally, look at Toyota's cars. They are all so boring. They provide no excitement with their cars. They just make a cushy front wheel drive family hauler to satisfy the masses. I want excitement in my life!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm waiting for the Yugo II. :lol:

I remember the LeCar. Renault also made a car called the Fuego, anyone remember that one? Little turbocharged 4-banger that would run like a scalded dog. Maybe this one was hopped up, I don't know, but one of them handed my buddy his @ss one night in his '69 Chevelle SS396, and his Chevelle was a pretty fast car.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm waiting for the Yugo II. :lol:

I remember the LeCar. Renault also made a car called the Fuego, anyone remember that one? Little turbocharged 4-banger that would run like a scalded dog. Maybe this one was hopped up, I don't know, but one of them handed my buddy his @ss one night in his '69 Chevelle SS396, and his Chevelle was a pretty fast car.
The Fuego was a pretty quick car. Would have been into the high 15's which was fast at that time. If he was keeping up with or beating an SS396 he had work done.

The Fuego was like a hand grenade with the pin pulled. You know it's going to blow up pretty soon, but you just don't know when.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Fuego was a pretty quick car. Would have been into the high 15's which was fast at that time. If he was keeping up with or beating an SS396 he had work done.

The Fuego was like a hand grenade with the pin pulled. You know it's going to blow up pretty soon, but you just don't know when.
That's the sum of my experience with Fuegos. We were cruising back and forth between Gratiot and Woodward one weekend when this guy comes up and challenges my buddy. We went over to Northwood which was pretty empty and ran this guy three times. He won the first two, once from a dead stop, second time from a 20 roll. The last time we went from a 30 roll if I remember correctly. It was real close and we just barely edged him out the last time. Hurt my buddy's feelings real bad. We never did stop and talk to him, but I figure he had to have some mods on his car, it was quick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts