Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read the December(I know, I'm late on my reading material)Issue competing the Charger SRT8 against the 05GTO.
Talk about biased reporting. On THEIR rating system the Goat beat the Charger on:
1)0-30
2)0-60
3)0-100
40 1/4 mile time
But...M.T. gave the Charger the checkered flag due to "seat-of-your-pants factor" Give me a freakin break!! They also said the Charger won because it has an optional DVD player. (they did briefly mention the Charger costs 10k more than the GTO.)
I would have a rag called MOTOR trend would judge a car soley on it's performance value. I was wrong. :shutme

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ok I dont know about you, but I looked at the SRT-8 Charger before I bought my goat. They wanted $37,000 for a loaded R/T and ALMOST $50,000 GALD DARN DOLLARS for the SLOWER 4-Door SRT-8. I literally purchased my hot lil
'04 GTO for LITERALLY HALF the cost of a new SRT-8. Oh and guess what, I pulled away from one on the street.

·
Registered
585 Posts
:agree Right on P.J. If a person is looking for objective coverage and unbiased coverage. Forget it. Like news media, pick the one you agree with. Fox for conservative, Headline News for liberal, CNBC for well, you get the idea. I guess that is the way it is. Sooo, why did the federal government help Chrysler when it got in financial trouble and has not lifted a finger for GM? HUMMMM!:confused

·
Registered
850 Posts
That does suck! I read the same article and all it reminded of was the same article with the GTO and Mustang with their "Got to Have It" factor!!! When is the media going to realize the beauty of this car?!?!?:mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
We looked at the Charger before we bought the GTO too. IMHO it's too much fluff and not enough power. Plus, it cost just so much more. What really killed it for us was no manual trans. Hands down the Goat was "the" car for us.:cool

All muscle car and no dvd player! I didn't buy a hot rod to watch movies in!:rofl:

:D Jen

·
Registered
439 Posts
I stopped taking C&D seriously after their 04 GTO/ 05 mustang GT comparo. They arn't even in the same CLASS, in any way. They loved the looks of the mustang, understandable, but you might as well say a 3000GT is better than a GTO because it "looks better".

Motor trend is just as biased, i knew they would give it to the SRT-8, at least they're in the same basic class, but there really isn't much of a comparason.

I got a kick out of their Viper/C6Z06/Ford GT comparo though. They gave it to the Z06, i mean, you have to, but you could tell they really didn't want to.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
My Dad gave me a crap load of car magazines yesterday -- and that issue was in there. They say the Charger feels more sophisticated -- while the GTO feels old and out of date.

Look, I'm not arrogant enough to say that I'm an expert -- but, geez Louise, what are these guys talking about? Yes, the on-center steering feel could be a little bit better. Yes, the initial feel of the brakes could be a little better, too (at least on the 04s). But to choose one car that got its ass kicked in on every performance measure over the clear winner is nuts.

I don't know who handled media relations for the GTO -- but they should be fired. This car got screwed by C/D in its comparison to the Mustang -- and screwed by MT in its comparison to the Charger.

Look at it this way, nobody other than Dan Gurney says that the GTO is an awesome car. Do you seriously think that any car magazine knucklehead is going to offer a better opinion than him?

Anyway, I get AutoWeek and Automotive News. All these other rags I just glance at and fling in the recycling bin.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The one good article I've seen that gives the GTO its due was in Motor Trend. It was called "Two For One" and compared the GTO ('05 i believe) to the Mercedes CLK 55 AMG. The article made the comparisson between the two under the premise that the GTO was 90% of the car for 1/2 the price. Pretty good article comparing the GTO to the kind of car it should be marketed to compete with.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stephen Hopkins said:
The one good article I've seen that gives the GTO its due was in Motor Trend. It was called "Two For One" and compared the GTO ('05 i believe) to the Mercedes CLK 55 AMG. The article made the comparisson between the two under the premise that the GTO was 90% of the car for 1/2 the price. Pretty good article comparing the GTO to the kind of car it should be marketed to compete with.
I did read that, and you are right. It was a good (nonbiased) article.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I've been a subscriber to Car & Driver since 1978. That magazine has been the automotive bible to me. After I read the article where the GTO lost to the Mustang due to the "Gotta have it factor" I decided that they were biased. They have chosen to select winners in performance and driveability contests by using subjective data such as looks and public opinion. My subscription will not be renewed, and when they call to ask why, my answer will be short and sweet. There are other magazines with better gotta have it ratings.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've read so many biased articles (not necessarily against the GTO, but just in general) over the years from both car magazines and websites, that I rarely read them any more except for just general reading, like for instance at work (since most car websites are work safe).

I've seen multiple times where, in the individual sections, car A will get better scores in the majority of categories, but in the end car B is declared the 'winner'.

Most of the time I've seen this happen, it has been when comparing a Japanese and American vehicle. Now I feel whatever car is really better should get the win, regardless of the country where the corporate headquarters are. However, when there are silly things happening, it drops my opinion of the site/magazine quite a bit. For example, my husband found an article for a Swedish company (newspaper, I think) that gave the Honda Ridgeline the "best full sized pickup" reward. Whereas everyone I know who wants a full sized truck for towing and whatnot will avoid the Ridgeline like it was a minitruck.

More on the topic of GTO reviews, I remember seeing a review a couple months ago (sorry, can't remember which mag, and I don't have a real good memory of the details) where an STi and GTO were compared, and the STi was given the win, with one of the biggest deciding factors being the STi's superior interior. Everywhere else I've seen semi-literate comparisons or reviews, even from STi fans, the GTO always takes the cake on the interior and many STi fans say the interior could be better. *strange*

/me steps off soapbox.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stephen Hopkins said:
Here is the link:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0405_sport_coupe_comparison/

·
Registered
104 Posts
I took a Magnum for a ride before I bought the goat, can you say "squeel like a piggie!!!

The magnum was heavy, unresponsive, and felt like driving a tank!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
i went and looked at the charger before i got the GTO, walked in said let me see that one with a manual transmission... dude said no manuals, they don't make them..... i waved as i walked out and went next door to the Ponitac dealership.... the rest is history

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.