Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody check out the virtual comparison between the camaro concept and the mustang. Its got the 08 camaro doing a quater mile in 11.5 @ 130. I'm thinking not unless they are going to use something more potent than the ls2.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I read the article also. Thats is crazy, Virtual times. Ha!!!. Fords are Virtually fast. They won't make the Camaro any faster than the GTO, unless they make the non-Z06 Vette faster.

·
Registered
556 Posts
C5ORGTO said:
I read the article also. Thats is crazy, Virtual times. Ha!!!. Fords are Virtually fast. They won't make the Camaro any faster than the GTO, unless they make the non-Z06 Vette faster.
:agree

·
Registered
558 Posts
I read the article. If you paid attention to all the preliminary parts in which the author explained the complex computer program (at the University of Michigan, I believe), there are tons of variables the engineers have to enter to make this work. The MT author admitted to not having every last bit of data necessary, so they had to guess on some things.

One key item they didn't have was the Mustang's drag coefficient, which they said Ford won't release. It must be gosh-awful, as B-A-Better Person has long suggested. And because they didn't have the Mustang's aero number, all of the acceleration figures reflect what would happen in the airless environment of cyberspace. So whereas the 0-60 times might be close to real-world figures, the number for the quarter-mile aren't going to be true-to-life.

·
Registered
439 Posts
yeah i'd imagine the stang's drag coefficient is horrible, with that retro-throwback parachute grille. There's a reason companies stopped using that, and it wasn't because they went out of style.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I've heard that the C6's life will be about half of what the C5 was and the C7 will make a major step forward from the C6.

I've heard the LS2 and LS7 are dead. They have replacements for them maybe as early as next year. Definately by 2008 the base C6 will have a 450hp LS3 and the LS7 will be 550-600. The Blue Devil (Corvette SS) will have 650hp plus and will still avoid the gas guzzler tax. The Z06 is going to get the 6spd auto that's in my C6. That tranny is capable of handling 850 hp. I just read in the Corvette Quarterly where the 6A was raced against the 6M on a road course and an Autocross. It won the autocross fairly easily and lost on the road course by less than a half second.

GM has some really neat things coming up if they make it through the next 2 years.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Wow did I go off subject. LOL.
I'd guess the new Camaro with a LS3 at say 425hp and 3600lbs would run a mid to high 12's. Maybe a ZL1 with 525 would be low 12's to real high 11's.

·
Registered
558 Posts
fergyflyer said:
I'd guess the new Camaro with a LS3 at say 425hp and 3600lbs would run a mid to high 12's. Maybe a ZL1 with 525 would be low 12's to real high 11's.
These are good days to be a horsepower junkie.

Now if we could only convince everyone else to switch to hybrids, thereby leaving loads of cheap gas for we faithful few, life would be pretty near perfect!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
GM Kid said:
These are good days to be a horsepower junkie.

Now if we could only convince everyone else to switch to hybrids, thereby leaving loads of cheap gas for we faithful few, life would be pretty near perfect!

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts