Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into getting a GTO but MPG is going to play a role. I know it's a V8 and a huge engine, but what are you guys averaging? How many miles do you have until you have to fill up etc?

I had an Mazda RX-8 and I would have to fill up at around 230miles and that's driving like a grandma (shifting at 3.5k every shift in a 9.5k redline car) and I was getting around 16.5-17MPG and it didn't even put out that much power in comparison to a GTO or 350Z etc.

Let me know your average MPG, how many miles you've driven when you fill up and your driving style, are you constantly flooring it and still getting better gas mileage than my 8? Are you driving conservative? etc etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I get around 17.4 city and that punching it here and there, on average about 300mile till empty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My mileage depends on two factors: City/Highway and Responsible Adult/Adolescent.

When I'm driving like a responsible adult, my city/highway numbers are in the neighborhood of 17-18/25-28.

When I'm driving like an adolescent, I don't keep track because I'm afraid of what I'll see...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, for not using search function lol.

But yeah, my 8 was pathetic for MPG/power. It would get 16.5-17mpg fill up around 230-240miles and that was driving like a grandma. The gearing on the 8 was horrible for highway, in 6th gear, crusing at 75mpg was around 4-4.3k and the second set of fuel gates opened up at 3750rpm. The 8's tank is only 13-14gallons though, so might be a reason why I would have to gas up basically every week.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It said on the window sticker 16 city and 24 highway, I wonder how they determine the driving style though? I mean if your on the highway with a lead foot Im sure it wouldnt be 24 :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The type of driving I would do is going to mostly be 70/30 city/highway. Driving and shifting at low RPM's but every now getting on it for some fun. From what I've read, most people are getting around 15-16mpg in city and around 20-23 in highway. With my type of driving, do you think I'd be able to reach better gas mileage than my 8?

I will accept 17-18mpg in the GTO over 17-18mpg in my 8 because the GTO is 350-400hp compared to an 8 which is 238 (180 to the wheels!) and it's getting the same mileage as the GTO?!?

·
Registered
123 Posts
djray77 said:
It said on the window sticker 16 city and 24 highway, I wonder how they determine the driving style though? I mean if your on the highway with a lead foot Im sure it wouldnt be 24 :)
Driving back from California a couple weeks ago, I was getting 23 mpg going 85-90mph the whole way. That's pretty decent AND it was fun!
But really, this is a car you would enjoy even if the gas mileage sucked. The roar of the engine makes me forget the price at the pump. :seeya:

·
Registered
491 Posts
HardHitter said:
I was looking into getting a GTO but MPG is going to play a role. I know it's a V8 and a huge engine, but what are you guys averaging? How many miles do you have until you have to fill up etc?

I had an Mazda RX-8 and I would have to fill up at around 230miles and that's driving like a grandma (shifting at 3.5k every shift in a 9.5k redline car) and I was getting around 16.5-17MPG and it didn't even put out that much power in comparison to a GTO or 350Z etc.

Let me know your average MPG, how many miles you've driven when you fill up and your driving style, are you constantly flooring it and still getting better gas mileage than my 8? Are you driving conservative? etc etc.

My car isn't broke-in yet, but I'm getting about 21mpg [70% hwy]

G

·
when I was done racing the mountain pass lastnight .. I looked at the MPG meter and it said 11.2 ... LMFAO... prolly gets far better then that but as far as Drifting goes ... um ya.... hmm I think my meter is wacky .... :willy: :party:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.