Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
I haven't heard of any--most the mods people put on their cars, if anything, may slightly lower their mpg (since the mods add performance). I've seen a "mod" or two on eBay that was supposed to increase fuel economy, but they were scams, and I really don't remember what they were since they weren't of interest to me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mod's like air intakes and exhaust open up the engine to breath better and should increase mpg, but people usually drive the car harder to hear and feel the new mods so it negates the increase in gas mileage.
I would think that if you installed an open air filter intake, a less restrictive exhaust, and drove the car normally that you would see some gain in mpg.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a behavioral mod- -

Pay attention to what's going on well ahead of you, and eliminate or cut way back on braking.

I've gotten in the habit of kicking the car out of gear and coasting to stop lights; reduced engine rpms = less gas used. I also live near some mountains, so again, going down the mountain, I take it out of gear.

I'm averaging 22-23 per tankful, and that's with some sprited onramp driving, and never of course backing down from an opportunity with another car if they start to test me. I only race up to about speed limit + 20mph tho- - -

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Just recently I did some highway driving and logged my mpg.... I was astounded to find I got 27.10 MPH at 60 mph. The onboard computer was accurate as I double checked that with the good old fashioned way of calculating it.

As I did rural, and town driving the average did drop. Around town I am still getting about 18 mpg.

I have no complaints about the performance of the LS2.

NO MODS

One of these days I am spring for the K&N filter kit.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I used to worry some about mileage, but not much anymore. I found it's best to change behavior as stated above. I do the 1-3-5-6 or 2-4-6 shifting instead of going through all the gears, plus I change gears at > 3000 RPM. I got better mileage doing that than dogging it. I get the best mileage at 45 in 6th (35) and it goes down from there up to about 65, from then on its 23 up to about 80 or so. I've got the LPE CAI, noticed more power, nothing in mileage. Removed mufflers, noticed better sound, no more power or mileage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got 24.5 mpg on a 270 mile trip,,it was about 85% highway driving, and 15% in city,,all with the ac on,, doing about 75ish...I didnt think it was that bad? I only have 1500 miles on it at the start of the trip...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Kanding said:
Really good mileage. I get about 13mpg, but I drive about 5 miles to work, 25-35 mph speed limit with a half-dozen stops.
The mileage you get seems about right for that type of driving. The computer sets the car up extremely rich for the first 10-20 minutes you drive it. Also your oil is thicker and causes more internal drag. Once warmed up, if you stay out of it you can get decent mileage. I got 17 around town with mine and 23-24 on the highway at 75-80 mph.

The C6 has been getting a combined city highway of 24-25. Around town it's up to 19-20 mpg and out on the highway its incredible, at 75 I'm getting 30 at 80 28.5-29. I made a trip from south Florida to here where I drove between 65 and 70 and didn't have the AC on, I got 32.5 mpg. GM is the best when it comes to fuel efficiency.

The behavior mod is the best to increase mileage.

·
Registered
69 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Yes, not much of an option for me, though. I wish that I lived further away from work so I could enjoy the drive more and get it up to speed. I'll have to take it on the freeway every once in a while anyway, so I'll reset the mileage indicator then and see what I can get.

BTW, I really like the C6, I bet you're enjoying it. If it were more practical for me I seriously would have considered a used one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I also do the coast 2,4,6 thing around town combined with as much advanced planning as possible to avoid traffic. I still only get around 14.5 in town. At 80+ or > 2200rpm in 6th I usually get around 25-26. Combined over the las 75 gallons consumed I've averaged about 16.5. I have an 04 M6 with about 25K miles.

·
Registered
746 Posts
fergyflyer said:
The mileage you get seems about right for that type of driving. The computer sets the car up extremely rich for the first 10-20 minutes you drive it. Also your oil is thicker and causes more internal drag. Once warmed up, if you stay out of it you can get decent mileage. I got 17 around town with mine and 23-24 on the highway at 75-80 mph.

The C6 has been getting a combined city highway of 24-25. Around town it's up to 19-20 mpg and out on the highway its incredible, at 75 I'm getting 30 at 80 28.5-29. I made a trip from south Florida to here where I drove between 65 and 70 and didn't have the AC on, I got 32.5 mpg. GM is the best when it comes to fuel efficiency.

I take it you're loving your new C6. Lucky [email protected]:D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just to add my mileage:
I have not quite 1600 miles on the car, and normally do semi-conservative driving that is mostly city miles. I usually get low-mid 16s, and as I mentioned that's almost completely city driving. Also, most of my driving is going to/from work or on errands to nearby places, so most of my drives are less than 30 minutes (getting to work takes usually 15-20 minutes, for example) so I'm not getting the engine warmed up enough, though the heat may help.

My AC is on almost constantly. I've only had brief highway runs so far (ie, 20 minutes away) that have definately caused the MPG-calculator to increase the average mileage, so I'm confident I'd get what I'd consider reasonably good milage on a full highway trip.

I don't take the RPMs high too often, coast as much as I can, and usually skip gears (hadn't thought about whether that would affect mileage or not, but it's something I do anyway).

·
Registered
479 Posts
The best milage I got was on a trip to palm springs and for the last 1/2 hour to 45 minutes I was getting 28 miles/gallon on my a4. I loved it. I just came from an 01 s10 and there was no way in hell that it would have gotten that many miles/gallon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.