Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
At $80 a pop x 8 = $640 for coils! That's alot if you ask me for an "unkown". I bought the MSD wires and they at least killed alot of noise on the AM band while listening to Rush!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ftlfirefighter said:
At $80 a pop x 8 = $640 for coils! That's alot if you ask me for an "unkown". I bought the MSD wires and they at least killed alot of noise on the AM band while listening to Rush!
I found them for 57.00 ea., however i haven't bought them yet. Waiting to hear from a few people first

·
Registered
358 Posts
We had a dyno day back on the 3rd and a guy there had the MSD coils, he made one pull with the MSD's and one pull with the stockers, no change in hp or tq. Might as well flush $600 down the toilet.
:cheers

·
Registered
271 Posts
We had a dyno day back on the 3rd and a guy there had the MSD coils, he made one pull with the MSD's and one pull with the stockers, no change in hp or tq. Might as well flush $600 down the toilet.
Thank you very much. That's what I wanted to here. I didnt think they would do anything!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Buddy of mine has it on his 04 GTO. The idle is better as well as throttle response. This car makes over 430rwhp also.

They might not gain numbers on a dyno but real gains in the way the car responds is much better.

B

·
0 Posts
look at it this way, when lingenfelter made 800rwhp on a twin turbo LS1, he used the stock coil packs.

WASTE OF MONEY!

·
Registered
70 Posts
big_mike said:
look at it this way, when lingenfelter made 800rwhp on a twin turbo LS1, he used the stock coil packs.

WASTE OF MONEY!
I guess that's why GM upgraded the stock coils that come with the LS2...because it was a waste of money :rolleyes:

There is a definite difference with the MSD coils on the car and stock coils. That is a FACT. Real world experience, not internet crap.

The stock LS1 coils are very good but there are better coils out there.

B

·
0 Posts
yes, there are, but the average joe with a few bolt-ons does NOT need them!

thats the point I am trying to make.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Anyone have any experience, pro's and cons on these pieces for the LS2?
What did you pay for them and from who?
Open for suggestions on a good set of A/M wires too.
Engine up grades and getting HP increases are not cheap. The MSD coil packs along with good wires will deliver a higher voltage spark with less hms
restriction then a stock unit. Less restriction & higher Volts = more HP. MSD claims about 5 HP with their coils.

Just don't think they are worth it.
I would use that money elsewhere

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Engine up grades and getting HP increases are not cheap. The MSD coil packs along with good wires will deliver a higher voltage spark with less Ohms
[ restriction ] then a stock unit. Less restriction & higher Volts = more HP. MSD claims about 5 HP with their coils
Not worth the money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts