Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a difference! It's like uncorking a monster. Minor popping, but it's tolerable. A lot cheaper than a cat-back, but prolly zero performance gain. Anyway, makes it tough to drive without the SEG!:D

·
Registered
259 Posts
OK... I decided to drop my (2) 20lb mufflers to see what the sound would be like. All I thought was my neighbors would kill me if my car was always that loud... Holy [email protected]

Reasons I would not do this:

1.) Just too loud. It sounds good for a minute but then it gets old fast.
2.) There is a definate drone sound.
3.) Poppong everytime I shift would drive me nuts.

I think I will invest in a nice catback system if anything.

My mufflers are back on now ( all 40lbs. of them) until I decide what I want to do.

For those of you with muffler delete... more power to you :cheers

·
Registered
584 Posts
I did The muffler drop too, the only thing that gets me is the popping on dcell
other than that I love it, nice and loud cruising in 2nd doing about 30 and shes loud as hell!
probobly gunna get louder when I get my longtubes and cam later

·
Registered
154 Posts
fat nick said:
Droning is always associated with mufflers.
Er, that's not true. I had a Loudmouth on my Firehawk and there was a drone at 1800-2000 rpm. The Loudmouth has no mufflers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good 2 go said:
What'cha get? I've been eying the Corsa Sport. I'll be getting Long Tubes latter this year, and depending on how that sounds without the mufflers, I may or may not get'em.

i have heard some gto's with headers with corsa.....thatr was sick. I got magnaflow and i am very plessed with the sound. do u have any comments about a short shifter?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was going to remove my mufflers, but I don't think I want the car all that loud. I had the resonator removed when I first got the car.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pumpkinking81682 said:
i have heard some gto's with headers with corsa.....thatr was sick. I got magnaflow and i am very plessed with the sound. do u have any comments about a short shifter?
Maybe one day I might get a shifter. Not a priority at the moment though. I've read about lots of problems with the B&M Ripper. I'll probably go with the GMM.

·
Registered
259 Posts
LIVEVIL said:
I was going to remove my mufflers, but I don't think I want the car all that loud. I had the resonator removed when I first got the car.

Was there a sound difference with the resonator removed??

Did you put on a "X" pipe??

Please elaborate.

·
Registered
439 Posts
V8INTERCEPTOR said:
does dropping the mufflers make it sound like a muscle car should or is it just loud?
define "like a muscle car" please?

The way LSX engines are designed, it'll never sound like a 454 chevelle, no matter what you do to it. well, short of a cam.

If you take the mufflers off, it won't sound that great, very raspy.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I haven't had much of a problem with the popping sound on decel. I found if I just barely touch the gas pedal, the popping smooths right out. Personally, I think it brings out the "mean" in the exhaust.. That said, I haven't heard a GTO with a good non-stock exhaust in person. The only drone I have is the rear end whine... is that a warranty issue?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.