Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad are these gears? I never noticed any issues while driving, but figured while it is apart I might replace them. The only thing holding me back is removing the drive gear. I did some searching and it seems that some tooth wear is common because they are not syncroed. Is this wear normal? This is my first tear down of a Muncie so I don't have anything to compare it to. My plan when I started was to just replace the gear selector seals. But of course as with anything 40+ years it has escalated :)
2016-02-10 15.44.03.jpg

2016-02-10 15.43.52.jpg

Thank,

John

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I'm no expert and have never rebuilt a transmission, but I would definitely NOT use any gear that looked like that. Let the weak tooth that is cracked which you can't see with your eye break, and you may be buying another trans because it grenaded when the tooth lodged into the forward gears and locked it up at speed. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,

That is what I am thinking, the $100 bucks for the gears it is worth it. I am just worried about how hard removing the speedo drive gear is going to be.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Buy the new gear and have a trans rebuild shop or machine shop remove & install it. Probably needs a special tool/puller/press, so rather than invest in a one time use, pay to have it done, much less grief in my opinion.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
When you go to press it back toghether, heat the gears in a 200 degree oven for about 20 minutes, and put the shaft in the freezer. A lot easier that way. And the gears have to be pressed exactly in place, where they were before. Use heavy wheel bearing grease to hold all the little needle bearings in place on re-assembly, as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts