Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way home from work. I had 4 tires I just got from the Tire Rack for my 02 Z28, so I wasn't light.

I ended up beside a 99-04 Mustang GT with an exhaust. This guy had a girl in the front and the backseat. I just had my tires. LOL

When the light turned green I took off fairly quickly and heard the exhaust so I knew he got on it. I ran out 1st and made my 1-2 shift at about the same time he did, the classic Chevy vs Ford Duel was on. At the top of second he hit the rev limiter and then wasn't too clean on his shift. We ran up to about 65 where I let off on the 55 mph hwy we were on. I had him by about a half car length.

We got to another light and had the same results except I launched much better and had him by about the same at 65 since he shifted better, not perfect but better.

Third light, he blew the launch and I got him by about a car and a half at 65.

All in all some fun runs at least for me. I'm sure the girls are still laughing at him for getting beat 3 times by a Chevy Cavalier.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It cuda been the Z28. If it is the Cav wtf is done, I got one its the slowest thing ever lol
It was my 2003 Cavalier. It's an Ecotech powered 5spd with nice sticky tires and a better than average driver. I've clocked off a couple 15.6's with the Cavalier at the strip. I know the GT was capable of mid 14's, the Mustang pilot wasn't.

Most important mod is the driver mod. I've got a couple friends with modified F-Bodies. I raced one already with my stock 02 A4 Z28 with 2.73 gears. He has a 2000 SS 6M with heads, cam, headers, drag radials, 4.10 gears and I've been able to beat him most of the way to 100. He has trouble getting into the 12's in that car and I've driven it at the track into the 11's. He got pissed that my 06 C6, the red A6 one in my avatar, was beating his 420 hp at the wheels F body. So he let me run it to see what it would really do.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea drivers important,but in this case you must an F1 driver and he must be a first timer behind the wheel haha. Sweet kill!
Let's do some math here.

1999-2004 Mustang GT can do 0-60 in 5.6-5.7 seconds.
My 03 Cavalier with the Ecotech is a high 7 second car, lets call it 7.9.

I need to make up 2.2 seconds to 60.

He hits his rev limiter, that kills a full half second right there. He snoozes at the light, that kills .75 seconds. His shifts are slow compared to mine by .2 seconds. He has extra weight from the sound system in his car and the 2 passengers he had that knocks off another .3 seconds. He's now 1.75 seconds behind the 5.7 0-60 or in other words he's running a 7.4-7.5 0-60.

I've run 15.6 and 15.7 at the track. Most cars that run 15.6 are 0-60 in the low to mid 7 second range.

Trust me, I'm not bashing the car, I am the driver. There's no need to get defensive.

I have been competitive in shifter carts. I've also spent some time on road courses and I have more drag strip passes than just about any non pro racer, my guess would be somewhere between 2500 and 2700. I was able to get my 2002 Corvette Z06 to run an 11.501 with only an intake and drag radials. I think I have one of the top 5 quickest times in an LS2 powered stock GTO at 12.895.

F1 drivers shift by pushing buttons. They use LED lights in their helmets that are tied to the cars computers to aid in proper gear selection. Their skills are more in car dynamics like braking and turning than in clutch skills. I'd say I'm more like a pro-stock drag racer than F1.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wasn't defending the mustang....said he was a bad driver and even threw a complement your way-Told you nice kill. Dunno how thats defensive. Either way though.

BTW the mustang comes with a 1000watt sound system so it was probably factory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts