Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been buying mustang Gts for $300 over invoice for the last 3 mustangs gts that i have had 1995,2000,2002.Well the New Mustang Gts are going for list or over list and the dealers are crazy and the people that buy them over invoice are just nuts too.Glad I found this site and thought the 2004 GTOs were a bit Ugly with no hoodscoop and single exhaust and the front of the car looks like a Grandam or any other pontiac.Remember the 2004s where going for around $28,000 in Dec and glad that they are a bit cheaper now.Hearing prices around $22,000-$25000 is not bad.But still would not want a 2004,but will buy a 2005 GTO for under $30,000 if there are any in Sept or Oct.Would like to get a 2006 Mustang Gt for invoice but don't know if that will happen,so maybe i will get lucky with a GTO.Johnny

·
Registered
410 Posts
The GTO and Mustang are both good cars but in different class. Even my Mustang buddy at work acknowledges that at the higher speeds there is no comparison and the interior in the GTO rivals the BMWs and MB.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You really need to drive them both because they each have their own mindset.

I traded a 99 Camaro SS for the GTO. I liked my Camaro a lot but the GTO is far, far more refined. The interior is outstanding and the IRS pays big dividends on rough roads. The car is heavier than the Mustang or Camaro but it is an outstanding package plus it has real back seats that are comfortable for real adults.

I'd say drive them both on the highway and city for at least 1/2 hour each (tell the sales person to be quiet so you aren't distracted) and then just sit in both for at least another 1/2 hour and check out the seats (the GTO has great seats front and back) and controls then pick the one you like best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
165,000 new Mustangs this year alone, versus (maybe) 16,000 GTO.s And all the GTOs are the real thing (V8s.) They both have beautiful interiors, they both look fantastic from the front. Side view? Not crazy about either, but for most people; they like the Mustang. 3 years from now you will still be making payments and there will be 1/2 million new Mustangs on the road. For good reason. The GTO just didn't do it for me when it came out, but it really grew on me. I have seen a total of 1 GTO on the road since I bought mine 3 weeks ago. I just like driving something a little different. And I paid 500 under invoice for my 05 GTO. I have owned 11 second cars, but none more fun than this car.

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i have had my heart set on a Mustang Gt but i don't think they will come down in price for the 2006s.I am hoping that the GTOs will come down under the $30s around sept or oct.I liked how the 2004s are going for under$25,000 at some dealers.Are the dealers taking a hit at those prices?And if not who's to say they cannot sell the 2005s for under $30,000?I have seen only 1 GTO as of yet and it was a 2004 not impressed but the 05s are a lot better and you get alot for your money.Johnny :cheers

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Johnny,

The production of the 05 GTO's is scheduled to end later this month, last year the production ran 3 months longer thus placing the 04 GTO's in the dealers late into the fourth quarter. It is difficult to sell the 04's that late in the year without massive discounts.

The last of the 05's will probably arrive to the dealers sometime in August or September. I don't think you will see the same discounts on the 05's as on the 04's.

Good luck,

·
Registered
26 Posts
I looked at a mustang GT this past week. Not many dealers have them first of all but the one that did have a couple wanted close to $31k for a $27500 MSRP car.

The GTO, while not being marked up, are not being heavily discounted either. Last year's discounts on 04's were an aberration. They overestimated demand which led to bloated inventories on dealer lots. On top of that, the 05 changes were well publicized thanks to forums like these while the dealers were sitting on all the 04's. Add that to the discontinuation of the C5's which led to new C5 prices dipping into the 30's.

The 05's are selling better but still not THAT great. The key difference is that the dealers have adjusted their inventories based on 04 demand. Slightly better demand combined with greatly reduced dealer inventories means dealers are not giving them away. I was lucky enough to find a dealer sitting on 5 GTO's who was very eager to sell. But that was after talking to 4 other dealers who let me walk at a price which ultimately was doable.

If you know what you are getting (badass engine in a so so chassis) I would jump on it now. The dealer inventory will only get leaner in my opinion.

good luck in your search.

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see my local dealer has 6 of them in stock and the other dealers near me maybe have only 1 and some don't even have 1.So i want to wait till aug or sept and see if i can get a great deal,at that time my warrenty will be up with my mustang gt and hope i can get a 2006 mustang gt for around $24,000 and if not i am hoping to get a 2005 GTO for under $30,000...Will not get a Charger because its really not a Hemi or really a Charger with the 4 doors.So since the production will end soon maybe there will be a few GTOs in Sep or Oct.....And maybe i can get a deal...Hate to spend over $30,000 when in a few month i MIGHT be able to get a GTO at a very good price.Thanks for all yea helppppp.Jt

·
Registered
6 Posts
GT vs. GTO hmm well dumb as it may sound i traded in my 05 GT for a 04 GTO and im so much more happy with the Goat. and ran more than a couple GT stock to my stock GTO and never lost one yet ) :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have yet to run into a GTO owner on the street that we haven't stopped to chat about the cars and left feeling pls'ed with the encounter.

The same can't be said about mustang owners.

When the 04 came out, I wasn't thrilled. looked to furin. Others felt it didn't look like it was supposed to, what ever that means. But hell, the camaro didn't look like a 69 or a 70's when it retired. So WTF.

I was going to get an 05 GT and had test driven them, shopped around, thought about ordering one, test drove it again and then finally went to get one.

Invoice wise there was no mark up and I hadn't even heard of dlrs locally doing that. When I was ready, I couldn't find one with leather, let alone the upgraded interior and dash. And the sales bitch was no help at all. I as practically having to tell her to go search for one. Autoway is a large company, they gotta have one some where. BTW, not a big fan of the company, but they have a much larger inventory to choose from and in my hunt for the GT, no dlr would give up what they had with out trading for one. Used to be, if a dlr elsewhere's close by had one, they would ship it. Not on a GT or even a GTO I found out latter.

Long story short, I have an 05 GTO, exterior and interior color of choice and a better car over all, I think. And with the SAP kit, mo'better looking.

Now the GTO did have a $3000 market adjusted price. And the first salesman must have thought I was kidding when I asked about it and told him I wasn't paying it, cause he got another salesman to handle me. Really, that dlrship sucks and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. But they had what I was looking for and again, no dlr was willing to send a GTO anywhere w/o a trade.

So, after hammering his ass pretty good and getting them to take off the markup and another 2 grand I pointed to my trade in and bent over his used car guy. About three hours latter, I got what I wanted, and at my price.

Then latter they came out with their GM Employee discount..... could'a saved my some time :)

In the end, I heard that sigh of relief, I'm more than happy with my choice of car. And honestly, it doesn't have the " gotta have it" looks of the GT, but I blend in and the cops don't take notice of me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The last time I looked there were 25 new goats on the web in the Atlanta dealers inventory, I would wait until GM offered some rebates or something.I still think from a distance coming at you the GTO looks to much like so many other pontiacs ,GP,GRAN_AM etc.It just does not stand out in a crowd like the 05 mustang. Not to mention the SVT -cobra which will be out soon.Sure there will be thousands of GT's on every corner ,but so what. They sold one million 65-66 mustangs back in the 60's ,but look how the GT today is a very hot collector car. When you get a design right it doesn't have to grow on you.Look @ the Porcshe 928 that car never looked right and today they are not worth much, even with Porcshe name on it.Look how great the 65 goat looked in 65 and it looks great TODAY !!!

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am waiting for my Stang Gt from the dealer with X-Plan.
Wanted to get a GTO with the 400hp and thought the Black with red seats would be pretty cool.
When i got to the dealer i could not find the GTOS,they all looked alike,Grandams grandprix and ect.
Then i saw the GTO i felt pretty bad wasting my time in looking at them.
The insides are nice but you really want the outside looking good too.
And since i got X-Plan with Ford i think a loaded Stang GT will for for around $27,000.
if i didnot have the X-plan from ford maybe i would get the GTO,but i would have to wait to the price drop a bit more on the GTOs ,still a bit too high.Maybe around $28,000 in sept or oct.JohnnyT

·
Registered
16 Posts
x-stanger said:
The last time I looked there were 25 new goats on the web in the Atlanta dealers inventory, I would wait until GM offered some rebates or something.I still think from a distance coming at you the GTO looks to much like so many other pontiacs ,GP,GRAN_AM etc.It just does not stand out in a crowd like the 05 mustang. Not to mention the SVT -cobra which will be out soon.Sure there will be thousands of GT's on every corner ,but so what. They sold one million 64-65 mustangs back in the 60's ,but look how the GT today is a very hot collector car. When you get a design right it doesn't have to grow on you.Look @ the Porcshe 928 that car never looked right and today they are not worth much, even with Porcshe name on it.Look how great the 65 goat looked in 65 and it looks great TODAY !!!
Gotta Love It! :rofl:

·
Registered
937 Posts
johnnytuinal said:
Wanted to get a GTO with the 400hp and thought the Black with red seats would be pretty cool.
When i got to the dealer i could not find the GTOS,they all looked alike,Grandams grandprix and ect.
And since i got X-Plan with Ford i think a loaded Stang GT will for for around $27,000.
if i didnot have the X-plan from ford maybe i would get the GTO,but i would have to wait to the price drop a bit more on the GTOs ,still a bit too high.Maybe around $28,000 in sept or oct.JohnnyT
Enjoy your new GT Johnny. I'll be waiving at you through my rear window! :seeya:

·
Registered
204 Posts
johnnytuinal said:
And yet you're still here :seeya:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I find it funny how people take the advice of others at first, but then eventually still end up making the bad decision and falling in to peer pressure. (time when I need the little emoticon hitting his head on a wall.)

I also find it extremely funny how people say the goat looks exactly like the Grand Prix and the Grand Am.... two cars which really look rather different, so how can it look like both? Anyway, they say that then everyone praises how beautiful the new Charger looks. "The new Charger's sophisticated styling and design...." blah blah blah. They complain about the goats looks, then fail to realize how the Charger looks almost exactly like the new 300... and of course also very close to the Magnum?

The Mustang I will hate as I always have because it's just way too flashy for my tastes. Too many people buy it just for its exterrior looks, regardless of its craptastic interrior, or its even crappiertastic ride quality. I also hate how everyone loves to call the Mustang a "muscle car" when it always has been and always will be a "pony car". There's no American muscle in that thing. Oh well, at least with my goat I won't have to worry about Fixing Or Rebuilding it Daily

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also think the charger looks like a nash rambler 4 door. I don't think the GTO has a problem with it's looks. I just think GM was not willing to start from scratch and design a GTO. So they did the next best thing and gave us a 400 hp ,6 speed coupe. Some people love it some don't .I will say Ford did start from scratch on the 05 GT. most people like it some don't. BUT here is the where Ford takes it a step further for us car nuts. They have SVT to make it into a real performance car . Not just looks but engineering also. Pontiac doen't have a group in the states that Im aware of. I know Holden does but that is almost a secret over here.HSV or something like that, see what I mean.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah, I like the SVT. I also like the idea of the new Shelby. As I've always said though, I wish with the new Shelby Ford would make an engine with a higher displacement and higher power, just so it would have even greater modding capabilities which would make it an even greater race-car like the present goat and vette.

Anyone see the pictures for the upcoing Charger SRT-8? I'll say it looks worlds better than the other Chargers, but it's still absolutely craptastic compared to the Mustang and GTO.

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really think the Charger is a abortion looking type of car,even if you get the decals on the car it still is a 2006 charger yukkkkk.
You are telling me that the front of the GrandAms and Grand Prixs don't look a bit like the GTO?
I am going to wait a little bit and see if i get my Stang Gt in the next few weeks.
And if not i will go pricing the GTOs since i see them on all my dealers lots.You would think i would get a really great deal in sept on a GTO...
Lets look at it if a GTO was selling for around $30,200 in june when GM First had their GM employees pricing.
You would think in 2 week when we are in sept we should get the car around $28,000-$29,000.
What are the dealers going to do keep them till JAN 2006 before they start making them down.......JohnnyT

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.