Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking to a guy with a Mustang GT that is supercharged.

I've learned some stuff, some good stuff.

The Ford racing package that I was talking about doesn't have an intercooler and isn't very common because of that. With a good aftermarket tune that package can get as much as 400 rwhp. Ford does rate it at 400 flywheel hp. Without the aftermarket tune it's got a factory warranty too.

The weight of his Mustang GT is 3480 lbs with a 5spd before the supercharger. I've seen weights all over the place for those cars, kinda like the C6, mine weighed 3136 and I've seen as high as 3300 for them. I'm going to go with his actual weight of 3480 for a 5spd Mustang GT. His weight now is 3750 with him in it.

He's got a supercharger with an intercooler on his. He's had it to Gainesville and was able to get a 12.5 at 117 with traction and clutch issues. He has a good tune and 4.10 gears on his. He has since replaced the clutch, but will need some good sticky tires to get the cars full potential. This is me talking, I think with 117 mph he's got a 11.6-11.8 car. He just thinks he'll be able to get into the 11's.

The Roush charger has problems with heat build up and most Mustang guys don't go with it. The Saleen does a better job. Or a whipple with an intercooler.

So coming from a guy that knows, if the Mustang GT has a supercharger and no intercooler, or it's a Roush you got a chance with the stock LS2 GTO. If we're tallking an intercooled GT you better be carefull and hope the guy doesn't get traction and then shut it down before he does. Either that, or match him mod for mod. LOL

·
Registered
465 Posts
Are you talking about the brand new stangs? One of my good friends has an '02 with an intercooled vortech setup. He runs a consistant 12.0, and has had a few super high 11s. Which is still slower than the cammed, and bolt-ons f-bodies in our club. Sometimes i don't quite get it.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about the brand new stangs? One of my good friends has an '02 with an intercooled vortech setup. He runs a consistant 12.0, and has had a few super high 11s. Which is still slower than the cammed, and bolt-ons f-bodies in our club. Sometimes i don't quite get it.
Yep, I'm talking about the new body style Mustangs.

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
Yep, I'm talking about the new body style Mustangs.

Thats cool, so my neighbor with the new white with black stripes Mustang GT with the badge supercharged under GT can be beaten your saying. I know he does not have a tune. Heck, he looked under the hood and in the owners manual trying to find the horsepower of this thing. To top it off he is a mechanic!? So, maybe, just maybe, my goat with a couple few mods should be able to get the stang?

·
Registered
289 Posts
What is there to get?? Different people have different tastes. That's why they make both Mustangs and Camaros...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats cool, so my neighbor with the new white with black stripes Mustang GT with the badge supercharged under GT can be beaten your saying. I know he does not have a tune. Heck, he looked under the hood and in the owners manual trying to find the horsepower of this thing. To top it off he is a mechanic!? So, maybe, just maybe, my goat with a couple few mods should be able to get the stang?
Get him to pop the hood agian. If there is an intercooler, I'd bet he would take you till you get some mods, meaning heads and cam, or at least headers, exhaust, intake and tune with some good sticky DR's.

If there isn't an intercooler, or it says Roush on the supercharger you got a pretty good shot at beating him.

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
Get him to pop the hood agian. If there is an intercooler, I'd bet he would take you till you get some mods, meaning heads and cam, or at least headers, exhaust, intake and tune with some good sticky DR's.

If there isn't an intercooler, or it says Roush on the supercharger you got a pretty good shot at beating him.
I thought my partner said he saw a saleen decal under the hood. Not sure. What supercharger is available at the dealership for installation. I was told this option is a dealer installed item.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
The Saleen charger has a built in intercooler. Looks cool but pricey.
Stage 3 Motorsports 2005-08 Saleen Mustang 4.6L Supercharger Kit w/475 HP Upgrade
Yikes, I am working tomorrow and if the mustang is still outside of his house, with pollen and tree dingle berrys all over it still, Ill stop and chat with the man myself. Then man owns two garages, one mobil station and one garage that is pretty much empty. Why would you just leave a car like this sit in front of your house in the driveway uncovered....even when you have a daily driver(white pickup truck) to drive here to there in.:confused

·
Banned
27 Posts
Hell, I got smoked in my goat by a modded V6 Mustang. That was really embarassing, accidentally started in 6, and my engine died in front of a crowd of 200 or so. Most embarassing moment in my GTO.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
What is there to get?? Different people have different tastes. That's why they make both Mustangs and Camaros...
Different people have different opinions too. If he doesn't get it as too why the supercharged Mustang is slower than the other cars then he doesn't get it. I don't think he has to explain that to you or anyone else. It's his opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Most supercharged 2005+ stangs will be running off stock blocks, rearend, transmissions etc. So boost levels will be in 8-10 lbs range producing mostly 420-480 rear wheel horsepower and usually less rear wheel torque. If it's a factory warrantied job like a Roush, it may even be at 6 lbs. Turbos are starting to become more popular but you won't find many out there yet, and their boost levels on stock components will be similar. The torque might be higher because they're not belt driven.

·
Registered
465 Posts
hey, im not trying to bash on mustangs, his is damn fast and it's a blast to ride along in, it's just that it seems much more simple, and cost effective to modify an lsx car. Maybe that's just my preferance for GM cars speaking.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm not implying you're bashing Mustangs, nor am I bashing your opinion. I was just saying. Power potential is not everything to everyone. You have to remember the Modular Ford V8 is working w/ much less displacement.

If everyone was building their cars based on cost effectiveness, then we'd all be driving Pintos w/ a big block shoved in them....

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not implying you're bashing Mustangs, nor am I bashing your opinion. I was just saying. Power potential is not everything to everyone. You have to remember the Modular Ford V8 is working w/ much less displacement.

If everyone was building their cars based on cost effectiveness, then we'd all be driving Pintos w/ a big block shoved in them....
Sorry, you might be in a Pinto, they blow up, or maybe just blow, one of those two. Most of us would be in a Chevette with a good ole Chevy motor and we'd be kicking your Ford loving butt. :D:lol::D:lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dude, if I was on one side of the fence or the other, I'd be on the HATE side. I am by NO means a Ford fan. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it, actually....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts