Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This past sunday I had an interesting encounter.

Im just cruising along on some side streets and I pass an 03 mustang GT and he has his windows down bumping his music. He happens to notice me so he speeds by and slows down so we meet at the next light. :lol:

Light turns green and I just ease off the line... he of course guns it so I proceed to reel him in on his 1 car length jump. I rip past him then let off with about 2 cars on him. We were on a wide road with nobody around (surprisingly). Knowing there could be popo lerking I just took it easy.

Approaching a yellow light I slow down and I look in my mirror and see the mustang accelerating. Light turns red and I stop at the light. This idiot proceeds to run the obvious RED light. I see a nice black and white car to my right at the intersection waiting to turn left. The cop whips out of the lane and turns on his lights to chase him down.:rofl:

It made me laugh because this guy was so pissed he didn't want to roll up to me at another light and that he got busted running the light. But if he would have hit someone at that intersection I would have felt awful.

This guy was a total dumbass because he had plenty of time to stop for this light but his ego was bruised and then it took another hit by getting nailed by the cop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I thought about giving a little honk honk but I felt lucky I didn't get busted whew!!! Yeah, I had sh*ty grin on my face as I cruised by nice and slow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't call it much of a kill though. Your car vs. an older mustang. What hp did the 03GT have...maybe 270? Think you would win over an 07GT. Would be a better match up, but you should still win.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
I wouldn't call it much of a kill though. Your car vs. an older mustang. What hp did the 03GT have...maybe 270? Think you would win over an 07GT. Would be a better match up, but you should still win.
Regardless of how much hp the other car has that really doesn't matter. The guy wanted to race and he got beat. To me, that's a kill... PERIOD!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I've slayed every new retro body style stang GT I've come up against, convertible, hard top, fancy hood scoop, no hood scoop, you name it. 300 hp dino rear end sleds, to be honest. I know the GTO is no 599 GTB, but for the most part, we are what we are, and we accept that. Seems like every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a V8 stang of ANY year, has something to prove. The funny thing is, EVERY time I've beaten a stang, it was the STANG that provoked it/started sh*t. I did one time pull up next to a convertible gt500 on the interstate, but it was an older woman driving and I didn't want to be a dick. The was the closest I've ever come to provoking a stang.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the first mustang kill in awhile for me. the last win I had against a 'stang was about 3 months ago against a newer model on the highway. The mustang owner should have known better than to challenge a goat....:cool

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good for the Stang.....Why show off to someone who can smoke ya to began with. Hope you get to see him again down the road and blow his doors off. Good story :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
03 vs 04

He was in an 04 so it was not like a new GTO against an old Stang. It was an 04 car vs 03 car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Agree that the stang driver was ignorant. I wouldn't try any year GTO in a stock mustang GT. My last vette was an 02 Z06. You have to respect and admire the powerplant.

As far as stang drivers provoking street races. I get it a lot too. I even get mustangs who will make u-turns to come after me. In traffic, many just make loud noises when they get alongside. Gotta remember, the typical stang driver will be a very young male...still cursed by immaturities and pimples.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of my good friends has an 06 Mustang GT Glassback, and he thought it would be an interesting matchup against my 04 M6 GTO. He has a few induction mods and a new exhaust system (not sure what though), but anyway he got his doors blown off from a dead stop. By the time i was between 90-100 he was prolly a good 8-10 carlengths behind me. Either way you cut it any stock GTO will prolly beat any STOCK Mustang GT no matter what year either one of the cars are.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Regardless of how much hp the other car has that really doesn't matter. The guy wanted to race and he got beat. To me, that's a kill... PERIOD!
That's what I say. I had an 07 Cayman take me to task a few weeks ago and blew him away, flat out gone, speck in my rear mirror:shutme . Got a few posts saying the Cayman is a track car and it not really count, I beg to differ. There are some cars not worth the fuel, but I felt the Cayman was a worthy opponent and he came after me...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
That's what I say. I had an 07 Cayman take me to task a few weeks ago and blew him away, flat out gone, speck in my rear mirror:shutme . Got a few posts saying the Cayman is a track car and it not really count, I beg to differ. There are some cars not worth the fuel, but I felt the Cayman was a worthy opponent and he came after me...
Anybody that tries is a worthy opponent. If the driver and/or the car isn't up to the task so be it. You should always honor the threat though with a maximum effort. You never know when that stock Cavalier beside you is sporting a turbocharged Ecotech with 280 whp and he beats you because you didn't take him seriously. Then your car that should have won ends up being a story on some forum it has no business being on.

Anybody saying the Cayman is a track is just compensating for the fact that a Porsche that costs twice what most paid for their new GTO's got smoked. That same person, if you would have been on a road cousre and the Porsche would have won, would be saying see the superior German engineering, not that the GTO is really a GT car and not a road course car.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
the Ford Gods were against me

Last Friday, I got off work at 12:30 noon, merged onto the interstate, wasn't on the interstate for an 1/4 mile, and I see a prior body style stang gt 3 lanes over in the fast lane. I'm still in the slow lane (I just merged onto the interstate) but I see he is clipping along, not driving dangerously by any means, but faster then all the other cars, I catch up to him (still in the slow lane) and move one lane over to the left. There is still one lane in between us. He sees me, moves over one lane to the right, now we are side by side. I figured he'd have a go at me but slowed up a bit and got behind me and started tailgating me bad. This pissed me off so I started to speed up. The faster I went the faster he went.

A few seconds later I look in the rearview and see that he is WAY back, a good 10 or more car lengths. I'm thinking WTF? Then he moves over to the right into the slow lane and I see why he slowed up and moved over. Flying up behind me like a bat out of hell is a silver unmarked undercover Alabama State trooper driving a brand new Ford Expedition with the dash glowing bright purple/blue (our cop colors here, no red, and don't ask me why) along with hidden lights going off inside the grill. I look down and see that I'm just decelerating below 100 and know I'm f#$ked. I ease over to the right one lane hoping he is hauling ass to an accident scene or something but no such luck, he gets right behind me. My radar detector never made a sound, and it's a high dollar 300+ model that is suppose to read everything, laser etc.

I pull over to the side of the interstate and instead of stopping behind me, he pulls off into the grass/ditch, and drives up beside my passenger side close enough to rub side mirrors. He rolls down his window. I roll down mine and lean over the center console into the passenger seat looking up at him. He was a younger guy, in his early 30's, dressed in a fancy cop white collar uniform, something higher up on the food chain, not a beat uniform. He flashes me his badge. "Are you in a hurry?" He asks me. All I could say (scared sh#tless and shaking) was "No......Just got off work.....That mustang was f#cking with me.....I was stupid...."

He looks me in the eyes and says "I was running 104 and couldn't keep up...Speed limit is 65....You're looking at a ticket of 550 bucks plus...Don't let a fine like that ruin your weekend..." Right about then the mustang drives by us (rolling along at about 45 mph with both hands on the steering wheel eyes glued straight ahead, daring not to make conact with me). The cop then says "Good to see you've got your seat belt on. Slow it down. Have a nice day," and starts to roll his window up. By this time I'm practically hanging out of the passenger side window, eyes damn near in tears, and all I could say in a trembling voice was....."Thank you....." and he drove away. I shook like a leaf the remainder of my 17 mile drive home and never once went above 65.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Given you tolerate my occasional visits to your site quite well, let me wish all of you safe and happy holidays (Christmas + New Year). Car being put back together right now after some major upgrades. I don't street race but hope to see some of my buds in their modded and very fast GTOs at the track mid January.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts