Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started working on my car over a year ago, car was so far gone most people probably wouldn’t even think about saving it but I decided to give it a shot, it is seriously overwhelming at times considering I have never worked on the car before, I am just taking it easy and doing research on literally every single thing before I start working on it. I just finished repairing the body and wanted to share some pictures from when I started......

.....and most recent pictures where the body is ready to go back on the new chassis

·
Registered
573 Posts
Da
I started working on my car over a year ago, car was so far gone most people probably wouldn’t even think about saving it but I decided to give it a shot, it is seriously overwhelming at times considering I have never worked on the car before, I am just taking it easy and doing research on literally every single thing before I start working on it. I just finished repairing the body and wanted to share some pictures from when I started......

View attachment 139487 View attachment 139486
View attachment 139488 View attachment 139489 View attachment 139491 View attachment 139492 View attachment 139493

.....and most recent pictures where the body is ready to go back on the new chassis

View attachment 139494
View attachment 139495
Da## way to go. I did a camaro once, people thought I was crazy but it was not that bad. Good for you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How in hell did that car rust out from the top down like that, I’m from NH so I’m used to them going the other way, much easier to repair too.
Hell of a job Mike!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How in hell did that car rust out from the top down like that, I’m from NH so I’m used to them going the other way, much easier to repair too.
Hell of a job Mike!!
Previous owner parked it in some heavy bushes in New Jersey, taped all the gaps thinking it will keep the moisture out and left it there for 20 years, this was rust free car from Texas when he got it,
Thank you all for good words

·
Registered
154 Posts

View attachment 139488 View attachment 139489 View attachment 139491 View attachment 139492 View attachment 139493

View attachment 139494
View attachment 139495
were you able to save the VIN? But wow! I had to show my wife, see honey mines not that bad.
Keep the pics coming should be an awesome buggy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
were you able to save the VIN? But wow! I had to show my wife, see honey mines not that bad.
Keep the pics coming should be an awesome buggy.
Yes, vin was ok, rockers were also unusually solid without spec of rust, looks like they were zinc plated.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do you have an estimated amount? Of total rebuild. Just vurious. What did you pay for it originally. Cant wait to see engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have an estimated amount? Of total rebuild. Just vurious. What did you pay for it originally. Cant wait to see engine
I overpaid for the car but it doesn't matter, I am having a great time building it,
few more funny pictures, so you all feel better about your project cars:p

IMG_9956.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts

View attachment 139494
View attachment 139495

View attachment 139494
View attachment 139495
Great job. I've seen professional shops that couldn't get that much done in a year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awesome work Mike! You given me renewed inspiration for my ’67, which is almost as bad as yours was. Nearly everything on mine was rusted out except the roof, doors and front bumper.

I started on mine over a year ago, too, but I’m a novice with limited welding skill and doing it in my spare time. I’ve just replaced the LH sail panel support and rear roof support/upper window channel with some parts from Frank’s in CA.

Where did you get the clean windshield channels and dash panel?

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Awesome work Mike! You given me renewed inspiration for my ’67, which is almost as bad as yours was. Nearly everything on mine was rusted out except the roof, doors and front bumper.

I started on mine over a year ago, too, but I’m a novice with limited welding skill and doing it in my spare time. I’ve just replaced the LH sail panel support and rear roof support/upper window channel with some parts from Frank’s in CA.

View attachment 139726 View attachment 139727 View attachment 139728

Check this out, I got pieces for my '68 front windshield. Have not tackled the job, just have the parts ready. Probably will need the rear window parts as well once I remove the window.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

ok, you win with the dash :p I work on my car in spare time also, 10 - 15 hrs/week,
you can get the aftermarket windshield channel, I got mine from AMD but looks like you need a little more than that, the support for the channel looks gone,
I fabricated top of my dash myself using English wheel, shrinker and stretcher, I think it was four pieces welded together

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok, you win with the dash :p I work on my car in spare time also, 10 - 15 hrs/week,
you can get the aftermarket windshield channel, I got mine from AMD but looks like you need a little more than that, the support for the channel looks gone,
I fabricated top of my dash myself using English wheel, shrinker and stretcher, I think it was four pieces welded together

View attachment 139762 View attachment 139763 View attachment 139764 View attachment 139765 View attachment 139767 View attachment 139768
Mike – so cool. I would love to learn how to use those machines. When I watch shows like Iron Resurrection, I’m always fascinated by the fabrication aspect of it. I have no idea how I’m going to repair my dash.

Did you fabricate everything? It looks like your replacement LH sail panel support is brand new.

It sounds like we spend about the same amount of time per week on our projects, but the skill levels are light years apart. So maybe I’ll reach where you’re at in another couple of years!😆

1 - 20 of 21 Posts