Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is currently only starting bout 1/3 of the time. When it does start it starts just fine but When it doesnt want to start it just clicks. I already replaced the starter, alternator and battery . Any suggestions on where i should look next?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Does it click after the engine is hot after driving it? Or does it do it cold?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually hot after driving it, it has left me stranded at a restaurant after going to eat inside. So far i havnt experienced it clicking when cold. Im going to try to clean my throttle body and MAF sensor to see if that helps.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Did you put the heat shield back on when you replaced the starter?

·
Registered
442 Posts
The starter is most likely over hearing. There’s a reason for the stock heat shield. You should also check the main power wire that feeds the starter and make sure its not corroded or oxidized from age

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put on the stock heat shield and it still having trouble starting . The main power wire seems to be fine also. the clicking sounds from the starter.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
When it clicks and won't start, how do you get it to start?
Do you keep trying and it will start, eventually? Or, do you jump it off to start?
Do you wait for a while, and it will finally start?
After it clicks and won't start, are the cables hot?
Are the battery cables flexible, with smooth insulation? Not stiff, with bulges in the insulation?
Are the connections to battery, solenoid, and ground good?

LaRRY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts