I need to think about something other than all the engine problems I had with my '64 GTO, so I thought I would introduce my '64 Tempest. In 1989 I raced my GTO for the last time with slicks on it. That was a Saturday night, and on Monday morning first gear and the cluster broke in the M22. The car was pretty nice, so I'm telling myself "what's wrong with this picture". With my wife's blessing, I started looking for a project car to make into a racecar. At the time I was running a 428 in the streetcar, but I had the old street race 400 set aside, and I still had the '65 tri-power I took off of my wagon. So I go looking for any model of a '64 or '65 Tempest. First they were hard to find, and then when I looked at some of them the sellers thought they were made out of gold. A good friend of mine was a sign painter and he painted lot of racecars. The point being that he had a lot of contacts. He told me about a car about 15 miles from me that he thought would be a good candidate. I looked at it and it seemed OK, but I thought it had a lot of surface issues. He said they would not be a problem. I was trying to keep my expense below $1500, which was starting to look like a pipe dream. I got this one for $1200, and at the same time I bought some extra parts. No engine, no transmission, and no interior. Plus it had '70 GTO disc brakes on the front, but they weren't working. The master cylinder had not been replaced. So I purchased it in 1991. These pictures are just of the project as purchased, and I'll post separately on the journey.