Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I've always like the 65-67 GTO so I finally bought one. Here is a little write up of the first few hours with it. I knew I wanted a little more than a stock motor so I looked for one that had a bigger motor. So the one I found has a 455 in it with some performance cam that adds about 100 HP. Pics looked good and even seen some video, but the finish is allot rougher than I was expecting. Well long story short I got myself a 20 footer:( So I got some work to do:)

It is a California car, and lived in Cali and Texas its whole life.

Before you look at the pics I will say in the pics even from me the paint looks much better than in person, very hard for the camera to pic it up. I posted some video that hopefully shows it at the end.

First, here is a pic of how it looked as it showed up:

Under the hood:

I sprayed the dust off:

Soap:

Hood dried off:

Swirl city:

A big scratch, I think I can work it out though:

Some more scuffs in the paint:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Allot of crap on the trunk, looks like someone got crazy with a rotary:

Bumpers and trim got some crap all over it, no idea what it is and how to approach it yet:

miss match paint:

Cracked paint or bondo:

More pics of crap on bumper:

If you look close you see some paint drip and a chip and crappy trim:

Nasty dent :( Can this be fixed?

Started to clay the hood:

Swirls on hood:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More swirls:

You can see some of the old buff marks here:

Here is my test spot on the hood, about as good as this paint can look:

Half the hood done:

Hood done:

Hood again:

Using flash...still could work it some more but paint is so crappy I don't see the point:

Another shot of the hood:

This video was taken before I hit it with the PC but you can see some of the bubbles and pits. This is the only place you can kinda see the pits\bubble that are all over this poor thing. Right in the first 1-4 seconds you barely see some.

This video just shows the swirl city.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Most anything can be fixed...... You state you are bummed at the price but don't mention what you paid for it. What does the underside look like? Chassis etc? For many what you are showing is easy stuff to fix. It's the stuff you didn't see or cannot see that will bite you in the a$$.

I suppose I could mention... never buy a car sight unseen. IF necessary have someone who fully knows the car and what to look for and can haggle you a good price on it speak for you if you cannot be there, but to let a sister do this and rely on a few pictures then find out its not what those little pictures indicated on a phone...... well I won't bring it up.

Whatever you had budgeted to invest in this car figure on adding a bunch more.... Even on expected surprises those totals rise, let alone unexpected surprises that will certainly cost your more than you thought. One step at a time.... whats more important right now, appearance or getting the real important things done that you may not have known about.

IMO if it were me, I'd make sure the car is mechanically sound to run right now.. shine her up and drive her.. prioritize what you want to do and go one step at a time. It is what it is so go forward with it and don't dwell on I shoulda woulda.... your biggest issue will be $$$. Come up with a plan and go one step at a time.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
:agree

From your pics and descriptions,photo's, it looks like you got yourself a nice 5-10 footer. Now go out and drive it and fall in love with it because it's a GTO! Fix those little items you can but I would'nt neccasarily tear it all down right away to do a frame off. Enjoy the car, accumulate parts for a restoration and when your ready you'll know the car much better. :cheers

Post car? Whats the interior like?

·
Registered
668 Posts
That is pitting on the trim and bumpers, it happens to all of them. You can get them rechromed or get new stuff, no buffing or polishing is going to fix it. I havent seen 40+ year old trim not pitted yet. Dont worry about it, like the guys said its easy stuff. If its been in California and Texas all its life, then chances are you wont have huge rust issues.

The cracked spot on the quarter is probably a dent filled with bondo. I have two california cars and both of them had crappy repairs like that to dents. For now dont worry about it if you want a driver. If you want a show car that is a good place to start, and the money is well spent.

I would start driving it too, find out what else it needs and start working on it so you can enjoy it. Dont freak about little things wrong with it, if you want a perfect paint job you are going to be spending $20k at least. Anything less than that will still have flaws in it, you just dont want obvious ones when you get it redone, like runs and fish eyes.

Just get it out and enjoy it, there is nothing like cruising around in one of these cars even with the flaws. Hell, people used to pull up next to me at stoplights and start a conversation about my 70, tell me it was a beautiful car, and even had people hanging out windows on the street yelling how much they love it. It was painted with rattle cans at that time. I am just as picky as you are, probably more picky than you when it comes to my work, but most people just see a cool old GTO, and they dont see those everywhere. Make sure the brakes are good and it doesnt overheat, then go have people talk to you or yell about how much they like your car..

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
When you start cruzing around and you get a
wherever you go, you'll forget about the imperfections in a real hurry!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, its a post car. The interior of the doors looks original, but the roof and floor look brand new.

The under side of the hood, especially above the battery has a good bit of rust, but the rest only has a few rust spots. It appears most the chips didn't make it to the metal as it still looks like primer\bondo.

I'm going to finish the rest the car before I take it for a real drive.

I'll get more pics up tonight.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is SOOO hot here and I have no shade or cool canopy. I'll wait a few hours to start work.

So I too some pics of the inside and underside (The first pic that is pink insulation and not rust you see). Looks pretty good here.

Do you guys see anything I should have looked at? Looks pretty good to me.

I have to wait until Monday to drive it, SOS was closed when it arrived and not open on the weekend:( But I did sit in the drive and listen to the engine:bow:

Pedals:

Visors, not sure what to think here, the visors look in person allot older than the rood lining. Maybe they replaced that but it matches perfect.

Back seats, they kept the speakers....still trying to get the 8-track to work:D

Inside of door, the glue is coming off the carpet:

Wheel and gauges, most of them work:

Now for underneath, best I can get without jacking it up. Note that is not oil dripping but appears it had that under spray done. Looks like the same stuff on my 2007:

Here I think the gas tank might be leaking, I'll have it checked out next week:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I would look to see if you have a gas tank sending unit leak, looks wet on the tank. Also, rear end pinion seal leaking, looks like it's slinging oil. May just be some weird undercoating. Passenger side sway bar bushing on the frame looks like it may be time to change.
Looks good, no rust, congrats.
With a 4 speed 455, you need to drive the car! You will fall in love with the Torque. Be carefull with the brakes. 4 wheel non power drums do not stop like new cars.
Those are cool traction bars, and what are the tires, street ETs? It's set up to run, should be a fun smoke machine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It has Lakewood 20188 Traction Bars Coil Spring and Hoosier 275/60/15 D.O.T. Drag Radial tires. I also have the matching red lines that are in the front.

What pic are you looking at when you say it's flinging oil? The pic under the steering wheel that is that tar stuff, I had to feel it to be sure, buts its the tar undercoating. Looks like they gave it a quick spray when putting in the exhaust.

I heard I can get a trim kit for this, anyone got a link to some good kits? I seen a few that people complained about the alignment.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can I run "today's" pump gas without any type of additives? And Valvoline VR1 racing oil? Not looking at cost, wouldn't synthetic be better? Or the oldies really need that zinc?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
You need to calm down Batman. Take one step at a time. Start with the gas tank leak. Then find out where your wiper switch went.....The under carriage looks good. The steering column cover is cosmetic. It sounds like you don't like the car?! There is an answer for every problem Bro....:cheers Eric

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol, no, I like the car allot.

I knew about the wiper switch when I bought it. He said it needed one. Looking at the paperwork it looks like he had it in the shop twice to have the thing fixed. So not sure the problem yet.

I didn't even notice the column cover. I'd have to look at other pics to compare.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts