Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given my gto by my uncle is has been garage kept for 40 yrs! problem is he took the motor half apart baasically down to the block! my quesistion is, is the motor trashed or can it br restored i have the orginal heads intake carbs 3 deuce setup and the orginal carter afb 4 barrel that was orginally on it! body has slight wear and tear! due to crap being set on top of it for years! butr otherwise straight! I NEED HELP!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66 gto

They look good! i havent put the motor back together as of yet! a touch of rust though!

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it was fouling plugs, my bet is on oil fouled (worn out rings).

Take the engine to a reputable engine building shop. Tell the shop it's fouling plugs and go from there.

Shop will likely quote you for a basic rebuild (they need to tear it apart to really get an accurate diagnosis).
A basic rebuild consists of new piston rings, rod and crank bearings. I'm sure the pistons and crank themselves are fine.
Cams are cheap so you might want to replace that while you're in there ($100+).
The heads will be looked at as well as the valve seats will likely need to be re-cut.

The same shop probably rebuilds carbs (or knows someone who does) so get a quote on that as it will need to be gone through after sitting for 40years. If it's a tri power, three carbs WILL get pricey to rebuild.

Been a while since I've had an engine freshened up but you are looking at around $2k+ (all depends on what is needed).

You are ONE lucky SOB to get handed a 66GTO. Wish I had your problems right about now.
:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
rebuild it.
:agree. Find a reputable shop nearby, preferably one that knows something about 389's. get it rebuilt. The trips will also need to be gone through. Be prepared to spend $200-300/ carb if you don' feel comfortable doing it yourself. If it's not a documented tripower car you might just want to put the 4 barrel on it and save some money. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts