Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so I decided I would start a thread and show the progress on my 66 GTO. I have asked questions here and there and really appreciate all the help I have received. I picked this car up 2 years ago for my 21st birthday. The car has sat in my dads shop the past 2 years with very little work being done to it. Since my college athletic career has ended I have been able to put a lot of time into this project. I started this christmas break with no experience and a brand new mig welder :cool I will do the entire car myself including paint. I will post up pics of what I have done and continue to update my progress.

I know some may look down on the way I am restoring this car but I am on a very limited budget and am doing this almost entirely by myself, with a little help from my dad. I started with zero experience an of course suggestions are always welcomed.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after looking the car over good I realize I am in way over my head. I have a lot of hours into this car and I can honestly say it should have been a donor car. Just about everything needs to be worked on.
So we decided to do a redneck frame off and me and my pops pulled the body off and suspended the car with 4 sawhorses and a couple 4x4's I then set about fixing both front floor pans.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I won't bore everyone with a step by step of what I have done and will bring the restoration up to speed from when I started in december. I have welded in the floor pans and have just recently painted the inside of the car including cleaning out everythign under the dash and painting it as well. I have also painted most of the frame (sandblaster broke and am waiting to finish up the a-arms and crossmember). Like how I have it hoisted up lol, like a said this is a low budget restoration. I have repaired the front window section where the corners have rusted out. This past weekend I replaced the rear deck filler and am currently working on patching around the rear windshield area.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
looks like your doing a fine job....nothing wrong with doing things on a budget, these cars are for driving get it on the road and have fun. My Tempest was a budget build, luckily i had no welding but i did it all myself including paint in a 8 month span....and i had'nt wrenched on cars in 20 years when i started....:cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
Hey Logchain,
No one here's going to make fun of you. Hats off to you for jumping in and taking this on yourself. You're going to learn a lot and you'll have something to be proud of when you get done. Even guys like Chip Foose and George Barris had a "first car" somewhere along the line, they weren't born knowing how to do this stuff.

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Logchain, most of us got into this car thing when we were young. You're doing great, in my opinion. You're learning valuable skills, being constructive, and you'll have a killer rend-product. If you want to see ROUGH, pull up some of Too Many Projects' posts on the '67 he's doing. Your car is a cherry compared to what he began with. Nobody is here to put you down....we all want to see you succeed, and we're all here to help. Another '66 GTO on the road sounds pretty good to me!!
Jeff

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate all the support guys. Car has come a long ways but still got a long ways to go. Still need to do the entire trunk as well as both quarter panels. Both wheelhouses are in rough shape and one will need to be replaced due to a collision to the quarter panel that has nearly an inch of bondo on it. I didn't know they could build it up that high lol. Im going to attempt to do the quarters on my own, has anyone done them before and how hard is it? Also I get the motor back this week :cool

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just A quick update. Got my transmission back today, had it totaly rebuilt. Have a total of 520 in it so came out pretty good. The machine shop also called me and told me my motor is ready to be picked up :cheers Gonna swoop it up Thursday. Things are startin to come together.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Logchain,
Exactly what the other guys said. We're all crazy enough to restore these cars,
so we all help each other out.
Lots of experience and knowledge here. I'm glad you are part of the gang,
and the car is coming along great!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
LogChain,Take a look at what I started with......this is my 5th GTO. You will know every inch of that sweetie when you get done!!! Eric :cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hats off to you for doing this project and not paying someone else to do it.!! This will be a great learning experence for you in more ways than can see.:seeya:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appreciate all the support. Its definitely a trip, caused a lot of headaches so far. Eric I looked at some of your projects and it makes me feel better about mine lol. Picked the 389 up today from the machine shop :cheers guy did a great job. Can't wait to get it put together and fire it up.

Gettin closer to assembling the car, lookin to make a big push here in the next month or two and get the car on the road. I have a quick question about wiring. Im gonna replace all my wiring and found a complete wiring harness on ebay. Its a lot cheaper than going through Ames or OPGI. Wondering what you all thought about it?

64 65 66 67 PONTIAC GTO WIRE WIRING HARNESS KIT 1964 1965 1966 1967 510188 | eBay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Looking great and good for you for taking it on yourself! I'm doing a project now too and didn't have the stones to take on what you're doing.
I do a lot on eBay and one tip I've learned is to always look at the seller's feedback. "Mako 1972" has 100% positive feedback with nearly 2,000 transactions so I would say he's relatively safe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been awhile since I have posted and a long time since I worked on the car. Just finished up spring ball last week so finally got home to get some work done. Finished up the outsides of the rear window and got hooked up with a guy on ebay that cut the top back of the roof off a donor car and mailed it to me so should have that wrapped up soon. Patched up the drivers side rear wheelhouse which was a bear. I have also started in on the trunk. Got a lot of little things to wrap up then were gonna drop the body back on the frame. Lookin to start workin again and get the money flowin, gonna pay to have the quarters replaced and more than likely shoot it with epoxy primer and clear coat for the rest of the summer until I can save up for a good paint job :lol: That is unless I get ballsy enough to paint it myself.

AlsoHow hard is it to do fender patches? One of mine needs to be patched, wondering about difficulty. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
the epoxy primer will be fine on its own, it dries hard and is non porous and solvent proof once cured, actually you want to spray a coat of epoxy before you do filler, it will bond much better with the epoxy as a sealer coat. When you get body done hit it with a few coats if you plan on waiting for paint, if not paint over the high build primer. May as well rent a booth and squirt it yourself too, not that difficult if you follow procedure and it will save you a ton of cash.....i know....;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Instg8ter you always boost my confidence. I was gonna hit it with epoxy before body filler. I am toying with the idea of doing it all myself. How hard is body filler work? I heard its like 200+ hours, im not looking to get razor sharp body lines but I do want it to look good. Also what paint gun did you use? If I can save some money and not botch it up to bad I'm down to try it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Thanks Log, thats what we are here for, You Can Do It!!...and yes you will spend many hours block sanding but that is the key to a nice paint job...the spraying is done in around 8 hours, so the body work is 90% of the job. Who else will care more about the finish of your car than you?...that is why a GOOD paint job costs so much, your paying for them to care. Look up Paintucation forum, lots of good folks and info there to help you make a decision, thats where Bear learned and look at that Black Beast(hardest color to spray). If you decide to tackle it let me know i have a great prep sheet that a painter buddy wrote for me, and i am sure Bear and others will chime in with some tips. I would suggest trying to rent a booth for the color and clear, usually they will let you use the good guns along with masking equipment. As for the primer a Harbor Freight or other midrange HVLP gun will be fine for spraying the primers in your garage and for practice (any goofs will get sanded away). Take a peek at my photobucket it shows the progression of the whole process, if i do another i am gonna put a camera on a wall mount and shoot a pic from the same angle every time, think it would be neat to have a slide show movie from beginning to end in time lapse.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Looks like it's coming along. Just got mine sanded down and a epoxy primer on it. Talk about seeing every ding dent and wave. Just take your time. Nice thing is./ If you screw up. let it dry and sand it off and start over. I have way more time than money so I do what I can. Thankfully I have no time frame to be done so the only pressure is wanting to drive it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, well im pretty sure I will try and tackle it myself. Actually I ordered some sanding blocks on Eastwood last night along with some epoxy primer lol. Couple more questions, whats the best way to get all the old paint off my car, should I take it to someone or strip it myself by hand? Also what body filler do you prefer, I get confused with all the different types?
facn8me your car looks great man cant wait till I have mine in primer and Instg8ter your photobucket is going to be a big help. I appreciate all the advice guys.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts