Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
sorry guys, meant to post on the general discussion, Not sure if thread can be moved

Ram Air manifolds are sexy.

Having papers is nice too :cheers.

Looks like a great project, is that the original engine to the car?

Ok, you said this dog was rare. Starlight black, HO 400, column shift, ralley gauges, power seat, heavy duty (boxed) frame and a tow package ?!?!?! Unreal. I'd love to meet the guy who optioned this thing out.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yes its original motor and trans. car was ordered by a doctor. He wrote a letter to pontiac explaing all the options he wanted. I have this original letter also. car was very intersting to me with the options and documentation. An h.o. car with a/c and column shift not to mention endura delete is unheard of. Add the box frame and tow package and its almost comical. will have more pics posted soon. almost forgot, also have original build sheet in mint condition. heres pic of build sheet and motor stamp

Attachments

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was planning on putting console with his/hers but now starting to wonder if I should leave it all original.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
I would vote original on this particular car myself. Just too unique and you have all the documentation to back it up.

·
Super Moderator
5,744 Posts
:agree That's a very cool car. If you do decide to change it up a little, then I'd recommend keeping all the original parts and try to preserve the ability to put it back that way.

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I agree. Your car is so rare, and well and uniquely optioned, to change the shifter would detract from the overall coolness factor. I looked at the info...it states "heavy duty frame". Does your car have a boxed convertible style frame? Even rarer. Neat ride, and well worthy of a restoration, IMO. It's a really special and non-typical GTO that would really gather a crowd at a car show or event.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ad me to the leave it original crowd.

That is a once in a lifetime car, the chance to restore a rare option car that you have ALL the documentation on. :eek: I am certain I am not the only one that's jealous of that find.

Good luck with it and we are all looking forward to seeing the updates on how it's coming along.

S

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ad me to the leave it original crowd.

That is a once in a lifetime car, the chance to restore a rare option car that you have ALL the documentation on. :eek: I am certain I am not the only one that's jealous of that find.

Good luck with it and we are all looking forward to seeing the updates on how it's coming along.

S
As much as Im not a fan of column shift I agree with you guys and will leave it the way it was born. :agree

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
frame is boxed. dont know whats more rare, the boxed frame or the delete bumper. I think the original owner was blindfolded and threw darts at the option board

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update

I have located the original owner of my car. Dr henry Walter Abernathy. I have his phone number and will contact him tomorrow. I am going to ask him questions on the options like reason for trailer package, chrome bumper and anything else he can tell me. Is there anything else I should ask :confused

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
You should get him to send you a letter, or an email that you can print out and keep with the car as part of its history. It will ad interest and value to your car. Documentation and provenance is highly prized these days, especially original owner, first-hand information. Priceless. I was sorting out old magazines today, and came up with an old issue of "GTO Enthusiast", a paper club mag from over 20 years ago. This magazine lists that there were a total of 2,108 Endura Delete '68's made. Of those, 16 had the Ram Air (round port) engine. It does not state how many were HO cars like yours, but it can't be a very high number. Again, you have a very special car.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I recieved a call back from the original owners son. His father is 80 years old and remembers the car well. They are going to sit down and write a story on the car including why it was ordered with the options it was. They are both very excited that the car is being restored to original. The owners wife passed away the day he sold the car to the guy I got it from back in November of last year. The original owner owned the car up till 4 months ago..This is making out to be a good story. The original owners name is still on the title. This is the original title issued when the car was purchased.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts