Pontiac GTO Forum banner
261 - 280 of 318 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Not flawless in those photos but much closer after it was all blocked. Still a lot to do before I get to painting.

I got all the 2K urethane primer block sanded with 180. I did go through to the epoxy primer underneath in several places. Because I thought I had the body very close to perfect, I decided not to spray more urethane and to just finish out the block sanding in epoxy primer and I sprayed on 2 coats.

I took these photos soon after spraying as it does dull quite a bit after drying and I wanted to show how the cigar shapes on the sides looked. It's still not as shiny as paint so it may be hard to see though.

I think it's looking really good at this point and my intention now is to get the epoxy all block sanded with 320 grit. I may need to apply a bit more epoxy to spots if I encounter any defects I see. Once that process is finished it will be time to remove all the panels from the car and start prepping for paint.
I will epoxy prime the cowl area, w/s frame, door jambs and floor before I start any painting though.

Roger hell of a job! Those gaps are perfect 👍

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Roger hell of a job! Those gaps are perfect 👍
Thank you!

Hey Roger how's the progress, any red sprayed?
Not yet, but getting closer. I called SPI to order the paint yesterday but they are having supply chain issues getting their resins and won't have the base or the clear in stock until next week at the earliest. But, I still have things I can keep busy on.
I removed all the panels from the car and primered the floor. After block sanding the quarter panels for what I thought would be the last time turned out not to be. I wasn't totally happy with the reflections I was seeing along the top of both sides. So, I've had to spray more epoxy on both of them. I've got some more block sanding to do on them tomorrow. and I think I will be satisfied this time.
I did order and receive the flat black paint that I'm going to use on the top of the dash. I think I will go ahead and get that done while I'm waiting on the red base and clear to get here.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
I got the quarters block sanded and I really like the way they reflect now. The only thing the quarters need now is a reduced coat of epoxy primer to fill any sand scratches I might have missed and I'll do that at the same time that I prime the door jambs and area around the trunk perimeter.

Yesterday and today I worked on prepping the top of the cowl, w/s frame, dash top, door jambs and trunk perimeter areas for epoxy primer. Some of those areas had quite a bit of dry primer over-spray on them that needed to be taken off. I also brushed on some epoxy primer on top of the original seam sealer that was used on the cowl and also into the trunk seal channel where spraying won't get into very well.

I'll spray black epoxy on the cowl and dash top and finish the dash top with matte black single stage urethane that I bought from Summit. I intend to start on that process tomorrow.
Then I intend to spray red epoxy primer (reduced by about 15 - 20%) on everything else.
If I get those things done and my paint order from SPI is delayed further, I will start on prepping and painting the trunk floor. However, my original plan was to get the paint done on the body first and then do the trunk floor.

Other news:

Just Dashes has shipped my dash and I'll get it on Wednesday.

I ordered a new fuel injection ready gas tank from Tanks Inc. along with a Walbro fuel pump and gauge sender kit. It has already been delivered. It's powder coated with silver and looks great.

I ordered a set of Dakota Digital VHX gauges. 12 week delivery time.

Ordered a rebuilt tilt steering column from Gary's Classics. 3 to 4 weeks.

Ordered a new rear bumper, aluminum Cold Case radiator and stock type sport steering wheel from Ames. Radiator will take a few weeks to get. Everything else was in stock and have been received.

Reactions: PontiacJim

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I got the quarters block sanded and I really like the way they reflect now. The only thing the quarters need now is a reduced coat of epoxy primer to fill any sand scratches I might have missed and I'll do that at the same time that I prime the door jambs and area around the trunk perimeter.

Yesterday and today I worked on prepping the top of the cowl, w/s frame, dash top, door jambs and trunk perimeter areas for epoxy primer. Some of those areas had quite a bit of dry primer over-spray on them that needed to be taken off. I also brushed on some epoxy primer on top of the original seam sealer that was used on the cowl and also into the trunk seal channel where spraying won't get into very well.

I'll spray black epoxy on the cowl and dash top and finish the dash top with matte black single stage urethane that I bought from Summit. I intend to start on that process tomorrow.
Then I intend to spray red epoxy primer (reduced by about 15 - 20%) on everything else.
If I get those things done and my paint order from SPI is delayed further, I will start on prepping and painting the trunk floor. However, my original plan was to get the paint done on the body first and then do the trunk floor.

Other news:

Just Dashes has shipped my dash and I'll get it on Wednesday.

I ordered a new fuel injection ready gas tank from Tanks Inc. along with a Walbro fuel pump and gauge sender kit. It has already been delivered. It's powder coated with silver and looks great.

I ordered a set of Dakota Digital VHX gauges. 12 week delivery time.

Ordered a rebuilt tilt steering column from Gary's Classics. 3 to 4 weeks.

Ordered a new rear bumper, aluminum Cold Case radiator and stock type sport steering wheel from Ames. Radiator will take a few weeks to get. Everything else was in stock and have been received.
Looking great ! Far be it for me, but doesn't working from the inside out make better sense ie the trunk and interior? Just curious and did you ever look at Speedhut gauges, you design them any way you want and they weren't to expensive, 800.00 on sale for mine the way I designed them and that's with all the sending units, shift lights, GPS speedo with 60' time, 1/4 mile, altitude, clock and a dimmer, I love them.
Speedometer Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Thanks. I don't know anything about Speedhut. First time I've heard of them. Looks really nice on your dash though. I'm just a fan of Dakota Digital. I've been using their products for quite awhile. I have their VHX gauges in my El Camino and it may be the single best mod I've done to that car.

As far as painting the trunk, I think either way works but I just envisioned it easier to mask off the body and paint the trunk than to mask off the trunk and paint the body.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
That's true but I just wouldn't want anything to happen to the paint job going in and out of the interior or trunk, just a thought but I've never done one so how would I know. I looked at Dakota but it just seemed to modern so I wanted something more traditional looking and the choices they give you to design them is incredible also they have warning lights you set for minimum and maximum readings, can even get quad gauges. I know you ordered yours but it's worth it to browse their site some really nice ideas. Then I saw how someone mated the gauges to the back of the '65 dash so they stayed recessed and it worked perfectly on mine.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
This is the one I ordered:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Yesterday, I sprayed the top of the cowl, dash top and w/s frame with black epoxy primer.

This morning I sanded the primer on the dash top with 400 grit and then sprayed 2 coats of the Summit brand single-stage urethane matte black paint.
I am very pleased with how it turned out.

I had previously painted the VIN tag with a spray can of flat black and had it taped off for priming and painting the dash. I didn't want that many coats of primer and paint on the VIN number as the thickness would cause the numbers to lose their distinctness.

Good news and not so good news:
I called SPI today and they said they got their resins delivered and are planning on mixing batches of both the red base and clear coat I have on order. They will call me tomorrow to confirm when they will be shipping to me. The not so good news is that the paint booth filters I had on order hadn't even been shipped yet. (They had let me know by email but it went into my spam folder.) Supply chain problems with that too. They couldn't guarantee when they would ship so I cancelled that order and called some other suppliers. I found one that said they could have them to me in 2 weeks so I ordered them. I am anxious to start painting red paint but I still have things I can do while I'm waiting. I may end up working on the trunk floor. I need to get the proper spatter paint though. I haven't bought that yet. Not sure what is the best to buy for that either.

I think I will drop by my local auto glass supplier tomorrow and order a new windshield. It will be interesting to see if there are any supply chain issues with that.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Looking good, ya there's problems getting anything and everything it's probably on a container ship that's parked..never have seen it so bad, going on be an interesting Christmas of gift cards.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
I am getting much closer to being ready to start painting. My paint order arrives via UPS today. I'm still waiting on my paint booth filter order though and hopefully that will be next week.
Yesterday I sprayed the door jambs and perimeter of the trunk opening with epoxy primer and sprayed the quarters again as well for a final uniform coat to seal sanding scratches and a couple of small sand-throughs. I reduced the epoxy by 15% so it would lay down a little more slick. I will wet sand it all with 500 grit.
I tried to get the best reflections on the quarters I could for these photos. I am very happy with the way they reflect now.

I had some left over activated red primer from yesterday so I decided to spray the trunk floor with it. It does have some rust pitting. I'm not sure how much the spatter paint hides that. The anal part of me wants to smooth it out real nice with some filler but not sure if it's worth the effort. I will be using a mat.
I did order a quart of spatter paint today from The Parts Place.

Next I am going to move the car into my other stall so I can get the this room prepared for spraying paint. I'll scrub the walls and floor with soap and water hose it all down. I'll wet sand the car outside and will continue working on the trunk floor if I'm still waiting on the paint booth filters.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I am getting much closer to being ready to start painting. My paint order arrives via UPS today. I'm still waiting on my paint booth filter order though and hopefully that will be next week.
Yesterday I sprayed the door jambs and perimeter of the trunk opening with epoxy primer and sprayed the quarters again as well for a final uniform coat to seal sanding scratches and a couple of small sand-throughs. I reduced the epoxy by 15% so it would lay down a little more slick. I will wet sand it all with 500 grit.
I tried to get the best reflections on the quarters I could for these photos. I am very happy with the way they reflect now.

I had some left over activated red primer from yesterday so I decided to spray the trunk floor with it. It does have some rust pitting. I'm not sure how much the spatter paint hides that. The anal part of me wants to smooth it out real nice with some filler but not sure if it's worth the effort. I will be using a mat.
I did order a quart of spatter paint today from The Parts Place.

Next I am going to move the car into my other stall so I can get the this room prepared for spraying paint. I'll scrub the walls and floor with soap and water hose it all down. I'll wet sand the car outside and will continue working on the trunk floor if I'm still waiting on the paint booth filters.
Looking great. Making some real headway on it. Here is a suggestion on the trunk. I am doing the body on my brother's 1948 International box truck. Not trying to restore it by any means, just make it a good presentable vehicle without going hours crazy on it.

I like to use the Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating, black textured finish. The can says "impact resistant & abrasion resistant." It is more a matt/shiny black and it dries textured and is some hard stuff. I am using it under the hood, inside the wheel wells, interior diamond plate floor, and bumpers.

This might be something you can put down on the trunk floor to cover the pitting and seal the trunk floor. It'll have a fine texture to it. Then go over that with your trunk spatter paint to cover. You might just want to sample the above method on a piece of sheet metal just to see how it looks. I think you may like it.

I got my spray can at Advance Auto.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Thanks Jim. That is a good idea and have done similar to that on a couple of other projects I've done. But not the Duplicolor brand. However, I don't think I will do that on my GTO trunk. Yesterday, I applied some Icing filler on the deeper pits and then sanded them along with the rest of the epoxy primer. It's looking much smoother now and with the next coating of epoxy primer (black this time) followed by sanding again, I think most if not all of the imperfections left will be hidden with the texture the spatter paint will give after that's applied.
A note here is that there isn't any rust on the bare metal. I removed it all when I blasted the trunk so it is just the left over pock marks that I'm filling and smoothing out.
One thing I will say that working on the trunk floor is hard on the lower back!

·
Registered
1968 Pontiac GTO Convertible
121 Posts
"One thing I will say that working on the trunk floor is hard on the lower back"

How much I understand you on this buddy... The only difference is that I'm still in my early 40s.......

Working on a car (ex. Engine) with your back bent for some time means days of pain and discomfort. Had slip disk operation 9 yrs ago and you never go back to how you were..

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Sorry to hear you are having issues at that young age. I've been pretty lucky but at 66 the muscles get sore and stiff a lot easier now than they used to.

So I've now worn out my fingers but do have the trunk floor looking a lot better:

I called The Parts Place today to check on the status of my order and they said their spatter paint is on back order due to supply chain issues. He said I should get it in 2 more weeks. Oh well, I'll find something to keep busy on while I wait for this and the paint booth filters.

I did roll the car out today. So next I will start the clean up on the stall to prep for painting.

I took off all the plastic sheeting and stretch wrap too. It was loaded with dust.
After seeing it in the sun, I'm still very happy with the way it is reflecting.

I'll roll the car back into the sun for the next few days to help speed up the cure of the primer before starting to wet sand it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Here's some things I've done since my last post:

I made a decision and ordered an exhaust system.
I went with the Magnaflow Street Series crossmember back kit. It's a stainless 2 1/2" system. This week I saw a '69 GTO on BaT that had that system and it convinced me that was the same route I wanted to go. No supply chain issue on that. It will be delivered next week.

Since I will soon be installing the A/C evaporator box on the body followed by the inner fenders, I ordered a new evaporator. I had read on a Chevelle forum that an '85 Chevy pickup evaporator fits inside the A body case. I liked that idea because it allows the use of an orifice tube and accumulator versus an expansion valve and POA. I think it will look more clean under the hood and I'm using an A/C compressor that can work in a cycling system with no problems. I also ordered a new blower motor and squirrel cage and the application for that is for the rear A/C in a '95 Astro Van. A few others on the other forum have done that and say it fits fine and has more blowing power than the stock motor.

I had mentioned before that the front valance for the car must have hit parking stops multiple times. I had done quite a bit of hammer and dolly work on it before the front end mock up but it still needed some more to get ready for primer. I got that done, shot a couple coats of epoxy primer on it and then applied a skim coat of filler to it. Here it is after sanding the filler:

Then sealed again with 2 more coats of epoxy yesterday:

This morning, I applied 3 coats of 2K urethane primer and then moved out into the sun to speed up the cure. Then this afternoon I sprayed 2 coats of epoxy on the inside of it.

I applied epoxy primer to the insides of the fenders using a brush. 2 coats applied with a day in between each coat.

I got the inner fenders done with epoxy over the last few days as well. I started out with 2 coats of epoxy on the undersides followed by 2 coats of 3M undercoating. I then sprayed a single coat of epoxy over the undercoating.

Then yesterday, I flipped them over and sprayed 2 coats of epoxy on the top sides. Today I sanded them some using 320 along with some scuffing with maroon Scotchbrite. I then sprayed them with 2 coats of 25% reduced epoxy primer. They are now ready for installing.

Reactions: Jetzster

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Looks great! This thread should be converted into a restoration guide👍 I just hope you're not afraid to drive it and get it dirty because I would 😉

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Here's some things I've done since my last post:

I made a decision and ordered an exhaust system.
I went with the Magnaflow Street Series crossmember back kit. It's a stainless 2 1/2" system. This week I saw a '69 GTO on BaT that had that system and it convinced me that was the same route I wanted to go. No supply chain issue on that. It will be delivered next week.

Since I will soon be installing the A/C evaporator box on the body followed by the inner fenders, I ordered a new evaporator. I had read on a Chevelle forum that an '85 Chevy pickup evaporator fits inside the A body case. I liked that idea because it allows the use of an orifice tube and accumulator versus an expansion valve and POA. I think it will look more clean under the hood and I'm using an A/C compressor that can work in a cycling system with no problems. I also ordered a new blower motor and squirrel cage and the application for that is for the rear A/C in a '95 Astro Van. A few others on the other forum have done that and say it fits fine and has more blowing power than the stock motor.

I had mentioned before that the front valance for the car must have hit parking stops multiple times. I had done quite a bit of hammer and dolly work on it before the front end mock up but it still needed some more to get ready for primer. I got that done, shot a couple coats of epoxy primer on it and then applied a skim coat of filler to it. Here it is after sanding the filler:

Then sealed again with 2 more coats of epoxy yesterday:

This morning, I applied 3 coats of 2K urethane primer and then moved out into the sun to speed up the cure. Then this afternoon I sprayed 2 coats of epoxy on the inside of it.

I applied epoxy primer to the insides of the fenders using a brush. 2 coats applied with a day in between each coat.

I got the inner fenders done with epoxy over the last few days as well. I started out with 2 coats of epoxy on the undersides followed by 2 coats of 3M undercoating. I then sprayed a single coat of epoxy over the undercoating.

Then yesterday, I flipped them over and sprayed 2 coats of epoxy on the top sides. Today I sanded them some using 320 along with some scuffing with maroon Scotchbrite. I then sprayed them with 2 coats of 25% reduced epoxy primer. They are now ready for installing.

You're going an awesome job - this car is going to last into the 22nd century with care.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
You're going an awesome job - this car is going to last into the 22nd century with care.
Thanks! I hope so.

I sprayed 20% reduced epoxy primer on the doors and underneath side of the trunk lid today. Tomorrow I will spray the top side of it. All the panels will then be ready for the final wet sanding with 500 grit.

Over this past week I sprayed what I thought was the final application on the hood and both fenders but noticed reflection flaws that I didn't see before. Very minor but required blocking and a re-application of reduced primer. I blocked those areas using 400 and guide coat again after the 2nd application as well. I'm happy with everything now.

Great reflections on the doors. No problems there.

I've got the other panels out in the sun to bake the primer well.

If the trunk lid is good to go after spraying tomorrow, I will start getting the work room cleaned up to prep for paint. I did receive the spray booth filters late last week so I've got everything I need now.

It shouldn't take long to get the quarter panels wet sanded. I've had the car outside to let the sun bake the primer during the day and covering with a tarp at night to keep the dew off.

261 - 280 of 318 Posts