Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Im new to this site so I hope Im putting this in the right place. My project isnt so much a "restoration" as it is more a "transformation" since Im turning my 70 Lemans Sport into a 70 " Judge" tribute car (so to speak). I know it will never be a "true" Judge and Im ok with that, I just love the looks and style of the Judges so Im building the car to my liking but with some of the Judge attributes. So far I have purchased a complete, running, date coded 70 YZ Ram Air 3 engine, with #12 heads, original intake and exhaust manifolds, etc. for $1200.00. I also just purchased a complete 70 endura bumper (nose) with brackets and everything for $750.00. Im currently looking for a 4 spd. tranny set up for it, as I have always prefered manual trans over automatics, thats just my preference. I will try to post a couple pics of the car as it sits right now. I was lucky to buy a car with excellent floors, trunk, etc. and the guy had already put a true 70 GTO hood with the original hood tach on it (the tach is not on the hood in the pics but I have it), I also purchased an original rear trunk wing for it as well, anyhow the whole car is very clean and I wont need to replace anything due to rust, but I will have to get new front fenders to go with my 70 endura nose. I will try to remember to post pics as I continue thru the project. Thanks for looking, I hope I can pick some brains here as Im sure I will need some expertese from time to time.
Best wishes to all,
Jeff (Agmans70Goat)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Don't you the word "tribute" 'cause that's like fingernails on a chalk board. Don't use "clone", or "recreation" either. Be a man and call it what it is, a Lemans done up as a Judge, period. I never liked the front bumper on the '70 Tempest/Lemans, so the GTO nose is the way I would go myself. (y)

Looks like a good project with a solid foundation. A resto-mod gives you a lot of clearance as to what you can do with the car. I'd go with a 5-speed if you plan on doing a lot of driving and/or highway speeds. More money, but more versatile. If you go 4-speed, you will need a minimum of a 3.23 gear out back and the wide ratio trans. I'll bet you have 3.08's or something in the 2's for a gear ratio. You can find out by looking at the 2-letter code on the axle tube. Less than 3.23's and you will have a hard time getting the car rolling without a lot of clutch slipping and that means wearing out the clutch prematurely.

You will want to add the rear sway bar and front chin spoiler. Not all Judges had the chin spoiler, but mine did and I think it adds to the look. The correct stripes will have the 3M reflective tape, while some kits are just decals that won't have that feature.

So keep posting your progress and ask all the questions you need.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks PontiacJim, I appreciate the input, and I dont like those words either but thought I would use it once just to give a basic idea of what my intentions are, so to speak, but "restomod" is the word I would put to it. Im building it completely to my liking with no intention of trying to pass it off as anything other than what it is.

I am putting a different axle under it with gearing to work with probably a M 20 wide ratio tranny, because I can afford one of them. lol

Im sure I will run into some hickups along the way, that will call for me asking for assistance or technical help of some kind. For instance I do want to get the best kit for the Judge stripes, but Im not sure who sells them, maybe you could tell me where to look? I am going with heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars, and I also like the Judge chin spoiler, Ive seen a couple repops but Im wondering how good they really are, do you know if the originals were steel, fiberglass, rubber, or ??? Also who sells a good aftermarket one (as I doubt I will find an original for sale)?

Anyway, thanks again, Im looking forward to this project, meeting people on this site and elsewhere, and just getting it done. I will try to post as many pics as possible if anyone is interested.

Best regards

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, one of my biggest concerns is just getting my endura nose done right to hopefully avoid the dreaded cracking! I have read about someone "beefing up" the top area where people tend to lean on, to help keep it from cracking as well, but Im not sure how they accomplished that??? Im hoping I can find a good body/paint man in my area that can assist me with that, as I feel my bodyman skills are not up to snuff for doing it myself. The car itself is very solid so I have a great base to start with, its really just sanding, priming, and painting for the body, other than installing the rear wing, and replacing the front fenders and doing the endura nose.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I would go with Ames performance they have been good people to deal with National Parts Depot is another.The only thing I think you will have trouble with is finding the endura bumper support Have not seen it in catalogs seen a used one on eBay for $1500

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Pontrc, in regards to the endura bumper support, the one I purchased came with all the buckets, bezels, and brackets to connect it, so Im not sure Im understanding what part you are refering to? Here is a pic of the back of it, maybe it can help with telling if Im missing something?
Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I can tell, looking thru the books and manuals I have, it appears like I have everything to connect it, however, this is my first 70 GTO build so I definitely could be wrong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Judge chin spoiler, I believe, was plastic. It was not metal. They can be had aftermarket. Not sure what brackets/bolts may be needed to mount it: 1964-72 GTO Front Spoiler

The stripes having the correct 3M reflective tape is also available aftermarket. Stencils & Stripes offer them: 1970-71 "THE JUDGE" - Decals & Stripe Kits
Thanks so much, I really appreciate you and other people with the experience and knowledge being willing to help people like me who dont (at least when it comes to this build, its my first GTO build).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way Jim is right that spoiler adds to the look ! Trying to find one for my 72
I totally agree, I found several cars with it and it really does make a sharp and noticable look of the front end. I really like it and am going to purchase one for sure. I hope youre able to find one for your ride as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I could use some input on front fenders, would it be best to try and find originals, or is there repop's that are close enough to factory that they fit and line up so a guy doesnt have crazy gaps?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts