Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Pontiac Dealer, and they told me that you can't replace the battery on your remote, you must buy a new one for 58.00 dollars can you believe that! No battery replacement? I never heard of such a thing

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You're doing better then me. I'm still using my original and have the backup in the computer drawer but was told that the key plus programming specific to my vehicle would be over 100 bucks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I went to the Pontiac Dealer, and they told me that you can't replace the battery on your remote, you must buy a new one for 58.00 dollars can you believe that! No battery replacement? I never heard of such a thing
Thats BS if someone put one in the first time, it can sure as hell be done again. It may not be easy, but it can be done.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The battery in our key fob is not replaceable as it is indeed soldered in and the whole unit must be replaced for about $100 including programing. Should get about 2 years of use out it though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I opened the key fob and the battery is soldered in its a 2032 lithium 3V I removed the solder popped the clips that hold the battery in place put the new one in placed a silicon gasket that I cut to size one on top of the contact and one under the bottom contact to keep the battery in place then I glued the unit back together and what do you know it worked all for $2.50 cents the price of the battery
what a rip off

·
Registered
212 Posts
I opened the key fob and the battery is soldered in its a 2032 lithium 3V I removed the solder popped the clips that hold the battery in place put the new one in placed a silicon gasket that I cut to size one on top of the contact and one under the bottom contact to keep the battery in place then I glued the unit back together and what do you know it worked all for $2.50 cents the price of the battery
what a rip off
That's the kind of things you can do when you don't listen to all of the know it all's that say it can't be done. :cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
what a rip off
i removed the 2 small screws now how do you pop it open? its not budging!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts