Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I took my dad's Avalanche out to go pick up some tires for cheap from a buddy of mine for my GTO. My dad takes my GTO out to lunch and to the grocery store.

Well, here is where the fun begins, while I'm shopping in Circuit City my dad calls me. He says "the front bumper has fallen off" my car. Now, I say sarcastically, "a front bumper just doesn't fall off, wtf did you hit"? Well while at the Food Lion like a dumbass he pulls up to far and hits one of those cement stoppers that are supposed to hit your tires when you pull up far enough. Well they have 2 pieces of metal rebar that holds them in the pavement. He heard the car scrape a little pulling in and went to back up a little to come off of it. But the rebar stuck up out of the cement stopper a good 3 inches. The rebar caught the bumper and ripped it out of every screw hole but one. Just like you'd rip notebook paper out of a binder. The bumper he said was just laying on the ground. Only connected to the car for about 6 inches on the extreme left side by the tire.

Needless to say I was pissed. He then tells me the Food Lion mgr. claims that the people that own the parking lot/shopping center will pay for it to be fixed and that he doesn't need to worry about it.

From my experience in the past of hearing about these things, is since he hit it that he'll have to use our insurance to pay for it. Got home and looked at it. Other than being ripped from the car, the bumper is in one piece. He had to put electrical tape on it to even get it home. My guess is it's probably going to need 2 new inner fender inserts since the bumper came ripped apart from them, and obviously a new bumper. Luckily I'm taking it to the dealer that my friend works at who will be doing the painting to it. But I know with friend's experiences that it is usually a pita to match bumpers to the rest of the car.

My guess is it's a good $2k damage for parts, paint, labor, etc.

Probably won't have the car back up and running until 06 and I'll have to drive his ****ing truck until then. :willy:

My question is, how hard is it to get replacement parts for these cars? How long will I be waiting appx?

G

·
fat nick said:
Well today I took my dad's Avalanche out to go pick up some tires for cheap from a buddy of mine for my GTO. My dad takes my GTO out to lunch and to the grocery store.

Well, here is where the fun begins, while I'm shopping in Circuit City my dad calls me. He says "the front bumper has fallen off" my car. Now, I say sarcastically, "a front bumper just doesn't fall off, wtf did you hit"? Well while at the Food Lion like a dumbass he pulls up to far and hits one of those cement stoppers that are supposed to hit your tires when you pull up far enough. Well they have 2 pieces of metal rebar that holds them in the pavement. He heard the car scrape a little pulling in and went to back up a little to come off of it. But the rebar stuck up out of the cement stopper a good 3 inches. The rebar caught the bumper and ripped it out of every screw hole but one. Just like you'd rip notebook paper out of a binder. The bumper he said was just laying on the ground. Only connected to the car for about 6 inches on the extreme left side by the tire.

Needless to say I was pissed. He then tells me the Food Lion mgr. claims that the people that own the parking lot/shopping center will pay for it to be fixed and that he doesn't need to worry about it.

From my experience in the past of hearing about these things, is since he hit it that he'll have to use our insurance to pay for it. Got home and looked at it. Other than being ripped from the car, the bumper is in one piece. He had to put electrical tape on it to even get it home. My guess is it's probably going to need 2 new inner fender inserts since the bumper came ripped apart from them, and obviously a new bumper. Luckily I'm taking it to the dealer that my friend works at who will be doing the painting to it. But I know with friend's experiences that it is usually a pita to match bumpers to the rest of the car.

Probably won't have the car back up and running until 06 and I'll have to drive his ****ing truck until then. :willy:

My question is, how hard is it to get replacement parts for these cars? How long will I be waiting appx?

I wouldn't pay for it through your insurance, have them pay for it completely, if you go through your insurance, it will raise your rates

Also, might be a good time for a Manaro front end conversion.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob in CT said:
I wouldn't pay for it through your insurance, have them pay for it completely, if you go through your insurance, it will raise your rates

Also, might be a good time for a Manaro front end conversion.
How could I get that to work? Just get the dealer to order it for the car? I know I will at least make sure I get some SAP grilles out of it though

·
Registered
32 Posts
Repair

I had a little accident that required my front end to be repaired too. The problem wasn't them finding or getting the parts, it was them not knowing how to fix the car properly. After it was "fixed", it took about another 2 1/2 weeks before I would accept the car. They couldn't seem to get the bumper aligned properly. Now, after a few months, the bumper seems misaligned again. My biggest gripe was (is) I took the car to a F*CKING Pontiac dealer! (no offense Steve). The bumper is not on properly, the paint is peeling off, and they say that I need to leave the car for a month for them to fix it. I called Pontiac who after a week called me back and said that while it wasn't their policy to recommend dealers, they recommended that I NOT continue to go to Rydell GM and that they had filed "administrative action". The rep told me that he had problems with the dealer and that there was not much that could be done. Just be careful where you go with your baby and I wish you better luck than I had.

·
Registered
558 Posts
They pay, not you

Nick, by no means should you be paying for this repair--ultimately. I work for a major grocery chain in Arizona, and we have to deal with this kind of thing now and then. Let me walk you through it.

First, most grocery stores are merely tenants in the shopping centers where they're located. Someone else is the property owner (a developer, usually), and that owner probably has a property management company running things (common area issues and the like) for him. Obtain the name and number of that property management company from Food Lion.

Next, contact your own insurance agent and tell him what happened. A big part of what you pay those premiums for is times like this. If your agent is a good one, he'll take the ball and run with it, and you're out of the picture. Give him the contact info for the property management company and let him worry about it.

The first thing the property management company is going to want to do is establish liability. If the parking block had rebar sticking up out of it as you described, you're on solid footing. Rebar is supposed to be flush with the top of the parking block. Should your dad have pulled forward until the tires hit? Absolutely not! That's a practice that goes back to ancient times when cars had ground clearance. But still, people do it. If your dad had merely mangled the front end by bonking into the parking block, I say you'd be dead in the water. But the fact is, the rebar was sticking up, and it's not supposed to be. That's a dangerous situation any way you look at it. I mean, people could trip and impale themselves on that. The management company should have known better.

Talk to your insurer about going ahead and getting the repair underway. Usually, you don't have to wait until the "bad guy" admits liability to get moving. Find a reputable body shop (ask your insurer whom they recommend) and then get a move on. You don't want your baby sitting around hurt any longer than necessary! Typically, sometime during the repair, your insurer and the shopping center's come to an agreement. They cut you a check, you present it to the body shop and take your fixed car home.

Get that contact info for the property managment company and let your insurance agent do the rest. It'll work out.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
GM Kid said:
Nick, by no means should you be paying for this repair--ultimately. I work for a major grocery chain in Arizona, and we have to deal with this kind of thing now and then. Let me walk you through it.

First, most grocery stores are merely tenants in the shopping centers where they're located. Someone else is the property owner (a developer, usually), and that owner probably has a property management company running things (common area issues and the like) for him. Obtain the name and number of that property management company from Food Lion.

Next, contact your own insurance agent and tell him what happened. A big part of what you pay those premiums for is times like this. If your agent is a good one, he'll take the ball and run with it, and you're out of the picture. Give him the contact info for the property management company and let him worry about it.

The first thing the property management company is going to want to do is establish liability. If the parking block had rebar sticking up out of it as you described, you're on solid footing. Rebar is supposed to be flush with the top of the parking block. Should your dad have pulled forward until the tires hit? Absolutely not! That's a practice that goes back to ancient times when cars had ground clearance. But still, people do it. If your dad had merely mangled the front end by bonking into the parking block, I say you'd be dead in the water. But the fact is, the rebar was sticking up, and it's not supposed to be. That's a dangerous situation any way you look at it. I mean, people could trip and impale themselves on that. The management company should have known better.

Talk to your insurer about going ahead and getting the repair underway. Usually, you don't have to wait until the "bad guy" admits liability to get moving. Find a reputable body shop (ask your insurer whom they recommend) and then get a move on. You don't want your baby sitting around hurt any longer than necessary! Typically, sometime during the repair, your insurer and the shopping center's come to an agreement. They cut you a check, you present it to the body shop and take your fixed car home.

Get that contact info for the property managment company and let your insurance agent do the rest. It'll work out.
:agree

Also, have them pay for a rental car while your car is in the shop.

·
Registered
165 Posts
fat nick said:

Shouldn't take to long to get the front valence (bumper). Biggest delay will be getting it painted.

I had to replace the front valence on my Goat because one of the crappy plastic clips that fasten it at the front of the wheel well broke and let the valence stick out about a half inch. Got the new part in about 4 days. The paint job took about another week and a half. Fortunately they did a good job with the paint and install as the replacement front is a perfect match with the rest of the car.

By the way, the grocery store should pay for fixing the car. They outa be glad someone didn't trip over the rebar and fall. That would have been a perfect lawsuit!

·
Registered
273 Posts
i actually had the exact thing happen to me on a curb at the dealership pulled it about 14 inches off car on drivers side,, the dealer ship rehung it and i took full blame knowing that it was my own stupidity and i always try to keep my distance frome curbs... my progressive agent was at my house that afternnoon and the total cost of new front bumper and paint an install was 659.00 ,, i have a 250 deduct i had a check in my po box 3 days later for 409.00 deductible not included of course it is virtually un-noticalbe and i plan to wait untill spring to fix so i can keep of of salt!!!

good luck with yours

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.