Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I emailed Pontiac yesterday on their website's contact us page and basically gave them my order number and asked them if they had any idea where in the hell my car is. A customer service rep emailed me back about an hour later with this:

"Thank you for contacting Pontiac and for your interest in the Pontiac GTO! I just checked the status of your ordered vehicle. The GTO is shipped by boat from Australia; our information indicates that the boat arrived in the United States sometime this morning. You will need to contact your dealer as they will have more detailed information on when they should receive the vehicle."

I wonder if this guy knows what he's talking about or if he just emailed me something? If he is right, I wonder how long it will take them to turn it around and get it to MS? I guess this is good news:willy:

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
CrazyAL said:
I emailed Pontiac yesterday on their website's contact us page and basically gave them my order number and asked them if they had any idea where in the hell my car is. A customer service rep emailed me back about an hour later with this:

"Thank you for contacting Pontiac and for your interest in the Pontiac GTO! I just checked the status of your ordered vehicle. The GTO is shipped by boat from Australia; our information indicates that the boat arrived in the United States sometime this morning. You will need to contact your dealer as they will have more detailed information on when they should receive the vehicle."

I wonder if this guy knows what he's talking about or if he just emailed me something? If he is right, I wonder how long it will take them to turn it around and get it to MS? I guess this is good news:willy:

IF your car is in the states, the "normal" wait is supposed to be about 2 weeks to the East coast after it is loaded on the train. Of course, depending on your location, it could be sooner. I would not hold your breath. Delays, etc... Your dealer should be able to monitor the progress of the shipping. I been there, done that :willy:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, I'm not holding my breath at all. I figure it will take two weeks to do the spolier, vin, and whatever else they do in CA before it ever makes it on a train. That's okay, middle of July is not that long away.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
sutliffhl21 said:
is the vin# applied when it reaches the states, or is that done in Australia? I wonder what else is done to it once it reaches the states.
The vin is attached to the car before it is built. The vin is stamped on the frame work etc during assembly, and is located on the build sheets. The car is built to correspond to the vin. The car cannot be built without the vin being assigned to it first. The vin is assigned and then the car is built.

When the car reaches the states, it is off loaded from the ship to the docks, inspected for USA requirements, etc. the rear wing is installed and the car is prepped for loading onto the trains, or car carriers.

To the best of my knowledge.... Only the dealer can get the information about the status of the vehicle at port. I tried to get information thru GM and got stonewalled a bunch of different times when I inquired about my order.

When the dealer finally gets the vin, that means the vehicle is offloaded from the train and is at the next step of delivery. Usually getting ready for transportation via the car carrier. Often times if you look at dealer stock on line it may show the vehicle at the dealership in their inventory but really it isn't. Even though the vehicle shows it at the dealership it is in destination to the dealer via the car carrier. After the dealer gets the vin, the vehicle is about 10 days or so away from final delivery to the dealership. I am sure a dealer on here can correct me if I am wrong, or if that procedure has changed but that is the procedure that was explained to me as I awaited the arrival of mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.