Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think it's about time me and my dad restored his 1970 GTO.

Quick backstory. My dad's owned his GTO since 1971 as the 2nd owner. I had always been obsessed with it and bought my own 1970 GTO after high school. Fixed it up a bit and sold it for a 2005 GTO so we'd have one new and one old in the family. Ended up buying a condo and having my daughter so sold that car.

Now my dad is retired and i'm trying to encourage him to restore his GTO.

Here's the deal. It's a 1970 Pontiac GTO with the 4 speed 400 motor.

It's only got 72,000 miles on it! Numbers matching unmolested car!

Always garage kept and driven between April - August in Wisconsin.

It's got power steering, power disc brakes, hood tach, and the rare " VOE- Vacuum operated exhaust mode" tiger button :)

My dad has always babied this car and never beat on it or driven farther than a few hundred miles at a time.

Problem is he has lost his interest in it and just plans on leaving it to me.

I'm trying to convince him to restore it with me. He has great mechanical abilities and i'd love to work on the car with him now that i'm older and ready for it!

Any advice/tips etc?

The car runs great still. No problems at all. Drives like it came off the showroom floor. The interior still looks brand new as well except for the back panel where the speakers go.

It really only needs some body work from a little rust, paint, and maybe a go over of the engine??

I'll get more pics soon. Here' a quick pic I snapped with my phone. Last year for fathers day I bought him a new bumper since my old 70 had one. It's the only thing he's changed to the car, but he kept the stock bumper for restoration purposes!

-Tommy

Attachments

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Very nice. As far as your dad, tell him what you're telling us. If he knows how much you want this to be a father/son project, I bet he'll come around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been nagging him to redo it for years. Now I am more serious about it than ever!

I'm afraid as the years go on, the car will be harder and harder to restore. It's only been driven 10-20 miles a year for the last 5-8 years. He just warms it up to change oil and check for problems.

I'm thought buying him the bumper would get him motivated. I'm looking to buy him the VOE mufflers to maybe help spark his fire again :) They are expensive though! dang

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've been nagging him to redo it for years. Now I am more serious about it than ever!

I'm afraid as the years go on, the car will be harder and harder to restore. It's only been driven 10-20 miles a year for the last 5-8 years. He just warms it up to change oil and check for problems.

I'm thought buying him the bumper would get him motivated. I'm looking to buy him the VOE mufflers to maybe help spark his fire again :) They are expensive though! dang
if hes not motivated dont tear it down. i have seen too many unfinished restorations sitting around. its a lot of work.
i would just accumulate the parts to restore it in the future and leave it at that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
:agree

I would start collecting all of the parts that need to be replaced/freshened up first, and then have the body repainted. When the paint and light duty body work is done, put your freshened up trim pieces on it and get it back on the road ASAP.

Trust me, tearing a car down and building back up is one frustrating ordeal, especially if it doesn't really NEED to be done. My opinion is to keep it as simple as possible. Especially on a nice handling survivor like your dads.

·
Super Moderator
5,754 Posts
:agree

I would start collecting all of the parts that need to be replaced/freshened up first, and then have the body repainted. When the paint and light duty body work is done, put your freshened up trim pieces on it and get it back on the road ASAP.

Trust me, tearing a car down and building back up is one frustrating ordeal, especially if it doesn't really NEED to be done. My opinion is to keep it as simple as possible. Especially on a nice handling survivor like your dads.
:agree I have a 69 GTO that was my daily driver for several years, until I decided I too was going to do a "total frame off" restoration because I really wanted the car to be "perfect". It is now 25 years later since I tore it down, and I'm just now approaching the point where I may actually be able to finish it. Thats a whole lot of time that I could have been enjoying it, that I'll never be able to get back.

I don't know what magic words to give you to get your dad interested. The best suggestion I can make is what others have said, sit down with him and talk about it. Tell him that you're really interested but you can tell that he doesn't appear to be, and ask him why that is?

At the very least, the two of you ought to come out of that experience being a little closer to each other, and that's a good thing.

Bear

·
Registered
181 Posts
Whew.... 25 years. Yeah, that's rough. I'm five years into a truck build and I'm finally nearing the end of having the chassis and engine completely finished. Then I have body work to start on.

Seems like it never ends. Start out excited beyond all belief, and then slow down because after a while spending, spending, spending, spending, and more spending takes some of the wind out of your sail so ya decide to slow down for a few months. A year or so later start up again only to repeat the same process.... All the while dealing with car parts EVERYWHERE.

I won't start on my LeMans until I have everything I need to get thing past the initial goal, and that is make the thing drivable. I'll worry about "pretty" after that. Tearing them completely down takes a day. Putting them back together seems to take a lifetime.

·
Registered
668 Posts
What is there to restore? Its a survivor, leave it as is and just make it drivable if it isnt now. If it is, then dont mess with it. 72k isnt much mileage for a 70, and I wish mine looked that good even after I painted it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input.

You guys have good advice.

Honestly there is nothing wrong with it. It drives, sounds, handles, and looks great form a distance. My dad's just always talked about redoing it so it looked nicer.

Now that i'm 26 years old I thought it would be fun to do.

Maybe I can convince him to get it insured this year for the road so we can go to some car shows and get some ideas and such.

I'll post more pics soon. Only guys like you here can appreciate how well it's been taken care of it's whole life. I still can't believe how nice the interior is and how well it handles and drives for having no work done to it :)

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
welcome Blue, get him out to some shows with it, other peoples interest will get the juices flowing in him again, looks like a freshen up to me, acumulate parts while you drive it, once everythings done send it our for a gold color match paint job, don't look like they should have to do jambs.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
keep it as is for now (just cleaned up a bit for show...normal stuff) and get it and your Dad to a show...I bet it might get him interested to answer questions about who,what where, why his GTO...it might rekindle the fire...I would bet there are a LOT of stories waiting to be remembered and retold...good luck to you and your Dad...

Bill

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
What is there to restore? Its a survivor, leave it as is and just make it drivable if it isnt now. If it is, then dont mess with it. 72k isnt much mileage for a 70, and I wish mine looked that good even after I painted it.
:agree Just tweek anything to make it run top notch and drive it. That's a survivor if I've ever saw one...

·
Super Moderator
5,754 Posts
.. My dad's just always talked about redoing it so it looked nicer.

Now that i'm 26 years old I thought it would be fun to do.
There's your key, right there, in what your dad has always said about it. Sit down and ask him what he means by "look nicer" - get him to describing what he would want, get him to envision it "done" and what that would look like.

I don't know your dad, but if he's got some "perfectionist car guy" in him like a lot of us do, he might feel "stucK" -- he has a vision of what he wants but thinks he lacks the ability to make it real.

If the issues are mostly cosmetic --- paint and body --- that can be terrifying to someone who doesn't know anything about it. It was to me. I can build motors all day long but bodywork? Man that stuff was like voodoo - and that (and life) kept me stuck on my car for a loooong time. I can sure help with that, if only to tell you how I got unstuck on mine and actually learned how to do the work.

First things first though, you've got to talk with him and figure out the real reasons for his hesitation.

Dangle that carrot out there --- I know I'd do a lot for either one of my boys to get to do a project like that with them :)

Bear

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:agree Just tweek anything to make it run top notch and drive it. That's a survivor if I've ever saw one...
Thanks guys!

Honestly, I have been to dozens of car shows and even the Woodword Dream Cruise GTO only Sunday show in Michigan. I've never seen a completely stock GTO in as good of condition as my dads kept his.

It's amazing that in 1971 when he was 21 years old he had the smarts to not drive it in rain, snow, salt, etc. Garaged and barely driven it's whole life.

I guess he's just lost his passion for the muscle car thing but never wanted to let go of the Goat. I know it will be mine someday and I plan on treating it like he did. A weekend driver to cook outs, car shows, and birthday parties.

Thanks for all the input guys. It helps connecting with folks who share the GTO passion and lifestyle.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Dream Cruise is my goal date to have mine all done and ironed out, will be hitting the paint booth at the end of this month. Let me know if you get over for it , always good to meet guys from the forum. ....:cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great survivor and very cool being an original VOE car. I've struggled trying to get my father to restore his '70 Rallye 350 as well. It's been parked since '89 but is in pretty rough shape. He actually bought two other Cutlass' to use as a base to restore his car with (first a low mile survivor, but then another popped up with body work complete). I've bought him die cast replicas and even personalized plates to try to get the resto jumpstarted, but still no luck thus far.

We've always gone to all the local shows and everybody knows about the car and they ask about it every time - our family is full of hot-rodders so there is some push there as well - for these reasons, I try not to bug him too much myself. Frustrating part is, you never see Rallye's around, and there were SIX that popped up within driving distance last year - would have been so nice for him to just buy one complete... and I felt kind of bad because I kind of talked him into buying the other two cars. Before I bought my GTO, I offered to make out a deal if he bought one of the 4-speed cars locally (and sold the other two he's bought) that I'd buy his original Rallye off him and start working on a restoration (then some day we could have had matching cars!). He thought about it, but declined, so I kept on the hunt for a Goat. Hopefully I can talk him into starting it this spring, but we'll see....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tommy, since that is a true VOE GTO, it is very rare. Do you need any other parts to complete the system? Does your Dad still have any of the original muffler parts?

Please email me at [email protected]; I'd like to talk some more with you about it and see if I can help you in any way. You need to get it running as he will not believe how much better the new VOE mufflers work than the old ones did.

Tom Hand

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
great looking car, just get in that thing and drive it. I always wanted to do the same thing with my dad then i moved about 7 hours away so its kind of hard to do now. i have a 70 that i just bought i am going to fix up and give to him though. its a pretty big project hopefully i can get it done before he is dead or to old to enjoy it ha

1 - 20 of 42 Posts