Pontiac GTO Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I could read this stuff all day. I love the history and the knowledge that you older guys bring to the table. I hope that doesn't come out the wrong way, because I intend it as respect. I am probably much younger than most on the 64 - 74 section of the forum but these are the cars I've always loved (I am 44). Hands down I appreciate the insight I get from you guys.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I could read this stuff all day. I love the history and the knowledge that you older guys bring to the table. I hope that doesn't come out the wrong way, because I intend it as respect. I am probably much younger than most on the 64 - 74 section of the forum but these are the cars I've always loved (I am 44). Hands down I appreciate the insight I get from you guys.
No offense taken. I've been called the old man for about 45 years.

·
Registered
202 Posts
No offense taken. I've been called the old man for about 45 years.
Funny thing is I've had it go both ways. I had a guy I work with who thought I was his age for years. He was already middle aged when I met him back when I was 23. When I had my LeMans towed home a few weeks ago I had to call my wife for a ride because they won't let you ride with the driver right now. She pulled up just as my car was going onto the flatbed. The driver asked me "is that you mom?" When I told him she was my wife he got quiet for a second then sheepishly said "sorry". He must not have looked close. My wife is a few years younger than me and we both basically look our age. We have been laughing about it since it happened.

·
Registered
206 Posts
OK not to change the subject and certainly not to diminish the cool history were getting here.... But I ran into an issue with my 66 Gto wiring. I fixed a couple Issues under the dash. Replace the windshield wiper switch, repaired my rear speaker switch so now my rear speaker works. And now I’m trying to hook up to courtesy lights under the dash. I thought I had one hooked up before but it stopped working at one point I never addressed it. I’m having a hell of a problem trying to figure out where to hook it up at so it will shut off when the doors close via the door switches..I’m just having a brain fart and can’t figure it out. Any help out there I appreciate it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Funny thing is I've had it go both ways. I had a guy I work with who thought I was his age for years. He was already middle aged when I met him back when I was 23. When I had my LeMans towed home a few weeks ago I had to call my wife for a ride because they won't let you ride with the driver right now. She pulled up just as my car was going onto the flatbed. The driver asked me "is that you mom?" When I told him she was my wife he got quiet for a second then sheepishly said "sorry". He must not have looked close. My wife is a few years younger than me and we both basically look our age. We have been laughing about it since it happened.
Got to say...These old man stories got me laughing as well. Here are a couple more. Guy was hooking up the cable for us when the guy says to my wife"do you want to get your dad?" Its not that I look that old lol, its my wife looks younger. Aside the fact that she is. She is ten years younger than I. Her mom is 70 and looks 55. I still bring it up now and again. Also my father in law was gathering carts outside his grocery store when he said something to this young lady....she responded with f u old man. My father in law says "its not the f u that bothered him, it was the old man part"😒. Well we are older but, we got better insurance👍. Great stories OMT.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
My wife always looked younger than her age, and I was three and a half years older. I was never accused of being her father, but I was proud that they thought I robbed the cradle.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I thought I would post a couple of pictures of my wife. In the one by herself she was 48. She was getting out of the submarine ride in Oahu. The one with both of us was our 20th wedding anniversary at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. She was 39, almost 40. She passed away 1-6-2004 at the age of 59. It's something I will never get over, but at least I had a special woman for awhile.

img332 adj crop 1.jpg Las Vegas 1984 crop 1.jpg

·
Registered
206 Posts
I thought I would post a couple of pictures of my wife. In the one by herself she was 48. She was getting out of the submarine ride in Oahu. The one with both of us was our 20th wedding anniversary at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. She was 39, almost 40. She passed away 1-6-2004 at the age of 59. It's something I will never get over, but at least I had a special woman for awhile.

View attachment 135743 View attachment 135744
So sorry for your loss. I just can’t imagine what the pain must’ve been like.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Seeing a similar situation as your first hand I can hear where you're coming from. My mother passed away young too. She was 57 and that was 17 years ago. My dad is still not the same.

On a lighter note. Your wife was a looker for sure. If I did the math right, you two got married very young. Not too common these days. I've been married to my wife for 21 years which doesn't seem like a long time until you consider that she is only 41 and I am 44.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Here's a picture the day of our wedding. We were going from the wedding to the reception in my best man's '63 Catalina.

img378 smalll adj.jpg

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Before I move on to the next problems, I noticed that I had typed up a history on the Internet some years ago. It describes many more problems than I remembered. This was before I had the problems with the cam tunnels. Also there's a number typo in there that I am sure the readers will find. I will continue with the experiences later - yeah, there are more.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
OK, back to the odyssey. I had just discovered the cam tunnels were a problem in the 428 block I rebuilt twice. So I set that block aside and started over again. This time I decided to use a 400 block and cut down the 428 main journals to fit (3.25" to 3.00"). This also requires a shim kit and an Olds 350 thrust bearing to work. I attached a picture of the shim. The only reason I have a picture is that it was the wrong size. The pretty finger nails belong to my wife. You can see the relief where the shim was supposed to fit. I also upgraded my camshaft, although I don't remember why. I had been running a Comp Cam with duration of 253/260 at 0.050". Net lift with 1.65 rockers was about 0.600". Then I put in a 259/264, but I just don't remember why. I got this one running, but at the end of the cam break-in it sounded like I had a nut in one of the cylinders. It was a really loud and bad noise. Long story short, the front crank throw is a larger diameter on the 428 crank than the 400 crank. I must have turned the engine over 200 times while building it and I didn't see a problem. However, with the engine running the crank throw hit the side of the block and it "self clearanced". Well, at least I now have a 400 block that is clearanced for the 428 crank. On to another rebuild. After speaking with Jim Butler, I decided to go with an aftermarket forged crankshaft. My stock cranks had always been bullet proof, but Jim said they were starting to hear of some of them cracking. So this build would have Carrillo rods on a forged crank. No shim kit is required as the cranks are designed for a 400 block. At this time I also bit the bullet to go with a more moderate (for me) hydraulic roller. It's duration is 242/248 at 0.050" lift. Overall lift is still about 0.600" on both valves with my 1.65 stainless steel roller rocker arms. I wanted to keep compression down low enough to use 91 Octane pump gas, so I had some special pistons made. You can see that I had them dished away from the quench area. My quench was about 0.038, which is tight, but it's close to perfect. There is no pinging with my 9.7:1 CR.

I get it running, and it seems to be running great - to be continued. It's not over yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I just had to throw this one in here. It was "Grandpa's Night", so I took a picture of my second granddaughter with the engines. She's the 23 year old who is still recovering from being paralyzed. She was a quadriplegic in December. She's doing much better, but she's still got a very long way to go. My two granddaughter's came up with Grandpa's Night after my wife died. The engine on the left is the 428, and the one on the right was a 482 at the time. It later became a 505.

Grandpa's Night 004 bright.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
You are an inspiration my friend. I love that you have all these pictures in digital form. Did you scan them or have the negatives converted, or? My wife and I have a box full of pictures of our boys when they were little. There was an age gap to our youngest so all of my daughters baby pictures are digital.

Grandpa's Night sounds like it was a sweet idea to help you through a hard time.

BTW. I was really excited when I saw you post another round of stories. After reading your history I feel like I know you. This is great stuff!

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Before 2004 they are scanned, after 2004 they are digital. Sometimes the projects took so long it kind of kept me going to keep a running track of the status. I have two full books of pictures of my racecar project. I haven't scanned many of them. The racecar was finished in 2000. It took 8 years for me to finish it.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
You are an inspiration my friend. I love that you have all these pictures in digital form. Did you scan them or have the negatives converted, or? My wife and I have a box full of pictures of our boys when they were little. There was an age gap to our youngest so all of my daughters baby pictures are digital.

Grandpa's Night sounds like it was a sweet idea to help you through a hard time.

BTW. I was really excited when I saw you post another round of stories. After reading your history I feel like I know you. This is great stuff!
I’m telling you Jared he has my upmost respect

41 - 59 of 59 Posts