Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post a few photo as I begin the process of restoring my '72 Lemans. This is a weekend project and its going to be a learning experience for. I'll update photo's as i go.

The exterior.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Congratulations and good luck to you sir... Give yourself plenty of time, be patient, and most of all don't give up. There will be times when it will seem like an impossible mountain to climb and you'll wonder why you ever started --- other times it will be worse ... :D but then every so often you'll complete a milestone and you'll get to stand there and admire it, saying to yourself, "I did that?"

Hang in there and keep the photos coming. :cheers

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:agree....but the payoff comes when it's painted and sitting in your garage greeting you every morning, and you can say to yourself.........."I DID THAT" although sometimes you won't believe it yourself. When i started last September i was a self proclaimed novice as i had not turned a wrench on my own car in 25 years, once i got going i decided to do EVERYTHING myself, to save some money and i put myself on a 10 month time limit as i had the money for parts then and did not want it languishing for years. I sprayed it and pulled it out of the paint booth 10 months to the day from getting it in from Idaho and it was on the road 3 weeks later....good luck and ask for the help you need thats why we hang around here....:cheers

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g372/instg8ter/1966 Tempest/

Brian

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
No engine pictures? :)
You will be busy for a while, but try to keep in mind it is fun. Even when it isn't.

Just noticed the picture of the open seam in the vinyl top. Be prepared for lots of rust.

Russ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I've wanted to do a project for awhile now. I've never been patient enough for any type of mechanical work before but i really enjoy working on this car so far. I've given myself a three year time line to finish in. I know its gonna take alot of work but i know it can be done. I'll try to post some engine photographs soon. Pretty much everything under the vinyl is rusted through so I know I'll be replacing the entire roof and filler panel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome to the board! looks like you have a good one good luck with your project cant wait to see it come along. I love new pictures of rusty gold like has been said take your time and enjoy it :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My brother stopped by Sunday and we made a little progress on the disassembly of the car. The dash and front clip came off. Next I plan on pulling the engine and tranny, lifting off the body, and starting on the frame. The plan is to focus on one "section" at a time so that I don't spread myself out and overwhelm myself. Some photo's now.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
You're off to a great start. We're looking forward to watching your progress. Folks on this forum have helped a lot when working our resto... we started with a car similar to yours .... under the vinyl top was nothing but rot though. Ended up having to replace roof and one quarter panel. But it's coming back together now.

Good luck with the project !!
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Looks great! Label EVERYTHING!! And take lots of pics, they never go back together as soon as you planned in the beginning.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Man thats one heck of a great start. Good work. I makes me feel rather silly spending 10 hrs sanding my endura bumper. :rofl:
keep the picts comming, ya gotta love that hood

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far I've labled every nut and bolt thats come off. I expect to spend quite a bit of man hours on my endura bumper as well. Its in pretty rough shape. The boss has put a freeze on spending for the car until we get back from taking the kids to Disney in march. After that I should be able to start getting into actually doing something productive to it. Untill then I'll be grinding rust off of the battery tray and cleaning AC/defroster ducts. Dreaming of the day its done.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:agree....zip-locks, sharpies and banker boxes labeled with sub assemblies (because filing through the hundred bags you will have is a pain too)....and photos from every angle before dis-assembly. Also when apart the car will take up three times the space it will when assembled....:party:

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Something that worked for me was getting a bunch of plastic storage bins, numbering them, then taking digital photos of each bin and everything that was in it. I printed out all the photos and put them in a binder. Sure made finding things easier when it was time to start reassembly.

I owe that little idea to my bride... the organizational genius in the family.

Bear

1 - 20 of 35 Posts