Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum....I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1968 GTO convertible. I feel pretty lucky that I was able to get it. The caris in kinda rough shape....needs a lot of TLC.

Here is a picture or two...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Hello Forum....I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1968 GTO convertible. I feel pretty lucky that I was able to get it. The caris in kinda rough shape....needs a lot of TLC.

Here is a picture or two...
Welcome! Looks like a great foundation and nothing is more fun than going topless. :yesnod:

Lot of info here on the forum in which ever way you decide to build the car. Put together a plan of attack, be patient, and don't expect to rebuild it on a shoestring budget and get discouraged - do it right and do it once. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jim....cool. Thanks. My intentions are definitely to get it done right. It is a long term project for me. Noreal rush. Slow and easy and correct.
I will definitely consult this forum often.

The car will retain its original verdoro green metallic color.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome as well.....When I see a car like this, I often wonder when was that magical moment when it crossed the threshold from its original beauty to the condition its in....Realizing it doesn't happen at once, never the less, its a continuous downward spiral until it either goes to scrap or is saved by someone with the strength & desire to bring it back and restore its dignity....Remembering these cars when they were new... a 69 Verdoro Green Conv., perhaps with a parchment interior....Absolutely stunning......Keep the faith....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a QQ.....regarding front bushings......how do you know if you have oval or round bushings? I would like to buy a front bushing kit, but I dont know if the car has round or oval control arm bushings. (I have not seen the car with my own eyes yet...)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yahooooo!.....finally! My car was loaded for transport yesterday evening. Shady night op!

Next stop New Jersey shipping docks.....awesome.!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My GTO was picked up today. The anti_rust process starts.

I did a small engine service...i was very nervous that the engine was stuck...it turned fine with a breaker bar!....inspected and cleaned all plugs, checked oil/coolant, new battery..put some fuel in the bowl/carb...the animal started on the very first crank!! Shock!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My first car was a 68 Lemans. Love that body style. Yours is so much nicer being a GTO and a rag top. Keep the photos coming.

Jim

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
thanks for saving another one from the scrap heap....our cars are like land, They aint making anymore!!

have fun....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
An update. Left/right lower fender patches cut out...new patches going in. Rust treatment through and through!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts