Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was staying in a Hilton Hotel chain (Double Tree), with 24 hrs guard and surv., about around 2:30 a.m. The roving patrol saw an individual running away from my GTO and over the fence where a silver Misubishi was waiting! According to the guard my alarm did not go off, yet the filthy criminal could not start the GTO.

The criminal used a special tool to severe the driver side key lock, then tried to do the same with my ignition.

The curious thing was that a few top end Japanese and European cars were ignored. I must warn you...since it seems that our GTO's could be targeted for their engine or what ever they may be after.

Saludos!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Holy crap man. Sorry to hear this. My Trans Am got broken into 3 times. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That plain and simple sucks. How did the security guard know that the person used a special tool? Was the police called afterwards by the guard? I thought that the GTO could only be started be the key. Was anything missing from the car? What damage was caused?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hate to hear that, I hope they did not do toooooo much damage!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Dude- that sucks.

I would be willing to bet that the relatively small number of Holden GTOs that will be on the roads will make them a tempting target for chop-shop theives!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wonder....

I wonder if it might have just been some stupid kids wanting to take your car for a joy-ride. If they saw the info on the web about our cars, and they have gotten away with joy-riding in the past, it seems logical to me that they would have a "woody" for trying out one of our cars. Kids like that usually aren't very smart, which would explain why they thought they could just fire it up and take off like they could any other car that doesn't have the built-in security features like ours. A truly professional thief can get your car if and when they want it, regardless. I doubt that there is much of a market for the parts etc., on our cars yet.
What truly sucks about the situation is the damage they did to your car. You are lucky if they didn't get away with ripping things out and tearing things up in the car. I have experienced that, and it is truly a sad thing to deal with.
I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I would be thankful if they didn't do alot of damage.

Best wishes,
Maximental

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a million for your support!

The criminals were able to get into vehicle and seek around through the glove compartment and middle compartment, I mean everything was scatered around. They try to force the ignition but were not successful. The driver side lock was almost perfectly forced in then out...damaging the door panel slickness. The interior was not damaged at all except for the ignition face around cover.

The insurance (Progressive), ask me to quotes, at least two, and submit, however they strongly suggested to use their nationwide bodyshop coop chains, because they guarantee fixes as if the car was brand new. I got a quote from a NJ dealer that happens to have a body shop...for $795.00 and another within their network for $510.00....My deductable is $500.00 so it did not matter to me as far as that. The quality from both were or at least look excellent. I choosed the Progressive since it provides a life time guarantee.

The had to replace the cylinder lock, re-code, paint, coat, mix paint and the 1/4 panel damage around the door lock and some othet terminology I do not understand.

The parts will arrive this thursday, because they had to be ordered out of the country, did not make sense to me, but it will take a week just for the parts and two days for the repair.

I have to change it for a new 2005 GTO.....I just feel it was violated....! I wonder how much I will lose for the trade in market.

Saludos

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know the feeling...

it sucks!!!!!! What a shi##y thing to do to someone, huh? Well, at least you might find that you like the '05 better, if that's possible.
I had a '76 Celica that I had put a motor, trans, and good stereo in, and someone broke out the window to rip off the stereo stuff. I experienced probably very close to the feelings you are going through. I ended up fixing it back up and trading it to my sister for a '73 Buick Electra with a 455 CI big block. That ended up being a fun car too when I got it tuned up and running they way it should. Big block power is nice. :cool
I wish you well.

Maximental

·
Registered
25 Posts
qonoximiento said:
The insurance (Progressive), ask me to quotes, at least two, and submit, however they strongly suggested to use their nationwide bodyshop coop chains, because they guarantee fixes as if the car was brand new. I got a quote from a NJ dealer that happens to have a body shop...for $795.00 and another within their network for $510.00....My deductable is $500.00 so it did not matter to me as far as that. The quality from both were or at least look excellent. I choosed the Progressive since it provides a life time guarantee.

The parts will arrive this thursday, because they had to be ordered out of the country, did not make sense to me, but it will take a week just for the parts and two days for the repair.
All body shops worth anything guaranty their work for the life of the car, so don't be fooled into using an insurance company shop just for that reason. Make sure the shop can do the work.

As for the parts, all the parts are in Australia. GM has yet to flood the supply lines with replacement parts.

·
Banned
59 Posts
That Blowz..I Remember When I Caught Somebody Tryin To Steal my Radio In My 95 Chevy Blazer...He Tried To Run But He Didnt Know I Was On The Track Team!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts